U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 03:20 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,634,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I have a good friend who was born in Lebanon and she had to renounce her Lebanese citizenship to become a US citizen in 2006.
I remain a UK citizen and were I to become a US citizen I would have to officially abide by the Oath's wording likewise. Have many Brit friends who have become citizens over the years and many got to that part of the Oath and just mumbled a bunch of meaningless nothing to salve their conscience (!) and then continued renewing their UK passports as usual because the Brits don't give a toss unless you specifically go to a consulate and make a big production about officially renouncing your citizenship. The majority retain both as it makes international travel easier in many cases and, if you should ever decide to move back to the home country you can work anywhere in the EU with no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
Default Fair is fair

MYM is in a unique situation. There is no need to talk vile or irrational in this person or to this matter.
It seems simple enough. MYM at this point in time has no recourse but to follow law.
The USA is full of Europeans living and working who have, for whatever reason or by whatever means they followed, done so legally. There is also an abundance of Europeans doing so illegally.
I can not say that the European Union has extended such liberal privileges to U.S. Citizens.
I have worked in Europe often when I was part of a tour by a known U.S. entertainer. Once, when the tour ended in the UK, I decided to take a trip to Paris, as our flight back to the states was not schedule to return for 5 days. I arrived back in the UK, with my luggage, a ticket to the states on the same scheduled day and on the day my UK temporary enployment visa would expire. Regardless. I was treated by UK customs officials most severely. I was accused of trying to enter the UK to seek employment, even though I had a visa to work there and again, my luggage and ticket to the U.S. in hand.
Back and forth we went; it was surreal. Finally, although not wanting to be rude , I pointed out to them that the idea of trying to work in the UK in my profession, a profession in the UK that paid half
my U. S. salary was beyond the pale!!
There are countless Europeans (and Canadians) working in the entertainment industry in the U.S. earning enormous salaries compared to what they would get, if the could get it, in there native land.
MYM, I do respect your emotional attachment to Puerto Rico. I do not want to be rude; neither did I
when I had to clarify a few issues to UK customs. If you feel so connected then go through the process offered by the U.S.goverment available to people fron the EU. There is even a lottery system
the U.S.offers in most EU countries; virtually a green card lottery!
Countries have borders and the EU is no exception... It is quite difficult for a U.S. Citizen to work in any EU country; we have granted EU citizens far greater freedom to work in the U.S. then they to us.
Since you are so attached to Puerto Rico you should thus know that in 2012, for the first time, your people, Puerto Ricans, voted in favor of becoming a U.S. State.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,634,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz54 View Post
It is quite difficult for a U.S. Citizen to work in any EU country; we have granted EU citizens far greater freedom to work in the U.S. then they to us.
That's a common misconception. The majority of EU countries has equally strict immigration laws as the US. You can easily verify this by picking an EU country and using your personal data to determine how you would qualify; and doing the opposite by reading the US laws using the same criteria as a foreign national (USCIS site is linked in the first "sticky" on the Legal Immigration forum).

Last edited by STT Resident; 11-23-2014 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-03-2015, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 939 times
As a 12th Generation US Citizen ...I am in pain from laughing about this ""would have deal with the same immigration rules as if they wanted to live in any of the 50 states of the USA!" Due to the goal to destroy the USA from within while borders are erased and the trained military assassins, diseased, gangs, drug pushers, heinous barbarians; pregnant who res from around the world and those with hoards of illegitimates are rounded up imported into the USA...White House directed...it won't be long before pure chaos leaves our streets filled with blood..while the bought out mouth piece major media project Utopia...from former photos...ONLY...we are the most bankrupt nation on Planet Earth...not for long...

Old 06-12-2015, 12:37 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,363,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WornOutUSTaxpayer View Post
As a 12th Generation US Citizen ...I am in pain from laughing about this ""would have deal with the same immigration rules as if they wanted to live in any of the 50 states of the USA!" Due to the goal to destroy the USA from within while borders are erased and the trained military assassins, diseased, gangs, drug pushers, heinous barbarians; pregnant who res from around the world and those with hoards of illegitimates are rounded up imported into the USA...White House directed...it won't be long before pure chaos leaves our streets filled with blood..while the bought out mouth piece major media project Utopia...from former photos...ONLY...we are the most bankrupt nation on Planet Earth...not for long...
Relax, things are not nearly as bad as you think they are.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:17 PM

466 posts, read 310,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WornOutUSTaxpayer View Post
Really? The White house has sent out the call to round up all the "trained military assassins, diseased, gangs, drug pushers, heinous barbarians; pregnant who res from around the world and those with hoards of illegitimates" from the rest of the world and has had them shipped to the US? All with the express goal to "destroy the USA from within."

Wow. How about you hit that secret compound in Wyoming and dig your self in for about the next 50 years?

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-09-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 07:04 PM

39 posts, read 32,492 times
Last time I looked at my Puerto Rico Drivers License it has a PR flag and a US Flag on it. I've never had any questions on the mainland using my PR D/L. I have had people ask me how much my VISA cost and do they stamp it on your passport? I told them 25,000 per Year and that should cover all the fines for being stupid (I'm surprised San Juan hasn't put a tax on that like everything else this year but then they themselves would have to steal even more money for the fines imposed on them).
Again this is a US territory like the USVI, Guam, and The Marianas. Everyone born in those place are born US citizens and are eligible to run for the office of president. American Samoans are not born US Citizens. If you are born in Kansas all you got to do is pack your stuff up and move here the same as it would be to move to Colorado! FYI many Puerto Ricans have gave their lives in the defense of the US since the battlefields of WW1 (Puerto Ricans were given US Citizenship in 1917). On an island of 3.5 million there is approx. 300,000 retirees and vets living here!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:33 PM

4,533 posts, read 6,773,745 times
Welcome to the forum Coqui!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:25 PM

39 posts, read 32,492 times
Thanks Annie! It never ceases to amaze me that we US Citizens are that ignorant about our own nation! I've had Mainlanders ask me here in Rincon if the water goes all the way around the island.....how much does the Visa cost to live here......why does Puerto Rico use the American Dollar as currency.....Another fun filled fact that most Americans do not realize is that we Puerto Ricans do fill out a 1040 Tax form like every other American does and we do pay taxes. However Washington allows San Juan to keep the lions share of the money. Our current sales tax on the island is 11.5% and we pay an "import" tax on everything that comes by boat on top of that. Also even though Puerto Rico buys a lot of food from the Dominican Republic (80 miles from my house) it has to go back to an American port ie Miami or J'ville before it can be sent to PR or the USVI because of the Jones Act which also applies to the Pacific territories, Alaska and Hawaii. The average Joe in the states is eager to cut PR loose because of our debt but it was the US congress who encouraged the selling of municipal bonds which are in most retirees portfolios because they are triple tax exempt. Cut PR loose and most retire aged Americans will have to keep on working. Yes PR has had their share of idiots running San Juan but I've seen a lot in DC lately too and it doesn't matter if you are GOP or Democrat. Folks educate yourselves. Don't base every Puerto Rican on West Side Story and we won't base our ideas on the movie deliverance and yeah I can say that since I'm half Hillbilly and half Puerto Rican and proud of my heritage on both sides

Old 10-10-2015, 10:56 AM

7,732 posts, read 8,775,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinconcoqui View Post
Thanks Annie! It never ceases to amaze me that we US Citizens are that ignorant about our own nation! I've had Mainlanders ask me here in Rincon if the water goes all the way around the island.....how much does the Visa cost to live here......why does Puerto Rico use the American Dollar as currency.....Another fun filled fact that most Americans do not realize is that we Puerto Ricans do fill out a 1040 Tax form like every other American does and we do pay taxes. However Washington allows San Juan to keep the lions share of the money. Our current sales tax on the island is 11.5% and we pay an "import" tax on everything that comes by boat on top of that. Also even though Puerto Rico buys a lot of food from the Dominican Republic (80 miles from my house) it has to go back to an American port ie Miami or J'ville before it can be sent to PR or the USVI because of the Jones Act which also applies to the Pacific territories, Alaska and Hawaii. The average Joe in the states is eager to cut PR loose because of our debt but it was the US congress who encouraged the selling of municipal bonds which are in most retirees portfolios because they are triple tax exempt. Cut PR loose and most retire aged Americans will have to keep on working. Yes PR has had their share of idiots running San Juan but I've seen a lot in DC lately too and it doesn't matter if you are GOP or Democrat. Folks educate yourselves. Don't base every Puerto Rican on West Side Story and we won't base our ideas on the movie deliverance and yeah I can say that since I'm half Hillbilly and half Puerto Rican and proud of my heritage on both sides
Ignore the idiotic bigots, that's the best advice I can give. They are a minority within a minority. The absolute worst that can happen to Puerto Rico is a Federal Control Board and it seems that the only members of Congress who support that approach belong to the so called "Freedom Caucus" ... based on recent events it seems the "Freedom Caucus" is about to become the most hated people on Earth.

Much of the percieved 'opposition' to Puerto Rico in Congress is a result of the "Hastert rule" which states that legislation cannot come up for a vote unless the vast majority of the majority are in favor of the legislation. This also applies in committee where committee rules state that every member must agree to allow the legislation out of committee. If we scrapped the "Hastert rule" (which is becoming more and more likely) a handful of moderate Republicans could potentially team up with Democrats to pass Chapter 9 bankruptcy protections for Puerto Rico.

My advice to Puerto Rico is to hang in there, eventually the GOP will have to moderate and become more accepting of the Americans who call Puerto Rico home. Afterall, we will never again win the White House unless we win Florida, and we can't win Florida without it's Puerto Rican population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories