Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
we have different viewpoints. it might be hard to see things from my perspective if you assume i am like you. i am not a us citizen or an illegal alien. i have a european union passport from a nation where i lived for 6 years from my birth. my entire childhood after that and early adulthood until after college was spent in puerto rico. you can imagine therefore that my heart belongs to Puerto Rico, not the US, a nation that i was totally unfamiliar with all my childhood, or my birth country that i also barely knew.

and now when i return to visit puerto rico, maybe becuase i was raised by jibaros for too long, i dont feel like having to ask the united states for permission. it's unmanly - its not a political thing - its a pride thing.

statehood is for people from new jersey not for the proud, the few, the boricuas
You want to live in the US? Abide by OUR rules or get out. Go to wherever your EU passport is from ... and take the rest of the separatist circus with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,910 times
My MY WIHS2006 that's not nice. You've also sent me to leave Puerto Rico because I don't agree with your arguments. I think the thing to do is not send us away so you won't have to read our arguments, but to discuss where we're wrong. I know you get frustrated and maybe accuse us of being part of an international communist conspiricy to take over the planet, but I asure you that I'm only a Puerto Rican with ideas that are rarely discussed on this forum.

In my case , you've sent me to leave Puerto Rico too. Where should I go? Cuba? North Korea? Mongolia? I could say the same to you. You can go to Alabama, Mississippi, or North Dakota. But if you have a Hispanic accent that you can cut with a Scissor, I'd advise you to stay put.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
we have different viewpoints. it might be hard to see things from my perspective if you assume i am like you. i am not a us citizen or an illegal alien. i have a european union passport from a nation where i lived for 6 years from my birth. my entire childhood after that and early adulthood until after college was spent in puerto rico. you can imagine therefore that my heart belongs to Puerto Rico, not the US, a nation that i was totally unfamiliar with all my childhood, or my birth country that i also barely knew.
Then presumably you have a GC and you can stay on that for the rest of your life if you so choose. I've had mine for 46 years now and have never felt a desire to give up my birth citizenship to become a US citizen so don't understand your problem.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:00 AM

132 posts, read 237,407 times
Puerto Rico is an integral and important part if the US. Someday when we figure out the status problem we will have less ti argue about. I hope the resolution will be similar to the way many European nations incorporate their American land into the nation, not look at it as a colony. Statehood may also be a viable option. It is true that Congress members--particularly Republicans--would frustrate statehood because they fear PR would vote Democratic.
Independence seekers are very small and losing ground, because to exchange one political system for an unknown one is dangerous to most of Puerto Rico.
The individual who wants to live in PR on his own terms speaks nonsense. All of us in Puerto Rico are US citizens, and for the present this is cherished.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
You want to live in the US? Abide by OUR rules or get out. Go to wherever your EU passport is from ... and take the rest of the separatist circus with you.
i dont want to live in the us. nice place, lovely people. i want to live in pr.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Now you're simply being argumentative for the sake of it as there appears to be absolutely no legal impediment to your moving to and living in PR.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM

473 posts, read 796,817 times
Quote:

Well Puerto Rico falls within the realm of the US, so you have a real headscratcher

Old 06-11-2014, 11:20 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpup View Post
Puerto Rico is an integral and important part if the US. Someday when we figure out the status problem we will have less ti argue about. I hope the resolution will be similar to the way many European nations incorporate their American land into the nation, not look at it as a colony. Statehood may also be a viable option. It is true that Congress members--particularly Republicans--would frustrate statehood because they fear PR would vote Democratic.
Independence seekers are very small and losing ground, because to exchange one political system for an unknown one is dangerous to most of Puerto Rico.
The individual who wants to live in PR on his own terms speaks nonsense. All of us in Puerto Rico are US citizens, and for the present this is cherished.
Agreed, separation is not a viable option even though it may technically be a valid option. If the vast majority of Puerto Ricans can agree on one thing it is that they want permanent union with the United States, US citizenship, and equal rights with their fellow Americans in the 50 states of the Union ... they just differ on how to achieve this goal. The statehooders obviously promote statehood as the solution while the commonwealth supporters promote the development of the commonwealth with the presidential vote, voting representation in Congress, Federal funding parity, etc.

The Puerto Rico that MYM wants has not existed since the 1930s when Luis Munoz Marin came along.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM

132 posts, read 237,407 times
Well said WIHS!
You clarified the status issue in few short words.
Well done!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,310 times
Actually PR citizenship is recognized by Spain since PR was technically really never independent from Spain before being invaded by the US and given over under the Treaty of Paris. Under PR citizenship in Spain one is considered a spanish subject , so if you decided to live in Spain you can qualify for Spanish citizenship within 2 yrs of residing there as opposed to 10 for everyone else. Also along with Spanish citizenship you automatically are given European Union citizenship too.PR citizenship has always been recognized under PR statute since the 1940s people just never questioned it, whether or not it was to appease the independents doesn't matter. At the end of the day it gives every PR born in and out of the island to claim what is rightfully theirs and that is their PUERTO RICAN CITIZENSHIP because at the end of the day that's who we really are, that's what were we come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories