Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,620,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
KelaGirl, can your dog go on a plane or do you mean you are researching the option of using a boat? We brought our dog with us when we moved here. He flew (without sedation) and there were very few requirements. Feel free to DM me with questions.
Sandhillian: What airline did you use? Because American Airlines has a multitude of rules, starting with no dog can board below 45 degrees weather!

Which is the reason why I cannot longer travel abroad, since I get free miles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,739 times
Latina7 I am sending you a DM. I think the requirements vary by airline.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 01-09-2011 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 27,865 times
Sandhillian, Thanks for your reply. Did your dog fly in the cargo area? According to the information I have found, I would have to put my 35 pound australian shepherd in cargo, which at her age I think would be too stressful. Did your pooch fly in the passenger area or in cargo? And on which airline? It sounds like it was a fairly stress-free experience for you all, so I would definitely appreciate more info. Btw, what does DM stand for? Thx!

Old 01-26-2011, 01:42 AM

81 posts, read 301,313 times
if the animal will not fit under the seat in a small pet carrier then they have to go cargo. I moved here in 2009 and used jetblue from NJ with no issues. it was $100 to bring the dog in the cabin.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,744 times
I wil try and get back to you ASAP to let you know how to travel with dogs and i will tell you the site that i find it on as well.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,744 times
you could try [url=http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Foreigntravel/BeforeYouTravel/DG_4000019]Taking your pets abroad : Directgov - Travel and transport[/url]

Old 01-27-2011, 03:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelaGirl View Post
Sandhillian, Thanks for your reply. Did your dog fly in the cargo area? According to the information I have found, I would have to put my 35 pound australian shepherd in cargo, which at her age I think would be too stressful. Did your pooch fly in the passenger area or in cargo? And on which airline? It sounds like it was a fairly stress-free experience for you all, so I would definitely appreciate more info. Btw, what does DM stand for? Thx!
Can't speak for PR, but I work on transporting animals to the pacific all the time.

The size of the animal and the crate is what seperates incabin from cargo flying. the animal has to fit inside the crate and under the seat. At about 15 Kgs, I doubt it will fit under any seat unless a super heavy puppy.

Each airline also sets capacity controls and rules for flying incabin. They don;t have to accept any animal if they don;t want (except service animals) and restrict type and amounts of each. You need to know the airline your flyings rules. What one carrier allowes may not be what another carrier allowes.

As for weather and breed restrictions, there are US regulations that airlines must follow and that is outside the control of the carrier. Airlines can add additional restrictions related to weather and temperature based on brachycephalic breeds.

Sedatives and relaxers are something you and the dogs vet must discuss in detail as each dog is different and your dogs individual medical history and condition is the main thing when using any sedative or relaxer. What works for my dogs may kill your dog.

I have posted this on the animal forum and Hawaii foreum many times, of all the animals I;ve seen travel over any distance 99% of the time any stress is with the owner and not the animal. Its the owner that gets all flaked out. When we transport animals, most times they are a bit nervious at first but soon fall alseep and are so happy to be away from their owners who are gettingt hem upset by freeking out.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 01-27-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
Default island grl

was there ever any solution to the USVI via boat? the airlines have become rigorous about certain breeds and won't fly my daughters boxer into St.T. ( which is her home)

Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,322 times
You can take a cruise ship to Puerto Rico and disembark. It is not bound by the Jones Act (cabotage laws). Cruiseco.com/resources/cabotage.htm I still am researching a private charter to bring my pets because I hate to fly. If any one ever finds out how much it costs for a charter from Florida to Puerto Rico please post. Very interested in this post because we have a house in Puerto Rico and will eventually move there.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
Default help

how many miles by boat will it take to get to Puerto Rico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories