Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times

Advertisements

USVI Residents,
I visited St. Thomas 13 years ago, stayed for a month. I almost bought a deli at that time. I have regretted not doing it ever since. I love St. Thomas and really just wanted to stay.
My husband and I just recently started discussing moving there. I would greatly appreciate any information possible to help us make a decision. We are both used to Island living. We lived in the Florida Keys. I am not concerned about the island lifestyle, as I know this is what I prefer over rural mainland living. However, cost of living/ income is important. We are both Restaurant professionals, Manager and Chef. I see a ton of opportunities on Craigslist and am excited, but trying to get the scoop on the best area to work live. Also, my 13 year old son will be with me. He is White with curly blonde hair. Will he fair well? I want this to be safe as well as adventurous.We work hard in the business but want to enjoy our days off in paradise. Crime? Local acceptance? My husband is very social.... a good Rum shack with friendly friends will make him happy. Please advise as honestly as possible. Thank you!

Gypsy Cezanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:40 PM

65 posts, read 71,146 times
I don't think I'd bring a 13 year old there unless you can afford to put him in a private school. Its my understanding that the public schools there are not accredited. The people I met while there were great. I was warned by many to watch my back and trust no one though. Crime is supposedly pretty bad. The cost of living is extremely high and wages are low. The island is quite dirty. Beaches are nice when you can go in the water and the weather is awesome. If I was to go back I would try to rent a place at Sapphire and would make sure to ship a vehicle over. I spent a month there and realized I didn't have nearly enough money to make it work.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:07 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,845,461 times
Quote:
He is White with curly blonde hair. Will he fair well? I want this to be safe as well as adventurous.We work hard in the business but want to enjoy our days off in paradise. Crime? Local acceptance? My husband is very social.... a good Rum shack with friendly friends will make him happy. Please advise as honestly as possible. Thank you!
I will be honest with you, but please make your own decision and do not base it entirely off of what I write. I JUST relocated back to the US from St. Thomas.

Race - Okay, this is where I'm going to get the most hatred on this forum for saying this. The white race is not accepted in St. Thomas if you live there. I'm sorry, but if you're white, 80% of the population is going to not like you. I'm not going to get into this and that but all I can tell you is there are places on the island where you definitely do not want to be if you're white.

Crime - Gun fire on a near nightly basis, there are gangs there. Drugs, corruption, and crime is allowed and the police will not enforce any laws. Driving 30 mph over the speed limit, tail gating (and I mean TAIL gating) is common, and you'll know get honked at constantly. I've found they're very impatient and even more so if you're white. Get use to getting called a Mutha Skunt.

Local Acceptance - They do not like outsiders LIVING there. They hate when outsiders live there, but they generally accept tourist (kind of). I've been seeing the acceptance declining of non-locals during my time there and I swear that is going to absolutely destroy the island because they strive off of tourism.

If you want a good time, go to St. John. It will cost you (a lot) more, but the people there are absolutely amazing. I went to St. John when I wanted to get away from all of the BS that St. Thomas has.

I wouldn't even recommend living in St. Thomas to my enemy.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:27 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Definitely make sure you are employed before relocating. Cost of living is higher so just expect things to cost significantly more. You'll be fine as long as you plan properly.

Crime - higher than one may expect. Just be smart like anywhere else. If you live in a bad area, then you worry about gunfire. If you live above the valley in the east, you may hear it. Where I live, I hear the frogs. It's very quiet...serene.

Driving - some are impatient and reckless, but it's fine.

Race - plenty has to do with your attitude Sometimes outsiders - often white - come with condescending attitudes and that will not get you anywhere here. Additionally, people will not cater to you because you are white (and foreign).There are local whites, Frenchies, who have been here for generations. So it has less to do with color and more to do with general respect for the culture you are living in. Your son will be fine. My friend brought her daughter down with her. She was a young teen then and she enjoyed it. She's white...attended Sts. Peter and Paul. Are there some who dislike whites? Sure but it's not that serious. There is a significant white population here.

Local Acceptance - if you're born here, you're local. Even more so if your parents were born here as well. If not, you're not local. I'm an outsider but I respect the culture. Just love the island. Take part in the community. Make it home.

Oh yes, I live in St. Thomas...

Old 11-24-2015, 12:32 PM

409 posts, read 1,044,818 times
The only school I would consider sending my kids to on St. Thomas would be Antilles School especially if I were white and I am not even white. I am a "black" local born and raised (now living in TX).

Crime - High sure but there are areas to live to avoid it and when in all other parts of the island use the same level of awareness you would use when walking in NY City. It really is no different.

Local acceptance - eh ok so this has a lot to do with your attitude and your treatment of locals but I will say there are far far more "whites" living in STT than there were 15 yrs ago. I feel like there are 5x more so this must not be a real problem. But I am black so dont too much take my word on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories