Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 91,555 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Please forgive the naivete of my question...I have no idea whether this exists. My husband, baby and I want to move to Puerto Rico with our 3 small dogs (all under 20 lbs).

Unfortunately, one of our dogs is 17-years-old and not able to travel by plane so I'm wondering whether there exists a passenger boat leaving from the east coast??

Or does anyone know whether cruise boats allow passengers with pets to get off in Puerto Rico, hence a one-way trip??

Thank you so much!

Warmly,
Sue from South Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Sue, if I recall correctly - there is a mound of paperwork if you get off the boat and never get back on. It is seriously discouraged...you'd just have to check with the individual cruise line. Some don't even allow pets unless they are service animals.

I'd look for a cruise that disembarks in PR, and there are some out there I think. Where you would be leaving from is the other problem since you possibly would have to travel by air to get to your departure port. I think the one ways are called repositioning cruises.

If you don't mind me asking, if the dog is small can it fit in a pet carrier and go in-cabin with you? You may have to pay a friend's RT ticket from NJ to PR since I think each animal has to be accompanied by a paying adult (and you have 3 dogs and only 2 of you) but it may be the cheapest way with the least hassle.

Each airline that still allows pets has a special section on their website and special agents who will discuss your travel plans with you. Some are knowledgable, some are not. If you don't get the answers you want, hang up and call back. For in-cabin transports I think you can talk with pretty much anyone, though. I would highly encourage you to get a nonstop if you can. Having flown 7 dogs to the Virgin Islands, it's not as bad as you think.

I think a travel agent is your best bet on narrowing the playing field on the cruises. They would be more in touch with each specific line's requirements and the logistical problems of doing what you are proposing on a cruise ship.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Default Boat to Puerto Rico

Hi Sam I Am,
Thank you so much for your information. The reason I'm thinking a cruise liner rather than via airplane is because it makes me nervous to think about going through the airport, waiting at the gate and then being on the plane for a 4-hour or so flight (not sure how long it is from NJ/Philadelphia to PR) with my dogs. They are not the most well-behaved of animals, I am sorry to report, meaning they can be vocal when they want to be. Not to mention that I think it'd be too much emotionally for my 17-year-old who hasn't been restrained in a small space since puppyhood. So...

I'm going to follow-up with some cruise lines and a travel agency and search online for what you called "repositioning cruises". Even if it costs more money, it seems like, in the end, it'd be much more tolerable for us than the embarrassment caused by the possible ill behavior of my beloved dogs ; )

Again, thank you for your post.

Warmly,
Sue

Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Why don't you sedate the dog? Isn't that standard operating procedure for traveling animals?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
There are definite pros and cons about sedation where traveling animals are concerned and I understand that some airlines have restrictions about sedated animals. There are herbal sedatives which some people swear by. Frankly I don't think the OP is going to have much success looking into the cruise option. Repositioning cruises generally ply between Europe/USA and Alaska/mainland USA but not PR/anywhere.

From New Jersey to PR, even if a cruise ship WERE willing to accommodate a companion animal (not likely) would necessitate a trip to at best New York and, more likely, to Miami.

Matthew's Mommy, why do you say that the 17 year old dog isn't able to travel by plane? As SamIAm notes, small dogs can be transported in the cabin.

Let us know how you make out with all the research! Cheers!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:59 AM

cpg35223, let me get this straight...what you are proposing is that I drug my 17-year-old dog because you believe that's "standard operating procedure" for animals??? Nice.

STT Resident, thank you for your gentler posting. The reason I mentioned that my eldest dog would not be able to tolerate a flight is because she hasn't been in a crate since her puppyhood and knowing her the way I do (I raised her from birth), it would be too traumatic for her to be caged like that. My other two, even though they haven't been in crates for years either, would be fine in a crate/carrier.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:39 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,334,970 times
I've ovten wondered how expensive and long it would be to boat from Miami to San Juan, in a personal yacht/or sea worth boat. I know the trip from miami to cuba isn't that bad by boat.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 27,865 times
Dear Matthew's Mommy,

Did you ever find a way to get your dogs to PR with you? I am researching the same thing now(Januray 2011), and would love to know what solution you came up with. Thanks!

Best regards,
KelaGirl

Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 AM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Hard to say, she hasn't posted on this forum since 2008.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:41 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,739 times
KelaGirl, can your dog go on a plane or do you mean you are researching the option of using a boat? We brought our dog with us when we moved here. He flew (without sedation) and there were very few requirements. Feel free to DM me with questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories