U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,123 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I need some help. I am currently a college student at Clemson University in South Carolina. I am looking at doing an internship in the Virgin Islands for the summer with a construction company. My school requires us to do two summers of internship but they don’t help us out when trying to find a company. I am interested in interning in STT or STX, just because the population is a little higher making business a little bit better.

What I need help doing is finding a construction company (commercial or residential). I have searched on the web and am having trouble finding one. The only one I could find was Roy’s Construction, which seems pretty legit but they might not be hiring for an internship.

If we could get a list going of construction companies in the area, I would appreciate it greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 PM

345 posts, read 1,155,543 times
I have worked for a few VI constructions companies and with a few more. You will either blow youre brains out or become an alcoholic. I grew up in STT/STJ

good luck

construction in the islands is a mockery of anythign you have been taught or ever seen. There is no such thing as "skilled labor" and hardly any "skill" on a construction site down there. Every construction company i have been apart of has gone under. These were large companies mind you.

I do land surveying work and my dad worked for half the territory at one point.

There is nothing that can prepare you for that type of work. What position are you looking for?

I can elaborate more, just keep askign me questions. I got off the rock and foudn work in alaska where i am now...

one thing is that everyone who works is drunk on the construction site. I have found empty beer bottles in track hoes but we usually let the smoking pot on the track hoes slide (im being serious). And you will think you can fire them and find some one better, or at least some one thats not a drunk, but the replacement will be a drunk too.

I saw 2 rasta guys hold the project manager and another manager hostage at the office with a 4' level and a10 pound sledge until they paid them. The police showed up and made them cut a check and let them go. But i had lots of good times too...

once you fall in the groove you wont care what goes on anymore

but its a fun place with lots of great oppritunities, just watch what ally you go down at night, or in the day for that matter

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-20-2008 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: same topic, different post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories