U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 83,963 times

Advertisements

Well I made a decision in April that I want to move to Guam. I want to accomplish this by summer 2009. I have no idea how to even get started as I have never moved before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 04:06 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,647,806 times
Have you even been there before? Do you have a job? Do you know the housing situation? Do you have (a ton of) money saved? What personal items do you need or want to take with you?

If you've never moved before, I'll guess that you are young....you probably need to do a lot of research and planning before asking about the actual move, although we may can throw some ideas out there if you have the basics down and give us a clue on what you plan to do and accomplish there.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 AM

Never been there before, don't have a job currently, don't know the housing situation, but probably plan on getting an apartment there. I don't have a ton of money saved either, I want to save 10k before the move that is why I wanted to make the move next summer, hopefully I can find a job by then and get some money saved up. Basically just want to take my clothes, and a few other little things, nothing big, want to keep the moving expenses low.

Well i'm 27, so i'm not that young. Well i've researched places where I'd like to move and ya Guam went to the top of that list. I just feel it's time that I start my own life and get out on my own, If I move there I'd plan on living there my whole life also. So ya i'm not exactly sure what to plan, I suppose I should find a place to stay in advance, but I don't know about a job and what not. Over here in Michigan I can't even find a job, I had some calls but since I have no experience it's not going all that well.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:34 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,621,316 times
SamIAm asked relevant questions and you've come up with the answers which lead us to the next step. You say that you would plan on living your whole life there but this is something you just can't determine. Island living is VERY different from mainland living, even when that island is under the US flag.

I would say the same to you as I say to anyone wanting to relocate to the USVI and that is to first make a pre-move visit. Stay in a simple place (NOT a resort) for a couple of weeks, find your way around the island, go to places that locals go to, check out the job situation and basically absorb what life there is really all about. That means going to the grocery stores, the banks, the Post Office, trying to live from a local perspective rather than that of a vacationer. Nirvana it's not and I've no doubt that the attrition rate of island-struck newbies on Guam is not too far removed from those who come to the VI - VERY VERY high!

No doubt in Guam, as in the VI, there's little hope of your getting a job unless you're actually there as potential employers don't even consider potential newcomers. And you certainly don't want to take any sort of accommodation sight unseen.

I understand from where you're coming but I'd invest some money into that all-important PMV before chucking everything to move to a place that you've never even visited. At 27 you surely have some experience in SOME line of work but is that experience going to be transferrable to the workforce in Guam?

I don't know how much research you've done but I'm simply suggesting that you tread carefully before making such a big move. If you have personal baggage, it's not going to miraculously disappear by moving to a self-perceived island paradise - it only becomes accentuated.

I'm not trying to dim your lights but trust me that in 25 years of living in a US territory I've seen young daydreamers and escapists along with many older professionals come and go like the wind.

Good luck to you and cheers!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:55 PM

Well I guess the question would be, how much would a PMV cost? staying in a hotel for a few weeks seems pretty expensive even if it's a cheap one.

One of the reasons I had my goal to save up to 10k was for such things as not finding a job right away, I would still like to pay bills and what not. I've had experience in some jobs but not in the field which I received my degree.

What kind of research should someone do before making a move like this? I mean mostly my research was about what Guam was all about more or less.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,647,806 times
Trust me...TRUST ME...the PMV is money well spent. Many people find out right out of the gate that island living is not for them, and Guam is literally and figuratively a world away from the U.S. mainland.

If I were you, I would see if I could find someone who has lived there - military or otherwise - or a forum dedicated to living in Guam. Find out if there are individuals who have short term rentals in their homes like the Virgin Islands does. It will be cheaper and put you in a real neighborhood with "real" people. You'll learn more than you ever thought possible...but you can't have a tourist hat on when you go. Be real, try to get a job...I promise you that $10K will run out faster than you ever thought possible. The cost of living on an island is astronomical. Another scenario - I would try to find a U.S. employer who has interests in Guam and go there with a job under your belt. Put everything you own in storage because, believe it or not, you will probably be back. If you're in love with the island and it is your forever home after a year or two, tthen have someone sell your stuff....but if you come back, you will KICK YOURSELF for selling everything you owned on a plan you thought would work but went the other direction.

Do the PMV and see if this is something you still think you want to pursue, then (unless everything falls into place magically), come back to the states and pursue your dream, kick over every rock, and make it happen - and save money, but by then you will know for sure you need a lot of it. The transition time is the hardest and when you will spend the most because in some fashion you will try to recreate what you had stateside. Promise you. Been there, done that.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:59 AM

2,956 posts, read 4,340,120 times
I lived in Guam for a couple of years, first of all it isn't cheap this was in 88-90, you can figure that prices are higher now. Finding a job in Guam after arriving will put you at a huge hardship, you have to remember that the majority of Guams resources are imported, there is limited manufacturing on Guam. the majority of the work is with the government of Guam and military, there is a US Naval facility and Anderson AFB., most of the government jobs are filled by locals FIRST, when I say locals I mean native. The cost of housing, even apartments are expensive, figure starting at 800.00 a month and up, to rent a house, figure 1500+ a month.
I don't want to paint a gloomy picture of Guam, I loved it there. Guam is only 30 miles long and 4 miles wide, so there isn't a whole lot of area, but the scuba diving is great, outdoor activities go on all the time, so you shouldn't get to bored it you know where to look.

I agree with the idea of a visit before the move, there is nothing worse than having you illusion shattered and then being stuck on an island you really don't like.

Good luck

Old 06-29-2009, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 26,605 times
Default We lived there 2003-2005

My family was stationed in Guam from 2003 to 2005.
We loved the island (after the first 6 or 8 months) and want to go back for a few years.

I couldn't agree more with previous posts. A PMV is highly recommended...
We lived in base housing and I was active duty Navy. My wife had a government job.

There is a tremendous culture shock. Island living is EXPENSIVE. You'll learn that there are often two prices for things. There's a price for locals and a price for tourists. You have to ask for the local price the first few times.

Many people get island fever after a while. There is only one way off the island. Continental Airlines is the only US airline that services the island.

Apartment rent is high. A decent place will be aproximately (if memory serves) $1500 or more per month. You'll need a car or scooter. Add another $3-4,000 for a boonie car (beater) or much more for a good used car. You don't even want to think about new prices. ALL cars are imported to guam.

You will probably want to get rid of most of your clothes. Island casual is OK most of the time. Island casual is shorts, an aloha shirt or tee shirt, "zories" (flip flops) and sun glasses.

Do you like SPAM? It's on the menu at McDonalds. (Seriously).

There is an enormous amount of history to be appreciated on Guam. The Chamoros suffered a great deal at the hands of the Japanese during WWII, and now the Guamanian tourist industry caters to Japanese tourists. The Japanese bring LOTS of money to spend...

Once you get used to the liftstyle, you'll either love it, or hate it. I don't think you can compare living on Guam to anything else and don't really think it's possible to prepare for everything. The heat is oppressive and the humidity is killer (literally).

Take a visit during the rainy season. The temperature is about the same all year. The only real difference is the rain. Get accustomed to getting rained on.

It's not for everyone. Guam is beautiful and Guam is rugged and remote.
Go there with realistic expectations and enjoy yourself. Meet some locals. If you see a party (fiesta) going on, stop in and enjoy some great food and good company. ALWAYS bring something. Everyone is welcome (at a traditional fiesta).

Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 AM

4 posts, read 31,989 times
I almost went to Guam to work and live temporarily (about five years ago). I heard mixed advice and facts about the isle itself and the natives, some good some minus but from one ex Navy officer all good, that the islanders are very friendly and to mainland Americans. I never did go, for a few reasons. Number one if something happened I would be miles upon miles away from my own "turf" so to speak. Two, because I hadn't a US passport yet and I'd heard of some folks being literally stuck in say, Australia or the Orient, because without this they had no sanctioned entry...and still no way back to the US. And third because a friend of mine had been there and was violently assaulted. This of course can and does happen anywhere. Its just that my safety and common sense, especially in these times these days has grown very valuable to me. Its a nice island 'tho with awesome beaches and I wish I'd have the nerve to go. I probably would have if I knew someone over there in on the Base, or had family or some kind of cushion of connection.

And yes, SPAM is a Guam staple...much more so than beautiful Puerto Rico. Embrace all the advice you discover about Guam, but don't ace out other islands on the planet.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 AM

622 posts, read 883,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtoguam View Post
Never been there before, don't have a job currently, don't know the housing situation, but probably plan on getting an apartment there . . .

Well i've researched places where I'd like to move and ya Guam went to the top of that list. I just feel it's time that I start my own life and get out on my own, If I move there I'd plan on living there my whole life also.
Dude! You need to save up a few bucks and go VISIT for a while. I was stationed in Guam from 1991-1995 and went back for a visit in 2002. I absolutely LOVED it when I was stationed there. But, like every place else, things change (ex: my visit in 2002). I would, however, love to go back and live there again for a period of time. Like someone posted, people either love Guam or they hate it - there really isn't much in between.

My family relocated from one state to another, but we visited the new place several times before actually moving. And moving to Guam from the states is not like moving from CA to AZ - it's FAR away!!! Seriously, go visit for awhile before making the determination.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories