Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,994 times

Advertisements

Hello I was recently visiting in St Croix and came across this dog during my morning walk. She is as many a stray. She lives at the beach at Beauregard Bay, east of Gallows Bay, at the very end of the east park road. The entrance of the park is east of the marina off of Fort Rd.
(see map)

I suspect she was abandoned since there are no other dogs in the area. I think she is about 1 year old, medium size about 20 lbs. Besides food all she wanted was to be pet and played with. She would happily lay next to me as I did some morning stretches over looking the water.

She meet me with a leaf from a sea grape plant in her mouth as her toy. I spent 4 mornings with her and if I could have brought her home I would have.

I you have space or know someone on the island who could give her a nice home please contact me with a direct message.(devine174@optonline.net)

I do not believe the island has a rescue shelter that will keep the dog until adopted, so please don't turn her in, I think they would put her down if not adopted.

If you do adopt her please let me know, 1 - I really like her, 2 - the next time back to the island I would like to visit her.

Thank you,
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
STX - Help find a home for a lonely and gentle dog-st-croix-131.jpg   STX - Help find a home for a lonely and gentle dog-st-croix-136.jpg   STX - Help find a home for a lonely and gentle dog-st-croix-172.jpg   STX - Help find a home for a lonely and gentle dog-st-croix-173.jpg   STX - Help find a home for a lonely and gentle dog-st-croix-182.jpg  

STX - Help find a home for a lonely and gentle dog-st-croix-183.jpg   STX - Help find a home for a lonely and gentle dog-st-croix-187.jpg   STX - Help find a home for a lonely and gentle dog-beauregard-bay-beach.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM

59 posts, read 276,867 times
Very sad situation. I hope she gets a home.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
She looks like a coconut retriever. Post this on www.traveltalkonline.com; (broken link) many people on that site adopt dogs from the islands.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
St Croix has a very active animal shelter and in fact has a program where local dogs are sent to stateside shelters for adoption. I would get in touch with them at 340-778-1650 and ask for their assistance/suggestions. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
If she's really adoptable and catches someone's eye they will hold her back for adoption...but having worked there, there are so many dogs that it tends to be the "special" ones that DO manage to catch someone's eye that get to stay longer than their anticipated time. Dean was the head of the shelter when I was there, and there's a man named Moises who has been there forever and is wonderful with the dogs.

If you think this is her full size, she MIGHT make the transport into the states...but mostly it was really small dogs 10-15 lbs. and under that were going out.

I am sending you a DM regarding some options for you to think about.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:16 AM

91 posts, read 372,471 times
Pets from Paradise is the name of the pet adoption center on ST Croix....this is all too common and I just can't understand why...Lately in Christiansted just heading out of town the problem is very bad.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
It's not that hard to understand, it's just hard to accept for people who haven't lived there - many of the Crucians see dogs as "things", not as something you get terribly attached to. Vet services are ridiculous in price so a lot of folks don't have their pet spayed or neutered. There are whole packs of wild dogs on the island - you've been out west, it is just awful.

It is one of the things about the island that bothered me terribly...for a place with only X land space no one seems to be really concerned about this situation. But I think it is part of the different culture and you learn to roll with it...definitely can't change the world on that one, although the STX animal shelter does what they can. They have difficult jobs and I admire their education program in the schools - still, it's almost too little, too late.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:38 AM

Just trying to get the post to the front again

Old 02-09-2008, 01:04 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,985 times
o wow. shes a doll. too bad i live in new mexico. : (

Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 AM

Terry,
Your location isn't really a problem. There is an organization called pets from paradise so if you are able to adopt her we could make it happen.

So feel free to let me know..

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories