U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM

177 posts, read 883,503 times

Advertisements

Anyone has used or can suggest a good and affordable company to ship my household goods from East Coast (New England area) to PR? What questions should I be asking them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 05:23 AM

10 posts, read 63,863 times
Though not a "moving" company, we used Crowley ( Crowley Maritime Corporation ) to ship our stuff when we moved here from NJ.

They provide the container and you load it yourself (I believe ours was something like 54-feet), or I guess you could pay a moving company to load your stuff into it. We also used them to ship one of our cars to PR at the same time.

We chose them because their port in NJ was only about 30-45 minutes from our home.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:19 AM

Yup, I contacted them. But I don't have enough things to fill a 54 footer. Thanks for the reply. I also contacted few others that charge by cubic foot.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,658,627 times
What kind of household goods are you shipping? Furniture or just pots and pans and clothes? If it's the latter, you're just as well off to box it up and send it USPS, but a word of caution - insure, make sure you have to sign for the box, etc. If you don't, a lot of stuff ends up going missing. Seems like everything we sent without a special notification fell by the wayside, but if it was insured and required a signature it made it.

Just another piece of advice - inventory every box very carefully and keep a master manifest. If you ship through Crowley or another managed freight place they will usually require it, but name items specifically. Should something happen and you have "food processor" down, you'll get paid for a bottom of the line food processor, when indeed you may have lost a Cuisinart. And pad the fool out of everything - those boxes get tossed around like rubber balls during shipping.

Did you ask Crowley about LTC (less than container) loads? Sometimes they can consolidate your freight with someone else who has less than a full container. I don't know how that works exactly, but you might check it.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM

68 posts, read 211,434 times
La Rosa Del Monte. You can even ship your car with them.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 PM

Thanks. The suggestion about careful inventory is a good one and I'll keep it in mind. I have mostly pots, pens, clothing, books, and lots of toys. The mostly part rules out the USPS, I have few pieces of furniture that I would like to take with me.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:27 AM

10 posts, read 63,863 times
Crowley has smaller containers than what we used. We needed that size due to the amount of stuff we brought.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,658,627 times
Inneed -

After moving to the Virgin Islands, let me share with you - you need half of what you think you do, and the cost of shipping is not cheap - it may make more sense to sell off your earthly possessions and replace when you get there. Sometimes clinging to what we know causes more headaches than it is worth (been there...done that).

Books will get cruddy and moldy and fragile due to sea air...and any furniture you have is most likely not made for island living.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have put 90% of what we owned into a storage shed and just lived on the island....after a year I'd have gone through my list and decided what was actually transferable and usable on island, and the rest would have gotten sold or given to whoever. The furniture and items o'loveliness that we took with us that we just couldn't live without ended up taking a terrible beating from the sea air and all we had to show for it was a gigantic pain in the butt.

There's another reason I'd do it that way - unless you are 100% sure this is a permanent move, you get to do it again if you return stateside. You're talking a lot of money and double the headaches. We thought it was a forever move and were relatively quickly proven wrong. Hindsight is 20/20 and I would NEVER recommend anyone move like we did. It's a whole lot cheaper to put it in storage than to move it twice, and once you take your rose-colored glasses off and accept the reality of island living, you may find you don't want, don't need, or can't use your stateside stuff anyway.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 AM

I mainly have bad mattresses that I wanted to take with me. Good call on books, I guess these can fly with me on some of my trips back and forth. Thanks for the advise, this is putting things into perspective.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 AM

41 posts, read 186,937 times
Hi, try LA ROSA DEL MONTE EXPRESS, MONTI OR MAGIC they are one of the best companys and they can quote for free. I dont know if the three go out there but at least two of them do. good luck Gato!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories