U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 PM

345 posts, read 1,155,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The cellphone industry is very big here, On the other hand it's not always as reliable as one might hope. The terrain has much to do with it, particularly on the more mountainous St Thomas and St John but also to do with the number of towers. More towers are being built all the time so things ARE improving but we had a 34 hour power outage last week on STT/STJ and it was almost impossible to reach anyone on a cellphone for several hours as the system was overloaded.

Internet access is better than it was a year ago and improves all the time. I was finally able to get off dial-up this year when Choice installed a receiver in my hitherto "dead" area and that's been a real treat.

Yes, it IS against the law to drive while using a hand-held cell but this ruling merely followed the practice in most stateside jurisdictions. I welcomed the ruling as there is nothing more disconcerting than driving behind someone driving totally erratically on our winding steep roads and thinking either a total nut or a drunk is in front of you when it's "just" someone using a hand-held. The ear pieces are more common now.

I didn't understand fairbank's "tented windows" remark until I realized it was supposed to be "tinted!" Heavily tinted auto windows are illegal for obvious reasons. When police are approaching a vehicle and can't see who or what is inside then obviously that's a problem.

Cheers!

lol "tented" I guess i must be living in Alaska too long. For awhile you couldn't tint your drivers side window. Every body has their favorite cell phone spots. Whenever i moved into a house i would just walk around trying to find the best reception. Then that area became my office, even if it was the end of the driveway.

I once saw a School Bus driver, driving through Tutu with a bus load of kids while on a cell phone.

(what bars do you freqent STT? I may know you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:28 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,634,723 times
fairbanks: I don't frequent bars. Own and operate a bar/restaurant and have done for 12 years now. Before that I had a "real life" for 12-13 years on STT. Cheers!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
fairbanks: I don't frequent bars. Own and operate a bar/restaurant and have done for 12 years now. Before that I had a "real life" for 12-13 years on STT. Cheers!
was just curious... everyone on stt has at least one bar "where everybody knows your name"

do you operate a bar on STT or back in the states?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
was just curious... everyone on stt has at least one bar "where everybody knows your name"

do you operate a bar on STT or back in the states?
You'll see from my location that I'm on STT. My restaurant/bar is on the mainland and I commute daily. Gets pretty tiresome. Cheers!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:16 AM

6,780 posts, read 7,492,239 times
Quote:
You'll see from my location that I'm on STT. My restaurant/bar is on the mainland and I commute daily. Gets pretty tiresome. Cheers!
What?! wait...how does that work? Does mainland mean the continental US?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
What?! wait...how does that work? Does mainland mean the continental US?

sarcasm? I bet he lives behind constatine wire, i have him pegged now

Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbanks101 View Post
sarcasm? I bet he lives behind constatine wire, i have him pegged now
What's "constatine wire?"

Old 12-04-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
What's "constatine wire?"
dont mind me, i'm just a product of the virgin islands educational system

Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 AM

6,780 posts, read 7,492,239 times
sarcasm...i detected a hint of it but wasn't sure since I don't know anything about the VI. Thought maybe there were cheap daily flights I was missing out on...

Now I'm even more confused with the constantine wire reference?!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
sarcasm...i detected a hint of it but wasn't sure since I don't know anything about the VI. Thought maybe there were cheap daily flights I was missing out on...

Now I'm even more confused with the constantine wire reference?!
No sarcasm - simply humour. Yes of course my business is on St Thomas. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories