U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 26,932 times

Advertisements

so if STT is sugar coating things then give us the real deal, Fairbanks101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,666,082 times
I've never "sugar-coated" anything concerning living in and working in the Virgin Islands where I've been doing just that for 25 years and a reading of my posts only bears this out. I'm the first to give cautionary advice to anyone thinking of moving here and am always quick to point out that it's not an easy move to make.

Unfortunately Fairbanks seems very happy to depict as the truth the negatives he encountered during his rather short-lived experiences here and bolsters them with skewed statistics and an abundance of hearsay which does nobody any good and paints such a depressing picture that would deter anyone from even continuing to live here let alone move here in the first place.

Despite several of my posts clearly indicating that I'm a female he still persists in thinking I'm a male and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe those winters in Alaska tend to disrupt comprehension along with objectivity. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone! Cheers!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 AM

Either way, STT thank you for your honesty. Maybe fairbanks you were ill equipped during your big move and relocation. however that still does not mean you should post over processed horror stories.ppl are going to move either way, they will just be armed with more info. exactly how long did you live there anyway and why are you so bitter?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:28 PM

49 posts, read 124,323 times
I live in STX and I work for the school system. I have been 4 years. I have not read all of your replies so I can't comment on them, but I would like to share that it has grown on me to the point that I have become very comfortable. People always say that you will either love it or hate it. I have love it becuase I made it work for me. When I first arrive I felt very much out of place, but after I started working, making friends, finding church that suited my needs, and taking advantage of all St. Croix has to offer (it does have a lot to offer) I adjusted,relaxed, and just got with the program

Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 AM

737 posts, read 2,314,542 times
Did Guzjon66 make the move? We still have property in FL due to the downturn in the real estate market. We envisioned spending winter in STX and summer in FL (yes, it does get cold in FL). What were we thinking? We have been on STX for 2 years and have been stateside twice for less than a week.

There are 3 golf courses on STX and there is an open scramble at the Reef every Wed. morning which is a great place to meet other people with varied backgrounds but same interest.

We go to STT for medical care since our insurance has docs there.

My biggest frustration is not being able to order online from many of the sites I used stateside (sites often ship to Guam or PR but can't seem to understand the VI is a US territory). That being said, it would seem to me that coming from FL, as we did, is quite a bit different that hailing from MN. Hopefully your blood will thin quickly because air conditioning is not cheap.

We bought a used vehicle here and then had our FL vehicle shipped. If I had to make that decision now, I would have shipped both of our FL vehicles since the used car price was greatly inflated. If you get ATT cell service, you can add $3/mo. for roadside assistance. I've used it and it was a good experience (no AAA here).

As far as being safe:1. use common sense 2. if it sounds to good to be true..... - and 3. my favorite, "nothing good happens after midnight"

Old 02-22-2009, 08:09 AM

Hey, I am not sure if this is the proper blog for this question but I have been looking around for information about the job market in the USVI and have been unable to find out anything. I just want to now how the job market in the medical field(LPN and RN) is doing at this point. I know up here in New York it isn't that bad(some hiring freezes,pay cuts) but I just want to keep an eye on things until I make the big move.If someone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 AM

We're certainly starting to see the results of the downswing in the economy and, because such effects generally trickle down here slowly, the worst is yet to come! So, yes, we are seeing the same problems here as in the rest of the world. Hard to foretell what changes will come about in the medical arena. Have you considered doing a stint here as a traveling nurse? The deals are quite sweet in comparison to that which locally-hired nurses have (yes, it does sometimes cause some resentment) but a three month or six month contract would certainly give you a taste of island living in general plus of course an inside look at our medical care system. Cheers!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,981 times
Anyone considering moving here or STX just use your head and get multiple sources of information. One thing I've noted is STTResident seems to be wearting rose coloured glasses, or just glossing over the real underbelly. Government corruption, top to bottom, is rampant. Rules are twisted to benefit the few, the "native." (See VI Constitution drafts). That said, if you can handle it, it isn't a bad place to live for the most part. You will, however, always be a second class citizen. Just use caution. Highest per capita murder rate under the U.S. flag. I've seen two bodies in the road while driving through Smith Bay over the past year. Not a cop in sight. An architect acquaintance was gunned down in front of dozens of tourists at the access drive to Sapphire. Life is not held in very high regard by many, many of the occupants of these islands.

But please, take what I say with a grain of salt and do the same with STTResident. You may have to find out for yourself, but be very careful.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the comments, Manieac! Gee, I've lived in Smith Bay for 13 years and drive the main route at least once a day. Guess I must have missed those bodies just laying in the road ...

Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,981 times
Good luck! None of my business!

Last edited by Maineac; 02-22-2009 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories