Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 PM

11 posts, read 180,570 times

Advertisements

No sorry I'm still here, been getting all my medical stuff and dentist work done. I really dont know how well the doctors are down there but I know Minnesota rocks for healthcare.

You've really answered most my questions for now, though I will prob have more soon as soon as I heal lol. I've had a cortizone shot, for my pitching arm, I've had a few cavities filled and possibly have to have a crown put on and a bunch of good stuff.

I should find out here before the 14th if I am good to go so I will write back very soon!

Thanks for ALL OF YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You rock hands down and hopefully I can buy you a drink if and when I do move down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,500,314 times
Thanks for getting back. To buy me a drink, though, you'd have to come over to STT! Good luck to you. Cheers!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:05 AM

11 posts, read 180,570 times
Looks like I'm going to have the chance to buy you a drink its a extremly good chance of me moving down there! I have been speaking to employees down there and it seems more and more of a place I will enjoy. Everyone is sounding like a broken record and you have said it too, about that "disconnected" feeling, I really do appreciate how everyone is warning me of that and I do have the feeling that I will feel that especially right away coming from the main land but its a good trade.

I do have a couple more questions if you do have the time, as I look out into our parking lot here at my work with the snow falling and the temp well below freezing.

I am a xbox player and I think its going to be a great way to keep connected to my friends and family here, with how the internet is down there (wireless is what I've read) is it fast enough to hold something like that? Or do you deal with a lot of slow speeds and connection drops?

Also what is like the "style" people have down there when it comes to clothing? I'd prefer to try to mesh as much as possible its bad enough I have the "Fargo" accent and I have Casper white skin, so if I can atleast dress the part that would be helpful.

Is there alot of recreation sports down there? I'm a big fan of playing baseball and I'd still love to play so hopefully I can find a team or atleast a few guys and a ball park.

Is golf also very popular? I do see that there is a course on stx and I think that would be a great way to meet people and do something I like doing.

Also after talking to an employee down there I guess that it's a "very demanding" market. With people buying all the newest greatest phones monthly I was wondering how that is with the economy the way it is?

Well I need to head back to work so I don't get fired before I get the chance to move so if you could help answer those questions that would be, like always, VERY much appreciated!!!!!!!

See Ya Soon!

Jon

Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 PM

286 posts, read 1,080,154 times
Smile enjoy your visit to the Maximum Island(s)

Enjoy your visit and don't expect to blend in
Here is the lowdown that you wont find in the tourist mags.

//www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...ml#post5174545

//www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...ml#post5174621

//www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...ml#post5174845

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM

Jon - I am very technologically challenged so can't tell you anything about the xbox - but there are several options for internet access - dial-up, DSL, broadband, etc. Clothing is diverse, comfortably casual. Bankers, attorneys, etc. wear conventional suits. Dining out is casual for the most part with polo shirts and dress shorts perfectly OK for the guys. Yes, there are opportunities for recreational sports and there are several local baseball teams. I believe there are two golf courses on STX (on STT just one and I understand it's very challenging!)

Cheers and good luck with all your planning!

Old 11-26-2008, 02:00 AM

345 posts, read 1,273,189 times
The internet is horrible. On st. thomas and st. john i'm sure its just as bad if not worse on stx. I myself was a big computer enthusiast, really into online pc gaming, until i came to the rock. There was not a single game i could play on the best dsl stt had. The games i used to play on dialup in the states i couldnt play on dsl in the virgin islands. That doesnt mean checking your email is any slower, that worked fine. But i had terrible issues with packloss and latency. Things should have slightly improved in the year i have been off island but not enough to play xbox live. I know what a devistating blow it can be to find out you cant play WoW or even your oldschool first person shooters.

Its worth a shot to try it out but i wouldnt buy a rig and get set up with lots of online gaming accounts before you get there. The wireless internet (choice internet) only works in places not affected by the mountains. I dont think Innovative does cable internet (dsl only). I found the phone lines havent been updated for the loads dsl puts on them. Same goes with the cable lines. I had digital cable but could only get the basic channels because the cable lines couldnt handle the newer type of cable tv. That didn't stop them from selling it and charging me for it.

STT resident. Dont get me wrong, i know you see lots of my posts going off about the VI but i love those little rocks as we all do.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,561,419 times
It seems like the cell phone industry would be a biggie there. When I visited the VI in January, it seemed like everyone and their grandma had a cell phone.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 AM

345 posts, read 1,273,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
It seems like the cell phone industry would be a biggie there. When I visited the VI in January, it seemed like everyone and their grandma had a cell phone.

Best of luck to you!
youre right about that. then they had to make it illegal to talk and drive. I dont know if thats still enforced, maybe who ever they chose to force it on. Like with having tented windows several years ago.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

Best of luck to you!
The cellphone industry is very big here, On the other hand it's not always as reliable as one might hope. The terrain has much to do with it, particularly on the more mountainous St Thomas and St John but also to do with the number of towers. More towers are being built all the time so things ARE improving but we had a 34 hour power outage last week on STT/STJ and it was almost impossible to reach anyone on a cellphone for several hours as the system was overloaded.

Internet access is better than it was a year ago and improves all the time. I was finally able to get off dial-up this year when Choice installed a receiver in my hitherto "dead" area and that's been a real treat.

Yes, it IS against the law to drive while using a hand-held cell but this ruling merely followed the practice in most stateside jurisdictions. I welcomed the ruling as there is nothing more disconcerting than driving behind someone driving totally erratically on our winding steep roads and thinking either a total nut or a drunk is in front of you when it's "just" someone using a hand-held. The ear pieces are more common now.

I didn't understand fairbank's "tented windows" remark until I realized it was supposed to be "tinted!" Heavily tinted auto windows are illegal for obvious reasons. When police are approaching a vehicle and can't see who or what is inside then obviously that's a problem.

Cheers!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,561,419 times
I would think it being a very good thing that they outlawed talking and driving. They did that in Montenegro (Europe). There are a lot of mountainous roads, and I believe that is the main reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories