U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 PM

9 posts, read 8,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Why doesn't Alaska go back to being a Russian colony?
Well, Alaska is a state. PR can't decide what it wants to be, so the US just needs to make a decision for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 06:42 AM

7,732 posts, read 8,771,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzipan6 View Post
Well, Alaska is a state. PR can't decide what it wants to be, so the US just needs to make a decision for it.
That's because we offer too many choices.

We should only offer 2 choices: statehood or full independence.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Another add-on: 95% of Puerto Ricans desire "a permanent union with the United States" and 87% rate United States citizenship as being "extremely important" to them.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 AM

9 posts, read 8,502 times
Quote:
Another add-on: 95% of Puerto Ricans desire "a permanent union with the United States" and 87% rate United States citizenship as being "extremely important" to them.
Sounds like a major identity crisis. From what I see they want to live off the dole as part of the US, while at the same being an independent nation. But to me, if you choose to live off the dole, then you need to just accept being treated as children by the ones giving you the money. You can't blame everything on The Man and accept welfare from The Man at the same time.

I think the US should just give them $1 billion and then cut them loose. Then if they want to move to the US they can get a green card like everyone else.

Last edited by marzipan6; 05-19-2012 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 09:56 AM

35 posts, read 166,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzipan6 View Post
Sounds like a major identity crisis. From what I see they want to live off the dole as part of the US, while at the same being an independent nation. But to me, if you choose to live off the dole, then you need to just accept being treated as children by the ones giving you the money. You can't blame everything on The Man and accept welfare from The Man at the same time.

I think the US should just give them $1 billion and then cut them loose. Then if they want to move to the US they can get a green card like everyone else.
I agree.. thats tru... PR needs to stop leeching off America and walk on our own two feet like the rest of the world

Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM

21 posts, read 41,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanGuy View Post
I agree.. thats tru... PR needs to stop leeching off America and walk on our own two feet like the rest of the world
Very cleaver. Ok we will be moving to a town near you. You would not mind that would you?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 PM

43 posts, read 87,250 times
As I stated many times during these posts, I am advocate for independence of PR. However, I know how to differentiate the facts from the myths of PR, now to play advocate for statehood as someone mentioned before that I don’t believe that PR would lose its culture entirely if they become a state it’s a myth that culture will be lost. Hawaii, Arizona, and New Mexico just to name a few states still have remnants of its previous cultures whether native Indian, Mexican, or Polynesian and still practice some of the rituals those cultures have. Of course there is one particular pattern that it is obvious before these territories became states and that is the shift of citizens that lived in those places. For example by the time Hawaii became a state more than half of the populations were “white Americans”. The whites outnumbered the natives and it eased the process to become a state same goes for Arizona, New Mexico, even Texas who were own republic before joining the union its citizens included tejanos, native Indians, and whites who fought to get independence from Mexico by the time It became a state the majority was white American. In the case of Hawaii when it was consider a monarch the queen was over thrown in the early 1890s the majority of populations were natives, in fact during the time many American politicians were against the overthrow of the queen. In 1959 then it became a state the majority of Hawaii were white Americans who outnumbered natives 3 to 1. I just believe that the PR culture will diminish a bit, but not destroyed. I also believe that one reason statehood has not been given to PR is because it still emphasizes Spanish language as its main language and of course the culture is Latino, not once was a territory enter the union with the majority of citizens been natives. I believe that the cleansing of cultures was a plan as part of American expansion; one must applaud PR for not allowing its culture to disappear.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post
not once was a territory enter the union with the majority of citizens been natives.
California's population was made up almost entirely of Californios (settlers of Mexican descent - obviously they spoke Spanish) in 1847. White Americans (ex. John Fremont) were a very small number and mostly transient. The original State Constitution was written in Spanish. The Californios kept their culture largely intact until the 1950s/60s - more than 100 years after statehood.

New Mexico was (and still is) also largely Hispanic which was the primary reason why it took until 1912 to become a state ... it had become a US territory in 1847. In fact I believe New Mexico has the highest % of Hispanics of any state in the union.

Oklahoma was largely populated by American Indians before it became a state in 1907, in fact several of the Indian tribes in what was then called Indian Territory started the statehood movement in 1902. Even today 11% of Oklahoman's are American Indians.

Last edited by WIHS2006; 06-07-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Oklahoma

Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 AM

43 posts, read 87,250 times
Quote:
California's population was made up almost entirely of Californios (settlers of Mexican descent - obviously they spoke Spanish) in 1847. White Americans (ex. John Fremont) were a very small number and mostly transient. The original State Constitution was written in Spanish. The Californios kept their culture largely intact until the 1950s/60s - more than 100 years after statehood.

New Mexico was (and still is) also largely Hispanic which was the primary reason why it took until 1912 to become a state ... it had become a US territory in 1847. In fact I believe New Mexico has the highest % of Hispanics of any state in the union.

Oklahoma was largely populated by American Indians before it became a state in 1907, in fact several of the Indian tribes in what was then called Indian Territory started the statehood movement in 1902. Even today 11% of Oklahoman's are American Indians.

Good points. That is one of my main points I am trying to make that if PR becomes statehood it will not lose its culture entirely, but the info you said I usually take that with a grain of salt when it comes to statehood movement you always get someone with ties with the US behind movement those Oklahoma tribes were most of the mixed of all tribes with caucasian, got to keep in mind there is always something behind everything to this day I say that Jim Thorpe born in those Oklahoma tribes if its not because he was mixed(Native and Caucasian) he would not have gotten the same love as he got. Even though same token he went through a lot been that he was also part native indian, but also been caucasian open some doors for him if he was fully native i think it would be different story. So the oklahoma statehood movement must be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM

12,414 posts, read 10,874,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post
Good points. That is one of my main points I am trying to make that if PR becomes statehood it will not lose its culture entirely, but the info you said I usually take that with a grain of salt when it comes to statehood movement you always get someone with ties with the US behind movement those Oklahoma tribes were most of the mixed of all tribes with caucasian, got to keep in mind there is always something behind everything to this day I say that Jim Thorpe born in those Oklahoma tribes if its not because he was mixed(Native and Caucasian) he would not have gotten the same love as he got. Even though same token he went through a lot been that he was also part native indian, but also been caucasian open some doors for him if he was fully native i think it would be different story. So the oklahoma statehood movement must be taken with a grain of salt.

You are incorrect about the population demographics of Hawaii. Whites there make up around 30% of the population at most, maybe even only a quarter. The vast majority is Asian mix. So Hawaii is not a majority white state by any means. I'm not a fan of PR statehood, but just wanted to correct your misconception of the population of Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories