U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM

506 posts, read 906,285 times

Advertisements

Citizenship is a tricky one. Once again , as I said in another post, Puerto Ricans don't control anything in this status debate, not even citizenship. When push comes to shove Congress will move and the outcome might not be what anybody wants. Remember its THEIR INTERESTS, not ours.

Several years ago a right wing GOP Washington Lawyer warned Puerto Ricans that our citizenship was statutory, meaning that it was given to us by an act of congress in 1917. He argued that it can also be erased by an act of Congress. It raised a firestorm in San Juan, luckily the issue died down. I once spoke to a Dominican who argued that his American citizenship was more legit then ours , simply because his was constitutional and ours statuory.

Most Puerto Ricans believe Congress wouldn't dare strip us of American citizenship, but one has to be careful specially as the Tea Party and the right wing conservatives gain power, these people are nuts!

The Supreme Court may have a say on this if it were ever brought to their attention. Given that previous court cases have branded Puerto Rico as belonging to the US but NOT PART of the US, ( Balzac Vs. US 1922), this rabidly conservative court might give us a surprise. Being a non-incororated territory might not help either.

Some here might say, "THAT CAN'T EVER HAPPEN!" But who would have thought in 2000 that we would have a black president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 AM

43 posts, read 87,298 times
I personally think that we PR tend to cling on these treaties, pacts, acts, etc. a little bit too much. I emphasized how much we should prepare for the unexpected (independence) instead of prepare for what most PR are waiting (Statehood and still waiting 100 years+). As much I enjoy the US, I cannot vouch to be a state to enjoy “full citizenship” when in the US not all citizens are treated equal. One of the points that Fortuno used to make a case for statehood is that PR has fought with the US ever since world war 1, and to my response is “and”, as I recall so did Native Americans, African-Americans, etc and becoming citizens didn’t guarantee any success. I sometimes think that in PR tend to have a false sense of entitlement when in reality if the issue was that congress wants PR to become 51st then it would have happened perhaps 20 years ago or so.

One day we might have another Millard Tyding in our hands to have the ear of congress and force independence on PR, many PR tend to feel that if they force ind. Is a violation of whatever treaty if I am not mistaken some historians and lawyers believe that the US is in violation of Treaty of Paris 1898.
Another issue is that in the US the most common candidate to become 51st is Washington DC, bringing a 51st state would also have a ripple effect to other territories US Virgin Islands, Marina Islands, and other areas to also inquire to become a state. I don’t think the US would be so eager to bring to debt in to what it already has.

I hate to be a separatist here but we have to work on what we have, this whole status is a sham played by both US and PR in which at the end who does really gain out of status? If one thing we can credit Luis Munoz Marin is that he dealt with the issue on what is on hands and not making the status issue the main priority it is toxic to the point we tend to forget what it is we need to do to better ourselves.

Last edited by antillanosiempre; 07-19-2012 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Spaces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories