U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2010, 09:37 PM
 
43 posts, read 87,275 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Bro! This is great! I have not confirmed your numbers or stats. But let's assume for one minute that your numbers are accurate. Tell me bro, who is going to cut the sugar cane and pick the coffee?

As we all know, sugar and coffee production are physically demanding endevours. Cutting cane and picking coffee beans in 93 degree heat with 90% humidity is not something the average 20 year old Boricua reguettonero will quickly be willing to do. I could just hear it..."Chacho! Quien yo? Que va!!"

Now let's assume for one minute that your friendly neighborhood reguettonero decided to cut cane and pick coffee at Puerto Rico's minimum wage of $7.25.

Do you think Puerto Rico will be able to compete against other sugar/coffee producing countries who can do it at a fraction of the hourly cost??? Chacho...dejate deso!!!

The cutting and picking would only be done by illegals. Not exactly your fantasized dream of independence utopia.

Hmmmmmm funny you mention that, um Israel, a rich country right. Very few natural resource(maybe sand), they pick their own fruits and do own labor, no need to hire anyone else. They open business thru out the world , they get international income from their international busninesses. You basically telling me that no Puerto Ricans are capable of that? you basically asking me to make an assumption that is not true, I know that not all PR think that way as the way you making sound. You yourself are boricua right, I have a business now you personally claim that you hard worker and that you would bust your butt doing whatever it takes but same token you asking me to judge PR based on few people, and then at the end if i judge them then i would judge you and not give you the job. I mean I am boricua with the upmost, but the one thing I dont do is bash on the whole population yea their is a social issue here but as I put on the other post I am not here to say that we dont do this and that, I came a long ways if you ever come across my postings online. All i do is talk about our rich history.

because if I am boricua I make a good living, I have knowledge of our history, and I know what it is to make a good living, then their must be others like me right?

Is easy to cop out and say that you speak reality and this and that, I mean i hear that from white people on white, blacks on blacks, PR on PR, DR on DR, but why say " I speak reality", and it is what it is, I mean come on that is a cop out that every RACE uses to complaint about their own, why take that route. When you can convince the populace that we are educated, we are capable, we are hard working individuals. Believe me, you would sound far off smarter and most important educated when speaking about the history of PR, instead even you using youself as example that PR cannot do anything, enough is enough with that. People will remember you when you speak of untold history, but when you get online and say the things you said, hey guess what someone is going to use you as example that PR dont know anything and hate each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM
 
43 posts, read 87,275 times
Reputation: 17
Also let me tell you more about Ramon Bentances, I mean this guy was truly gold. Don. Ramon actually gave a speech in Haiti, and the importance of unifying the antilles. In fact this is a true story, when he was in Haiti, Haitans were in battle of DR. During the week of his stay in Haiti, all the battles halted. Of course Haitians were not to fond of DR so thats another issue, but the point that Ramon was very respected man in his time. But, that is not all I mean this Ramon must has some great set of balls, did you know. That he actually went to England, the all mighty Great Britain and confronted the queen to free jamaica, so that they can join the antilles. Of course Great Britain did not come to terms with Bentances, but the point that you going to the queens turf I dont know about you, but that tells you something about what kind of man was he, I dont think daddy yankee and those so call gansters has the guts to even think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,800,399 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post
...In other words, Puerto Ricos educational system is based on a colonial system,
<snip>
As I said before, PR does have good natural resource, and they still have plenty of land to create new agriculture. Puerto Rico, is one of the few places that export Rum,Tobacco, Sugar, copper,PR is the number one exporter of Yuca, Yame, and all those good stuff and something that the US love to posses PR has pockets of oil in and around the island, untouched. Puerto Rico also has one of the richest minerals of seal salt, untouched.
First, is Ñame, not Yame. Second, do you have proof of this? Or is it hearsay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post
Did you know the company Platters(Peanut) wanted to use some of those sea salts for their new sea salt peanuts, and 7 years ago offered PR a cool one billion dollars to use PR sea salt for the next 10 years, but you know what happened why the negotiations halted? Since US were leaving vieques, Americans lobbied for new companies not to make business with PR while the vieques issue got resolved, and because of that Platters took their offer somewhere else. Also Puerto Rico, is one of the biggest exports of rum, and bacardi been number one rum seller world wide, however Puerto Rico was also the home of another RUM giant, and no its not DON Q, but Captain Morgan rum(Diageo), Unfurtinately, due to the political instability in PR and the parasite that is commonwealth, Captain Morgan rum will be moving out of PR by 2012. If PR was independent country, do you know that PR would have made 3 times what it makes in rum and the money would stood in PR. Imagine rum is a multi billion dollar company, the bad thing right now US intervenes in everything that is PR. And the people that make money of rum is not PR, but American shareholders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post

Lets look at examples of countries or islands that have very little resources but yet are thriving. Singapore,Hong Kong, Tawain, Israel even if you take a look closer at United Arab Emirates, is a country that within 20 years will run out of oil(Main resource), yet with the funds they were and still making the country built tourist attractions. PR, receives funds from US every year, I know that corruption in PR is rampant and pocket some of those funds, but if we fight corruption. With those funds you can build places that can lure more tourism, you can built a hub just as singapore,
United Arab Emirates? They're going broke. Read this -> Dubai's Last Hurrah - Newsweek.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post
in fact Panama has offered PR to use the canal at no cost for the first 10 years if they become independent. Puerto Rico is also in top 5 in the world in coconut distribution, did you know that within this year the European union will pass a bill to use coconut oil as an alternative to fuel, now imagine if PR was independent they can actually sell coconut oil and make billions of dollars just on that.
So the new car fuel standard will be "miles per coconut"? I knew that the PNP was up to something when they made the coconut palm tree their symbol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post
Americans moves to Canada for better health care.
Actually, Americans go to Canada to get cheap prescription drugs. Canadians come the the US for better health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,800,399 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Fact is if PR went independent it would suffer from a severe brain and investment drain for a decade or two before finally hitting bottom and implementing business friendly policies which could help it recover.
If PR implemented business friendly policies, it might prosper as an independent nation. However, almost everyone that supports independence in PR has socialist views, so they'll probably grow the government even more and take over the private enterprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
 
43 posts, read 87,275 times
Reputation: 17
TRUCKER I do not understand your point, I am very educated Puerto Rican, and speak about our rich history, I speak about the good things in PR. why would you go out there and try to embarrass Puerto Ricans? I mean this is the point that I made in the previous post, If you have a least an ounce of PR why would you go out and say this and that, I don't get it. Here are the links of the rum article.

Rum Wars as Captain Morgan Sets Sail to the U.S. Virgin Islands - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

If you do an extensive study of Puerto Ricos natural resource youll find various articles and stats, I am not going to do everyone's job here if you are indeed PR, lets prove everyone that we are fully equipped. If you navigate darpp/Noaa, or if you navigate Últimas noticias &mdash; Puerto DRNA "Navega por el ambiente" youll find very good information about our natural resources. Not everyone that advocate independence has socialist ideas, I am perfect example that my vision of PR is more of Singapore then Venezuela, As I posted before about the situation with the NFL. Me personally, I can bring the NFL to PR, and rekindle the idea of MLB having an extension and forming the winter baseball with DR,PR, and Cuba. I go online to see what people think about the independence, their is a lack of knowledge and I cant blame those individuals but at least try your best to learn as most as you can.

I bet that you was not aware that in 1936, a secret plebiscite took place in PR. Senator Millard Tydings from Maryland drafted a provision to give PR independence, and the provision was similar to what later in years they called "commonwealth" , which is a transitional system but more limited to what the commonwealth is. When the plebiscite took place, FDR stated that if PR does decide to go Ind. that US would cut all benefits immediately. Even then, US had no intentions of well being of PR. This so call independence bill was more or less a show about that PR cannot progress with out the US. As I said before, How come Singapore progressed with out Great Britain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 PM
 
35 posts, read 62,583 times
Reputation: 22
There is ZERO chance that PR will gain "independence" from the US. Just as much of a chance that Hawaii or Alaska wil gain "independence" from the US.

Moot issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,800,399 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post
TRUCKER I do not understand your point, I am very educated Puerto Rican, and speak about our rich history, I speak about the good things in PR. why would you go out there and try to embarrass Puerto Ricans? I mean this is the point that I made in the previous post, If you have a least an ounce of PR why would you go out and say this and that, I don't get it. Here are the links of the rum article.

Rum Wars as Captain Morgan Sets Sail to the U.S. Virgin Islands - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)
I'm not trying to embarrass anyone. I even posted a few pictures //www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...-guam-u-5.html, and will defend it from malicious attacks. But, you can't paint PR like a tropical paradise where everything is good and everyone gets along if it weren't for the damned yankees.

Ok, you give me one link. However, on the previous post you mentioned that Capt. Morgan is leaving "due to the political instability in PR and the parasite that is commonwealth". The article mentions that they are leaving for another US territory, the Virgin Islands, who offered them a sweeter deal. And they elected the USVI over two independent countries, Jamaica and Guatemala. You also said that if PR were independent, all of the rum money would've stayed in PR. Well, that will only happen in PR nationalizes the rum industry (socialism). If an American company is running a rum company in PR, the profits will go back to the American owners whether PR is independent or not.

Now, can you please provide links about the billions that are coming from the coconut oil, the billion dollars that Planters offered PR, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 02:57 PM
 
43 posts, read 87,275 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I'm not trying to embarrass anyone. I even posted a few pictures //www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...-guam-u-5.html, and will defend it from malicious attacks. But, you can't paint PR like a tropical paradise where everything is good and everyone gets along if it weren't for the damned yankees.

Ok, you give me one link. However, on the previous post you mentioned that Capt. Morgan is leaving "due to the political instability in PR and the parasite that is commonwealth". The article mentions that they are leaving for another US territory, the Virgin Islands, who offered them a sweeter deal. And they elected the USVI over two independent countries, Jamaica and Guatemala. You also said that if PR were independent, all of the rum money would've stayed in PR. Well, that will only happen in PR nationalizes the rum industry (socialism). If an American company is running a rum company in PR, the profits will go back to the American owners whether PR is independent or not.

Now, can you please provide links about the billions that are coming from the coconut oil, the billion dollars that Planters offered PR, etc...


Trucker7,

I appreciate that your are taken your time to response, but I am going to take a small little risk here. When I get online and check forums about the status of PR, I like to engage in intellectual debates with out harming anyone or calling names, that is not what I am about. I do take personally, when people bash the idea of a progressive PR with even if its given full autonomy. Been able to do free trading with any country. been able to progress on our own, just on that prospect is where I can see a better future for PR.

The infomartion that I provided to you in other post the story about the NFL,Rum, etc, is information that I personally was able to obtain on my own and not from links or anything like that. I have an agenda, and even given you that info was somewhat in the name of educating people. This info is something I will use as my arsenal, to question the ability of PR politicians and what they have done with the funds obtain through the US.Unless in 2012, you wave a sign with my handle name then I will take time to speak with you.

I know you said that I belive that PR is a paradise, and I honestly don't think it is paradise. I am aware of the social disorder in the island, but I cant just go online or go out their to the world and say "I am PR, and their is corruption, and PRicans are lazy, and PR cannot depend on themselves,blah blah" I am not that type, I educate people on the things that is good about PR, and that PR has a lot to offer as an independent country. I am not the political parties that sell you their ideals on status, who use the PR status to garner votes. This is the thing about the independence, I have come across groups who as we speak want to kill the bill.2499, keep in mind that PR statehood comes at a cost and this bill will give more delegations to PR then 25 other states, so right off the bat you have states like North Carolina, Arkansas, Alabama, etc would loose representation, and are against the bill. Not even Washington DC, has no representation in the senate and most likely to become the 51st state. So lets say the only thing left for PR is commonwealth been that state,and independence as been non-factors. Wouldn't one day perhaps soon, some rogue politician would dispose of PR due to its economic absorption. Little by little you have "Americans" publishing more books about how costly is PR, then Americans supporting statehood. All I saying is why not prepare yourself, why not support someone who is willing and really find whats good for the people. Like I said, why bash an idea that at the end one never knows that it can be our only option. Out of no where you got Americans weighing on the issue of the status, and now they asking "Hey, what about us?" Why no one is asking us, my taxes are going to PR, etc". You get my idea,I am not those independent believers that are anti-American. I would not have built a country or progress people based on hatred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
 
35 posts, read 62,583 times
Reputation: 22
^^^^^^^You know how I know your a liar and that your full of garbage? Because you said Israel has a thriving economy and they are an independent country. Israel not only has a terrible economy, where people live in trailers throughout the entire country because about 80% of their money goes towards keeping Palestine oppressed, in other words, towards the military, but, also, Israel gets more foreign aid from the USA than any other country on earth, by far. Being a small country like Israel, and recieving over 10 billion dollars a year for free from the US, I would hardly say Israel is on their own.

Thats how I know you dont know what your talking about.



Other than that, since were talking about PR, I want to state that PR is a great country/state/whatever it is, the people are great, the places are great, and the economy is geat. I would not want to live anywhere else, it is in fact a paradise. I would like to say no one, but Ill just say hardly anyone is depressed in PR. Theres green everywhere, the sun shines, it doesnt get above 92 degrees, hardly above 90. The economy is fine, but you cant compare it to only the wealthiest parts of the wealthiest country on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
 
1,772 posts, read 4,074,256 times
Reputation: 4740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad View Post
^^^^^^^You know how I know your a liar and that your full of garbage? Because you said Israel has a thriving economy and they are an independent country. Israel not only has a terrible economy, where people live in trailers throughout the entire country because about 80% of their money goes towards keeping Palestine oppressed, in other words, towards the military, but, also, Israel gets more foreign aid from the USA than any other country on earth, by far. Being a small country like Israel, and recieving over 10 billion dollars a year for free from the US, I would hardly say Israel is on their own.

Thats how I know you dont know what your talking about.



Other than that, since were talking about PR, I want to state that PR is a great country/state/whatever it is, the people are great, the places are great, and the economy is geat. I would not want to live anywhere else, it is in fact a paradise. I would like to say no one, but Ill just say hardly anyone is depressed in PR. Theres green everywhere, the sun shines, it doesnt get above 92 degrees, hardly above 90. The economy is fine, but you cant compare it to only the wealthiest parts of the wealthiest country on Earth.
You've lost your mind. Go back to the shade, the sun has made you blind.

PR is an impoverished island colony full of people too consumed with inconsequential folkloric identity to care about getting mad about their inability to put food on the table without a hand out. An island colony kept that way by a few families more concerned with their next trip to Aspen than the high crime and dispossession that everybody else has to share with the peanut gallery in the streets. The fact that it has Caribbean weather is HARDLY a just opportunity cost for a life of clipped wings and lowered expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top