Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM

43 posts, read 94,068 times

Advertisements

It is very important to educate the masses, you have many individuals teachers that represent the political parties in PR, is either PNP or PPD and they educate Puerto Ricans based on their opinions. when I talk to puerto ricans that the flag was illegal for you demonstrate in 1898 until 1952, many people with my mouth open surprise that in school that was never taught. Now in the school system that has a colonial mentality I don't understand why PR would educate us on the poverty of Haiti or the DR, why not talk about the richness of Israel a country with hardly many resources a country that is surrounded by mostly sand, or what about the island of Singapore, and island with no resource yet they one of the richest country in the world, why not teach puerto ricans about those things. The only thing I hear is negative things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 PM

There is a country called Micronesia or federate states of Micronesia, this country in which became Independent from U.S. in 1986, they have U.S citizenship, they have some great benefits and they have free Association with the U.S.. The country also receives food assistance, and funds every year from the U.S. to create a infrastructure for themselves to be governed, the same thing can be the same in PR a free country with free association with the U.S. Do some research on this country, Micronesia. I don't see how this cannot be accomplished.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 PM

Another fact, is that if people in PR want to become 51st state, then they should also include Guam, American Samoa, Marina Islands, and US Virgin Islands. Those are other territories part of US, who just as PR also has the right to be part of US. Imagine how much would that cost US to bring other territories as states. Not favorable if the average american is educated on this topic. I can go on and on and make good debate how becoming a state is very costly

Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 PM

In Micronesia, they still enjoyed free association with US, they still receives funds to help the infrastructure and yet they an independent country. In fact US allows to have dual citizenship, and when you turn 21 you can decide of you want to become US citizenship or micronesia. I dont know what is the issue of PR becoming its own country, they still can have free association with the US.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Wow, antillanosiempre I see that you're trying to build up your post count. 5 Consecutive posts within an hour. And what's up with the bold posts.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 PM

I am using a laptop that sometimes has its down brains, so I dont like to deal with it.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
There is a country called Micronesia or federate states of Micronesia, this country in which became Independent from U.S. in 1986
Micronesia, Palau, the Marshall Islands, etc are NOT sovereign nations. They are self governing possessions of the United States. They have internal autonomy but we (as in the United States) still control defense, foreign affairs, etc.

Puerto Rico will never become an independent nation, like all of the world's remaining colonies they have chosen to be colonies. PR chooses to be a US colony, Bermuda chooses to be a British colony, Aruba chooses to be a Dutch colony, Martinique chooses to be a French colony. This is something that the UN's "De-colonization Committee" seems to be unable to grasp.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM

The candidate most likely to gain 51st state, is Washington DC. And if PR wants to become independent, they also has to bring in the US Virgin Islands. Part of the so call commonwealth of Prusvi. Either way, those countries part of micronesia are free to trade with any country. Not something that PR can do.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Correction:If PR is admitted to the union, the us also has to admit US virgin islands as part of the commonwealth of prusvi.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antillanosiempre View Post
There is a country called Micronesia or federate states of Micronesia, this country in which became Independent from U.S. in 1986, they have U.S citizenship, they have some great benefits and they have free Association with the U.S.. The country also receives food assistance, and funds every year from the U.S. to create a infrastructure for themselves to be governed, the same thing can be the same in PR a free country with free association with the U.S. Do some research on this country, Micronesia. I don't see how this cannot be accomplished.

There is also a HUGE homeless population of Micronesians who have flocked to Hawaii.......the 50th state does not know what to do with them, and they are living on and crowding the beaches, straining social services and contributing to an increase in the crime rate.

Just saying..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories