Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times

Advertisements

Argentina is NOT doing anywhere near ok. That's why Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner is always bitching about the Falklands and the mythical Argentine claim .... to try and turn the public's attention away from Argentina's imploding economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 PM

300 posts, read 638,723 times
Puerto Rico is pretty rich compared to the rest of Latin America..

Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,318 times
USA Municipio 79!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Puerto Rico is pretty rich compared to the rest of Latin America..
Unfortunately that used to be true. I checked the data at the CIA website and from the looks of things, PR is the only place in Latin America that has been on a continual decline since 2006. Ironically, in 2006 Puerto Rico was the richest place in Latin America with a GDP per capita of about $20,000. Its unbelievable how much has been lost in such a short time!

If things continue to go from bad to worst, Puerto Rico will be surpassed by Chile and maybe even Uruguay and Mexico by the end of this year!

Plus, the gap with the Dominican Republic is now the lowest since Operation Bootstrap was put in place. If PR continues to decline as it has been for the past 5 years, we can all expect the Dominican Republic to be richer than Puerto Rico by 2017, based on IMF projections for the Dominican Republic and an average income loss of $740 per year for Puerto Rico (based on the average loss during the past 5 years). That reality is only 5 years from potentially becoming true.

Argentina $17,400
Puerto Rico $16,300
Chile $16,100
Uruguay $15,400
Mexico $15,100
Panama $13,600
Venezuela $12,400
Brazil $11,600
Costa Rica $11,500
Colombia $10,100
Peru $10,000
Cuba $9,900
Dominican Republic $9,300
Ecuador $8,300
El Salvador $7,600
Paraguay $5,500
Guatemala $5,000
Bolivia $4,800
Honduras $4,300
Nicaragua $3,200

This is simply not good regardless which way we look at it. Its quite embarrassing actually, since Puerto Rico has so many advantages given its ties with the US that the other independent Latin countries don't have.

The only reason new ramshackle slums haven't been sprouting all over the island is due to the exodus of so many Puerto Ricans to the U.S. mainland.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM

43 posts, read 94,068 times
I personally don’t like to compare PR to other Latin countries in terms of economy, even though there are similarities in culture, language, etc. The reality is that PR should be compared to other US territories and PR is one of the poorest of those territories such as Guam, US Virgin Islands, etc. The GDP in PR, and other territories don’t really show a clear picture of what the economy is for those territories. However, as I stated before Puerto Ricans go hand in hand with other Latin countries whoever a Mexican goes so does a PR, it is obvious that when a PR goes on its way to prosper in the US then we basically are judged all in the same boat, no extra privileges. I think for the better of PR, MOST Latin countries should go all out to find better economic system.

I always said one of these days some Rogue Politician is going to point out some of the tax burdens that PR presents to the US and exercise desertion because at the end it is congress who decides the fate of PRs future, not the people or no referundum would decide the future of PR.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:26 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
This may sound really bad, but I kind of don't want them to gain their independence from the US.

I like the fact that I....as an American citizen can just fly directly to PR without a passport, without exchanging my money, without having to worry about whether or not the power will be going out, whether the internet will be down, blatent lawless-ness, etc. Like in Jamaica....beautiful island, but generally dont feel safe there

I enjoy that PR has it's own distinct culture, language, and flavor, yet it loosely tied to the US and has some familiar things on the island like Home Depot, fast-food chains, malls, etc. It kind of has the best of both worlds.

Speaking of which, Im already in the beginning stages of planning my winter vacation there for 2 weeks in January. I love PR and the people and the natural beauty... I would hate for things to change....in the sense that they become their own country and access is denied or is harder.... I know i know, im just being selfish, but c'mon its beautiful I want PR to be part of America in some way.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
This may sound really bad, but I kind of don't want them to gain their independence from the US.

I like the fact that I....as an American citizen can just fly directly to PR without a passport, without exchanging my money, without having to worry about whether or not the power will be going out, whether the internet will be down, blatent lawless-ness, etc. Like in Jamaica....beautiful island, but generally dont feel safe there

I enjoy that PR has it's own distinct culture, language, and flavor, yet it loosely tied to the US and has some familiar things on the island like Home Depot, fast-food chains, malls, etc. It kind of has the best of both worlds.

Speaking of which, Im already in the beginning stages of planning my winter vacation there for 2 weeks in January. I love PR and the people and the natural beauty... I would hate for things to change....in the sense that they become their own country and access is denied or is harder.... I know i know, im just being selfish, but c'mon its beautiful I want PR to be part of America in some way.
It's not going to happen. Greater autonomy perhaps, but not independence. Only about 10% of Puerto Ricans want independence.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,946 times
Quote:

I like the fact that I....as an American citizen can just fly directly to PR without a passport, without exchanging my money, without having to worry about whether or not the power will be going out, whether the internet will be down, blatent lawless-ness, etc. SNIP .
Have you spent much time there?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 10,161 times
Default Annie of Oldsmar

Annie with all due respect, if you don't agree with my opinion, it doesn't give you the right to delete my post. You should allow freedom of speech on this forum or else its a worthless forum. please give me an explanation on why it was erased... Deliberate obfuscation is to make obscure or unclear statements, my point was very clear....

Old 05-08-2012, 01:21 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Quote:

Or the worst, depending on who you ask. I hate how the young people think anything American is cool. Chili's of all places is the hip spot for young people to eat, drink and be seen in Mayaguez. Olive Garden might as well be a 5 star gourmet restaurant, I have had to tell people that no, I will not drive 2 1/2 hours to San Juan with them to eat there. The island is moving towards a voluntary loss of its identity (just like statehood) but economic stagnation due to its current limbo.

After 18 months here I absolutely detest the "relationship". It's a sad state of affairs when a plurality of people talk up independence views and patriotism until the cows come home and then take no action whatsoever because it would be too difficult and uncertain a transition. Sad.

As an English instructor by trade, I can tell you this must be one of the worst places in the world outside of combat zones to teach. Many think learning English is being a "vende patria" instead of attaining a skill that is vitally important in every part of the world. I don't think this mentality would exist outside of the current status. In fact students from other countries like the DR, Colombia, etc. have much more desire to learn with me (Inter has students from all over Latin America).

The truth is, no one has any idea where this place is heading. No one has a forward vision. I'd rather live in a dirt poor country with forward progress than a colony which only tries to maintain the bare minimum to survive until tomorrow and thereby falls further behind. 3rd world salaries and 1st world costs of living. Fabulous.

But hey North Americans, come one and come all. You can step off the plane and go to get tanked up at Senor Frog's before boarding the cruise ship. Pretty cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories