U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
 
1,003 posts, read 2,370,536 times
Reputation: 669

Advertisements

Is there any chance Puerto Rico could gain independence from the U.S. Do many Puerto Ricans desire independence or do they prefer to be a territory...with the perks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2008, 08:13 PM
 
1,729 posts, read 4,521,315 times
Reputation: 850
Exclamation Independence

We prefer to keep the status quo. If anything, some prefer it to be another state, except that it will take the name away from Mississippi, as the most poorer one. Puerto Rico is a very small island with very few natural resources. We are wayyy overpopulated. What we will gain by becoming independent? There are people who may want it , but most of us do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Puerto Rico
177 posts, read 883,416 times
Reputation: 105
I don't know if people in PR realize the fact that with their high population count PR will gain a significant number of electoral votes. To be specific, in today's close elections PR would play a huge role. Also, having a say in the Senate and the House could bring more money to PR. Who knows, maybe there would be enough pork to build a bridge between Florida and PR, just ask Palin . I don't agree that PR and Mississippi are comparable. PR has much more potential that Mississippi and with more fiscal support and oversight from the mainland, it would climb ranks among the other states. Reason for this hypothesis is an example of many Eastern European nations that joined the EU. Many of these nations have been considerably less off than their western neighbors, and now their economies are becoming stronger and quality of life has improved dramatically. Some say that after becoming a state PR would become another Hawaii. First, Hawaii is better off than Mississippi. Second, PR and Hawaii are drastically different is almost every respect.

I wonder what other fellow bloggers feel about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 03:12 PM
 
345 posts, read 1,155,461 times
Reputation: 107
I remember when they nominated McCaine the PR reps said "The 51st state of the union!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Rockport Texas from El Paso
2,601 posts, read 7,688,398 times
Reputation: 1583
Do your homework 1979 and google PR independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 AM
 
1,772 posts, read 4,075,616 times
Reputation: 4740
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
I don't know if people in PR realize the fact that with their high population count PR will gain a significant number of electoral votes. To be specific, in today's close elections PR would play a huge role. Also, having a say in the Senate and the House could bring more money to PR. Who knows, maybe there would be enough pork to build a bridge between Florida and PR, just ask Palin . I don't agree that PR and Mississippi are comparable. PR has much more potential that Mississippi and with more fiscal support and oversight from the mainland, it would climb ranks among the other states. Reason for this hypothesis is an example of many Eastern European nations that joined the EU. Many of these nations have been considerably less off than their western neighbors, and now their economies are becoming stronger and quality of life has improved dramatically. Some say that after becoming a state PR would become another Hawaii. First, Hawaii is better off than Mississippi. Second, PR and Hawaii are drastically different is almost every respect.

I wonder what other fellow bloggers feel about this.
Um, I come from a pro-statehood family, but even I must recognize the reasons PR will never become a state and the intricacies that make such a proposition a pipedream. PR and Mississippi are must certainly comparable. PR is a densely populated island, with a lot of brain drain going on. There are more second generation PR folk in the mainland than there are Puerto Ricans in the island. Mississippi has a problem with education levels and industry, which is exactly the same as Puerto Rico's problem. PR doesn't need to become a state to derive tax incentives to bring industries in, but PR has a TOUGH case to pitch to Corporate America when it comes to production costs given that doing business in an island increases costs across the board. Mississippi has a boatload of land and the mainland connectivity of being inside the continental US, putting it at a much greater advantage than Puerto Rico from a business perspective.

Look, the business model has been tried before. The only reason leading edge industry would invest in Puerto Rico is for the tax advantage, but that's not really an advantage to Puerto Rico long-term, which is why it went away (google seccion 936). As to federal funding, PR is the poster child for welfare state and consumption junction. It's the epitomy of a false service-based economy with the number #1 employer being the government and its highest operating cost being payroll.

As to the HI comparison, Hawaii ain't doing that great either on that [economic] front, the main industry is tourism, and as a state, HI has the highest percentage of government contribution to the gross state product (21%) when compared to the other 49. This is NOT a coincidence; PR would MIRROR HI's economic architecture to a T if it would become a state, and if there is something PR would surpass above HI it would be government employment numbers. Not exactly a case for positives. Puerto Rico has way more competition than HI on the tourism front, and as opposed to Hawaii's economic identity, Puerto Ricans in the island do not view themselves as this tourism-slaved populace of warm welcoming servants, they view themselves as entitled american citizens above the caribbean froth, deserving of high tech and cubicle jobs in spite of the clear absence of indsutry to support such an entitlement, which is WHY most educated people are employed in government pushing paper, or (such as myself) left for the mainland. Good bad or indifferent, that is the reality for the educated class in PR, which is still the minority per capita when compared to the 50 states. So yes, I too would like to see PR become a state and shed its colonial false national identity shackles that keep most people down there DUMB and dispossessed, but I do not tout it as the automatic economic salvation of the island. Furthermore, from a mainlander perspective I can come up with a dozen economic reasons why it doesn't make sense to incorporate the island into the union. The entitlements would go through the roof under congressional voting power, and in the end that will do nothing to help the rest of the country. Selfish? Perhaps, but it's the economic truth.

So let's do the math. A population with cultural and national identity hangups kept ignorant by the minority burgeouise class that pushes the national identity agenda on the indigent (i.e. the whole damn island) and an American Congress with 2,057 freggin' economic incentives from both parties to NOT touch that subject with a 10-foot pole, and 100 years of historical inertia thrown in there for good measure...equals PR statehood AND independence as a pipedream. The island's timing to do the statehood thing was late 40s and 1950 at the most, they missed their chance, HI didn't.

Independence will never happen. Economically it would be a disaster, and PR is ALREADY an economic disaster. This rubs some pro-independence people down there the wrong way, but they have their neighbor to argue that; most people would do a re-enactment of the fall of Saigon the second that island becomes independent. Those days are over, the island will never become independent, it will remain a colony in my estimation. Statehood would be economically marginally beneficial to the island, but it wouldn't save it from its ills overnight. Problem is that most people in the CONUS have NO incentives to make PR the 51st state and do recognize the average's Puerto Rican's national identity sentiment of ambiguity, which reinforces the idea that they don't want it. It's just not gonna happen. The best a person from PR can hope for is to attain a competitive education to jump ship to the mainland like I did, or remain in the island and accept the opportunity cost of residing in a colony of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Puerto Rico
177 posts, read 883,416 times
Reputation: 105
hindsight2020, you make it sound that the only way to change things is to have a revolt! In all seriousness, the bigger and clunkier the government is the easier it is to take down. Perhaps in few more years the government of PR will become so inflated that it will collapse under its own weight and then it will be replaced by something that will be better for the people of Puerto Rico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2008, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Brookneal and other
15 posts, read 97,650 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Um, I come from a pro-statehood family, but even I must recognize the reasons PR will never become a state and the intricacies that make such a proposition a pipedream. PR and Mississippi are must certainly comparable. PR is a densely populated island, with a lot of brain drain going on. There are more second generation PR folk in the mainland than there are Puerto Ricans in the island. Mississippi has a problem with education levels and industry, which is exactly the same as Puerto Rico's problem. PR doesn't need to become a state to derive tax incentives to bring industries in, but PR has a TOUGH case to pitch to Corporate America when it comes to production costs given that doing business in an island increases costs across the board. Mississippi has a boatload of land and the mainland connectivity of being inside the continental US, putting it at a much greater advantage than Puerto Rico from a business perspective.

Look, the business model has been tried before. The only reason leading edge industry would invest in Puerto Rico is for the tax advantage, but that's not really an advantage to Puerto Rico long-term, which is why it went away (google seccion 936). As to federal funding, PR is the poster child for welfare state and consumption junction. It's the epitomy of a false service-based economy with the number #1 employer being the government and its highest operating cost being payroll.

As to the HI comparison, Hawaii ain't doing that great either on that [economic] front, the main industry is tourism, and as a state, HI has the highest percentage of government contribution to the gross state product (21%) when compared to the other 49. This is NOT a coincidence; PR would MIRROR HI's economic architecture to a T if it would become a state, and if there is something PR would surpass above HI it would be government employment numbers. Not exactly a case for positives. Puerto Rico has way more competition than HI on the tourism front, and as opposed to Hawaii's economic identity, Puerto Ricans in the island do not view themselves as this tourism-slaved populace of warm welcoming servants, they view themselves as entitled american citizens above the caribbean froth, deserving of high tech and cubicle jobs in spite of the clear absence of indsutry to support such an entitlement, which is WHY most educated people are employed in government pushing paper, or (such as myself) left for the mainland. Good bad or indifferent, that is the reality for the educated class in PR, which is still the minority per capita when compared to the 50 states. So yes, I too would like to see PR become a state and shed its colonial false national identity shackles that keep most people down there DUMB and dispossessed, but I do not tout it as the automatic economic salvation of the island. Furthermore, from a mainlander perspective I can come up with a dozen economic reasons why it doesn't make sense to incorporate the island into the union. The entitlements would go through the roof under congressional voting power, and in the end that will do nothing to help the rest of the country. Selfish? Perhaps, but it's the economic truth.

So let's do the math. A population with cultural and national identity hangups kept ignorant by the minority burgeouise class that pushes the national identity agenda on the indigent (i.e. the whole damn island) and an American Congress with 2,057 freggin' economic incentives from both parties to NOT touch that subject with a 10-foot pole, and 100 years of historical inertia thrown in there for good measure...equals PR statehood AND independence as a pipedream. The island's timing to do the statehood thing was late 40s and 1950 at the most, they missed their chance, HI didn't.

Independence will never happen. Economically it would be a disaster, and PR is ALREADY an economic disaster. This rubs some pro-independence people down there the wrong way, but they have their neighbor to argue that; most people would do a re-enactment of the fall of Saigon the second that island becomes independent. Those days are over, the island will never become independent, it will remain a colony in my estimation. Statehood would be economically marginally beneficial to the island, but it wouldn't save it from its ills overnight. Problem is that most people in the CONUS have NO incentives to make PR the 51st state and do recognize the average's Puerto Rican's national identity sentiment of ambiguity, which reinforces the idea that they don't want it. It's just not gonna happen. The best a person from PR can hope for is to attain a competitive education to jump ship to the mainland like I did, or remain in the island and accept the opportunity cost of residing in a colony of the US.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
 
60,526 posts, read 85,641,464 times
Reputation: 13298
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
We prefer to keep the status quo. If anything, some prefer it to be another state, except that it will take the name away from Mississippi, as the most poorer one. Puerto Rico is a very small island with very few natural resources. We are wayyy overpopulated. What we will gain by becoming independent? There are people who may want it , but most of us do not.
I think New Mexico is up there in terms of poverty too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 PM
 
1,084 posts, read 3,309,181 times
Reputation: 501
Why would Puerto Rico want to become an independent country? Many people have said that it's poor by stateside standards; but it is very well-off when you compare it to the rest of the Caribbean and Latin America. And of course their economy isn't doing to good right now, it's linked to ours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top