U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 PM

905 posts, read 2,178,640 times

Advertisements

Mexico is rough...a couple nice tourist places but there is sooo much violence going on within the country due to the drug trade, that a lot of civilians are becoming casualties in the war
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,475,113 times
There's probably more Spanish culture in Alburquerque, NM than in PR.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 AM
emh

298 posts, read 786,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Mexico is rough...a couple nice tourist places but there is sooo much violence going on within the country due to the drug trade, that a lot of civilians are becoming casualties in the war
Oh please, Mexico is NOT rough. I spent 4 months there this year, traveled to lots of different places and never once felt unsafe. The problem with the drug trade is largely confined to a few areas of the country, which are easily avoided. Both Guanajuato and Oaxaca are perfectly safe cities.

Calling Mexico rough because there are problems in some areas would be like calling the US rough because there's violence in Detroit. Mexico, just like the US, is a huge country.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 AM

177 posts, read 882,957 times
I am in PR right now (visiting). People state their opinions and often are very colorful and sometimes forceful while conveying their point of view. For instance the issue of driving. It is not that bad. Of course it is not your Sunday-suburban-church-drive, but then again it is much better than driving in New York or Boston. Now, regarding learning about the Spanish culture. You will learn about Spanish culture from the past, how Spain conducted itself during its colonial days, and you will learn about this from the point of view of a colony. People in PR are nice but you have to understand that you are a tourist and by definition an intruder of their life. It is also interesting to see how the Spanish culture of the past has been adapted by the islanders into their own way. Of course Spanish is not the only including force, so you also learn how other external cultures have influenced the local people. Therefore, if you are interested in learning about people and how their way of life can be changed by external cultures, then PR would be an interesting place to visit. Anyways ... I like it here.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 PM

12 posts, read 34,592 times
As a Puerto Rican, I would say that you would learn of the PuertoRican culture, which is full of life, no matter the gloom and doom. But will you learn decent Spanish? doubt it-- especially in San Juan, where most speak English....Unfortunately, we speak with tons of anglicisms, are so bilingual that switch languages without noticing; and dont quite pronounce our r or our s's...

Hate to discourage you, but I found that my Spanish improved significantly when I moved away and lived/worked in South America.

Have you thought of Miami? I now live in the Miami area, and depending where you go, you may speak as much Spanish here as in PR (ie. not perfect as noted above)--and it 's safer--just a thought.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 21,891 times
You should also visit St. Croix. St. Croix is not far from Puerto Rico. It is a lot smaller but there is a Spanish culture here and Spanish is often spoken. The food and music have strong Spanish influence.There are many beautiful beaches and visitors are treated warmly.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:16 AM

171 posts, read 572,199 times
Smile Very nice pictures...

I enjoyed them. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories