U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 AM

917 posts, read 2,124,069 times

Advertisements

Wow, well thanks for all the info. Guess I'll keep looking around. I really am not terribly happy with North Carolina, way too conservative for me and too hot in the summer. Maybe I wouldn't have liked P.R. for the same reasons. I'm not retired yet, a few more years to go, but I'm really looking for something different, unique. I guess I would like an adventure. Have thought about Alaska too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 01:30 PM

8 posts, read 35,516 times
When I made the MISTAKE of moving here 2.5 years ago, I was living comfortably on $600 a month, no husband, mortage or kids. Now I need close to $1000 a month. Everything an American is used to has to be imported, from furniture to oranges. A bunch of celery costs close to $3. and a pint of strawberries can be as much as $3.50. I stay here because my father loves to visit. When he dies I will sell and move back to the States. Also, loud cars, loud car stereos are a constant problem. There is no piece and quiet even in the most rural areas. I HATE IT HERE!!!!!!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:35 PM

917 posts, read 2,124,069 times
Oh, I'm so sorry. Where did you live before? Why did you choose PR?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:09 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,666,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Oh, I'm so sorry. Where did you live before? Why did you choose PR?
The response will be interesting. Prior research and a pre-move visit is so important but the poster's response seems to bear a commonality with so many who move to personally uncharted territory, can't "fit in" for whatever reason whether it be economically or culturally and then leave with nothing to say but negatives. I couldn't imagine staying in a place one "hates" just because one's father likes to visit and, thinking ahead to when he passes so that you can (presumably) grab the inheritance and move back to the perceived greener pastures. Just a thought and a personal comment. Cheers!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM

33 posts, read 75,189 times
Azoria;
I retired to Northwest Arkansas, and you are completely mistaken about northwest Arkansas if you are serious in those comments about Arkansas and Appalachia. The cost of living is less here, and there is plenty of services, recreation, cultural and sporting events.
New resident

Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM

135 posts, read 467,968 times
Ok 1600. should be enough. To rent somewhere sure. Now you need to manage your money well that's all. But if you bought a small house in a good area in the beautiful countryside (I recommend Corozal, Naranjito, Aibonito, good areas of Arecibo, etc) with a good amount of land you can do the same as my father is doing. My father got a 3 bedroom home for 80K and pays no mortgage. HE ONLY RECEIVES 1400. a month retirement. He has a little over an acre of gorgeous land with breathtaking vistas. He finds ways to save monthly on groceries by growing his own fruit and vegetables. And it is fun doing it he loves it. He also has his own coup full of chickens which produce eggs for him every morning for breakfast (he also slaughters the chickens for meat once in a while but that's not for everyone). He barely spends on groceries, and keeps his electric bill low by not having air conditioning (the countryside at higher elevation is ALOT cooler and breezier), and allowing natural light in during the day. That is just some of the ways he is living so well on so little. You can message me if u need more advice on how he does it. But he and his wife certainly have found paradise and when I go visit there I fall in love with P.R and wish I could stay forever. You dont want to retire and just sit around with everything handed to you do you? Working and living off the land is healthy, empowering, and fulfilling. Nothing like waking up in the morning, picking fresh eggs , and a nice ripe grapefruit from your own tree and preparing your own breakfast, and sitting outside listening to the birds singing and roosters croaking. You can grow just about anything in that soil it is so rich.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM

770 posts, read 1,612,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post
Ok 1600. should be enough. To rent somewhere sure. Now you need to manage your money well that's all. But if you bought a small house in a good area in the beautiful countryside (I recommend Corozal, Naranjito, Aibonito, good areas of Arecibo, etc) with a good amount of land you can do the same as my father is doing. My father got a 3 bedroom home for 80K and pays no mortgage. HE ONLY RECEIVES 1400. a month retirement. He has a little over an acre of gorgeous land with breathtaking vistas. He finds ways to save monthly on groceries by growing his own fruit and vegetables. And it is fun doing it he loves it. He also has his own coup full of chickens which produce eggs for him every morning for breakfast (he also slaughters the chickens for meat once in a while but that's not for everyone). He barely spends on groceries, and keeps his electric bill low by not having air conditioning (the countryside at higher elevation is ALOT cooler and breezier), and allowing natural light in during the day. That is just some of the ways he is living so well on so little. You can message me if u need more advice on how he does it. But he and his wife certainly have found paradise and when I go visit there I fall in love with P.R and wish I could stay forever. You dont want to retire and just sit around with everything handed to you do you? Working and living off the land is healthy, empowering, and fulfilling. Nothing like waking up in the morning, picking fresh eggs , and a nice ripe grapefruit from your own tree and preparing your own breakfast, and sitting outside listening to the birds singing and roosters croaking. You can grow just about anything in that soil it is so rich.
Very nice picturesque story, makes a person envision simpler times, a place and time where time could stand still, I could almost feel the breeze over the mountainside, lol, views must be refreshing. The countryside is quite beautiful there, thanks for sharing. except for the slaughtering of the chickens, lol

Old 03-16-2010, 09:03 AM

83 posts, read 122,767 times
Littlepawsinn:

I would be very interested in talking with you or your father about some of his experiences living in the Puerto Rico mountains. Please drop me a message if you don't mind me asking you some questions about his experience.

Thanks!

David

Old 05-16-2010, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,620 times
Default Retire in Adjuntas or Utuado

I am interested in Adjuntas or Utuado PR. Just found a house for rent in Adjuntas for $500/mo with coffee plantation. I'm thinking of renting out 2 of the 4 bdrms and growing veggies for local hotels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepawsinn View Post

Old 06-07-2010, 06:38 PM

72 posts, read 172,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
In the metro area, not only no but hell no you can;t retire on 1600/mo. Asking how much it would cost to retire in PR is like asking how much it will cost to retire in Hawaii. Yes, cost of living is THAT out of control.

To give you some example, to rent my parent's upstairs, centrally located around UPR (University of Puerto Rico) for a so-so OLD neighborhood in a structure constructed in 1954 and just moderately updated it'll cost ya 800/mo. Utilities will eat you alive in the summer, surprisingly WATER will be a substantial portion of that cost. So that's around 400/mo. So that leaves ya with 400/mo for gas, food, entertainment, health care supplement....forget it. 1600/mo net in PR is college student, who lives at home mind you, budget. Like the previous poster alluded to, the SE CONUS or the Midwest offers a more economically solvent alternative to retirement on that income. You can always visit...good luck.
Your parents are slumlords!!! Why are they charging that much money for what seems to be a ?&%$# . I'm thinking they are living off students room and board.
Sorry but that is why many people are not coming to Puerto Rico.
I have lived in PR for over 30 yrs, ok not the greatest place on on earth and yes I would love to relocate because of personal issues. But; you know I live in a gated community, 10 mins from the ocean and have NEVER been a victim to crime.except maybe petty theft. Thats the price to pay for your piece of maybe ..paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories