U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 PM

72 posts, read 172,879 times

Advertisements

By the way my morgage is $800 4//2 great yard!!! I would rent it for 1100. Send me some of those UPR students!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 PM

241 posts, read 955,649 times
I just don't like the prospect of having to retire here unless you live in a place with mass transit. our culture is highly dependent of the automobile (wasn't always like this) so what happens when you get too old to drive?

Old 06-30-2011, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 19,619 times
I am planning to retier in PR at age 70. Can anyone explain the tax advantages for someone from the States retiring in PR such as Federal Income Tax on my pension, Property Tax on the residence (probably around Fajardo) I plan to purchase etc. I have reviewed all the tax laws but quite frankly I can't make sense out of them. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,765 times
Spanish semi retire couple in middle 60's like to know if a $2,000. income will be sufficient to live in Caguas area like Cidra, Cayey and others. Out of city but close enough to it. Know some parts of the Island. We are now in Texas and and house up keeping, insurances and taxes are eating our earn money. Want simple but confortable live still, some stress free.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,032,713 times
I would really caution anyone thinking about retiring in Puerto Rico to make sure they are in good health. The medical care is one of the worst aspects of life in PR. Since doctors do not give appointments you should plan on spending at least four hours for a routine appointment.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,765 times
Can a retired active couple retire in the area of Cidra in a 1,800. SS income? I research houses for sale and the prices are sky high.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,976 times
we are retired and have always wanted to live on the beach and warmer weather. We live in California but are considering Puerto Rico. Any suggestions?

Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM

2,738 posts, read 3,424,632 times
Best thing to do is go to VRBO, find a home to rent for 3-6 months, explore the island, immerse yourself in the local scene, become a resident in spirit, subscribe to the Spanish language newspaper, join a church, find a barber/hair stylist/dog groomer, shop for groceries, pretend to shop for appliances and home repair stuff, drive on Puerto Rican roads...see how it fits you and your vision of what "beach" life should be. Subscribe to "Caribbean Business" before you go...read everything you can get your hands on about the history, the people, the politics, the economy, the ecology...learn about life in Puerto Rico. Learning about the climate is easy, other than a little humidity, it's almost always perfect.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM

2,879 posts, read 3,415,867 times
I won't deny there are many people in PR who unjustifiably live off of our hard earned tax dollars. But to state that "almost half" the population lives that way may be somewhat of an exaggeration.

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-10-2012 at 07:41 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 PM

5,981 posts, read 16,650,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Best thing to do is go to VRBO, find a home to rent for 3-6 months, explore the island, immerse yourself in the local scene, become a resident in spirit, subscribe to the Spanish language newspaper, join a church, find a barber/hair stylist/dog groomer, shop for groceries, pretend to shop for appliances and home repair stuff, drive on Puerto Rican roads...see how it fits you and your vision of what "beach" life should be. Subscribe to "Caribbean Business" before you go...read everything you can get your hands on about the history, the people, the politics, the economy, the ecology...learn about life in Puerto Rico. Learning about the climate is easy, other than a little humidity, it's almost always perfect.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
^^^^THIS!^^^^

We moved to St. Croix for 18 months - at that time it was VERY expensive and I hear it is only worse now, 5 years later. We did a pre-move visit of 10 days, got held up at gunpoint, still went. It was gorgeous. The weather was to die for - didn't care one way or the other about politics or anything else - but buying groceries on "vacation" even if you've told yourself you're living like a local is not the shocker doing it daily is. You find little tricks and who in the truck on the side of the road has the freshest fish, how to cook the local foods, etc., but still - it IS expensive. Everything.

I would caution you to be realistic - and I'd also suggest you go during hurricane season, or at least have part of your stay during that time. No, not so you can say you lived through a hurricane, but even the storms that aren't 'canes are impressive - the roads wash out, the lights are out - yes, it happens stateside, but the recovery time is much shorter. But don't tell yourself "I can live with that" unless you are POSITIVE you can. Whatever it is, it will be the one thing that grates on your last nerve. That not only goes for storms but for anything else...I know everything is a trade-off, but again - be sure whatever seems amiss to you is something you really can adjust to.

I'd also urge you to consider your health. Someone else mentioned inordinately long wait times. I have no personal knowledge of that, but I do know with some of the health issues my spouse and I faced it just seemed to be better to be close to the very best care available.

I wish the retirees the best. There are many days I feel we may have jumped the gun returning to the mainland so quickly - and then there are other days I'm pretty sure we did the right thing.

The one thing I would say is a definite - do NOT load up your worldly goods as if you will be there forever and pay through the nose to ship it. You may not be staying, and the move is costly going and coming. My recommendation is to put all your stuff in storage for a year and then decide whether to take out a very large loan and ship it or not. Some things you will find would never make it in that weather, some you will have no need of. But just in case you do come back, it's best to have something to start with again. People move off islands all the time and there are deals to be had; you should be able to set yourself up for a nominal cost and only buy as you need and as you get more permanently settled.

Good luck to you all!

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-10-2012 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: addendum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories