U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:39 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,648,812 times

Advertisements

Oh, for heaven's sake...! Those statements are unnecessarily broad! Let's break that one down a little bit. First, it is NOT a third world country unless you are comparing it to Long Island. It's actually quite populated, and the problems that have plagued the islands for years with regard to phone service and electricity actually seem to have stabilized. The roads are paved, no one is traveling by donkey, and the kitchens and bathrooms are inside...it's not some primitive collection of jungle huts! St. Thomas is quite the center of bustling activity and there are plenty of stateside stores to keep you feeling somewhat at home - Home Depot, Kmart, Starbucks, and a Hooters is going in. Charlotte Amalie is the main town and on first glance appears to be the entire island, but certainly is not. Many cruise ships dock there during high season and the Havensight area accomodates all of the day shoppers for the most part.

Dangerous and crime-ridden? In all fairness, the VI has it's share of woes with the bad guys, but it's not the Wild West. The police are seriously undermanned and undertrained and no doubt not prepared for the massive influx of ex-pats. If you are from a large city, use the same common sense you would at home and you will be fine. The caveat is that although this may appear to be paradise with the sparkling water and blue skies and views to die for, no place is paradise and there is crime everywhere. Be smart.

Americans do NOT live in clustered compounds...I'll step out on a limb here and say that on St. Croix, some of the mainlanders tended to group together - and those are the same ones that you wouldn't catch dead or alive in a local establishment. They are also way above average in income...and in any area you will have separation of the classes. I did see a great deal of fear from some of the mainlanders...fear of the islanders because the culture was different and you can have a hard time understanding what is being said to you for a long, long time. We all have some fear of the unknown. Do the islanders treat you terribly? Well...there's some tooth sucking going on but for the most part they are a friendly group once they see your face more than one time. As I stated, attrition is very high - it's a different way of life - and islanders aren't going to invest a lot of time in someone who will be gone in 6 months or so, or in snowbirds who land for January and February and then disappear until next year. Everyone seems to be related to everyone else, and you aren't. Get over it. The biggest problem I saw was Americans arriving on island with all of the answers to a system they can't possibly understand, and that pisses off any group of "born-there" citizens anywhere. As Americans we are a little on the arrogant side and think we have the keys to the candy store. The people of the West Indies have their own history and culture and the biggest mistake visitors or the newly transplanted can make is to try and make light of that or "correct" it. You'll not win any friends doing that - to be honest, if I were from the islands I think I would be resentful of all of the folks coming in and trying to make changes to develop the islands into Minneapolis...this is their home and has been for generations and respect, particuarly among the older islanders, is quite valued.

The USVI is right for some and wrong for others, in spite of the stellar weather and gorgeous scenery. It's not going to be "like back home", you can take that to the bank - but to state it's a third world country is a very unfair assessment in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 06:16 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,628,390 times
Thanks, Sam I Am, and well said. Some people should NEVER travel, let alone try and live in a different environment from that in which they were raised. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion about island living but that was such a grossly misinformative put-down it made my head spin. Cheers from a full-time resident since 1984 for whom this is home!

Old 11-20-2007, 04:19 AM

2 posts, read 88,443 times
Just correcting some misinformation.

There are many guest houses in the Virgin Islands and on St. John.

Last edited by hillcrest; 11-20-2007 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: incomplete response

Old 11-20-2007, 04:47 AM

Hillcrest, I apologize if my comments previously read incorrectly - I assumed the poster was asking about guest houses in the way of small inns with monthly rates that differ vastly from private rentals to stay at while making a pre-move visit or when first settling on island. I thought I made it clear when referencing this post

//www.city-data.com/forum/1727686-post17.html

Agreed, there are a number of places to stay in the Virgin Islands, whether vacationing or doing a visit to consider the move. My apologies to anyone I misled.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 PM

91 posts, read 351,811 times
St.Croix is by far the best place to live in the Virgin Islands..St.john is reserved for people that can pay millions for a small home,St.Thomas feels like Manhattan with Las Vegas crime...St.Croix is a great mix of people but like any place you go find out where you are going and talk to locals,the same place that the humble locals won't go you should not go either,but plan a stay of at least 2 months,everyhting moves 10 times slower so if you honk the horn while sitting in traffic it is not for you...

Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 AM

4,533 posts, read 6,773,039 times
Agree with St.CroixtoSeattle. I lived in St. Croix for four years and worked there as a Social Worker. It was a lovely place to live, I liked it more than St. Thomas which is the touristy island. The pace is much, much slower like some of the previous posters say, and after a while you find that besides the beach, buying perfumes and liquor, there's not much else to do.
Fredericksted is the west part of the island , it is a quaint little town where I lived and worked. We were there because my husband was working there, and left when he was transferred.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 22,639 times
I have lived in St. Croix for a few years now. In reading this thread, I see much sage advice. The VI is not for everyone. Its been fine for me up until now, but I am ready to go back to the states. There is much to be said for life in the United States. I would echo CrickMonster's advice to come down and explore (be very careful) before you move. Life here is very different. Many find that it is not to there liking. Others, particularly the ex-pat types find nervana. Me, I gotta get out of here. As for which island: all three are very different. I would dissagree that St. Croix is the worst. Statistically, St. Thomas is worse. St. Thomas is better blended, but very expensive. St. John, by in large, is a park. If you're in the resorts, its great. If you get out about the town, you'll probably wish you were in St. Thomas or St. Croix. St. Croix is the most affordable- at least it used to be.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 13,079 times
Default hey firends

me and my friend are planning to move to the virgin islands, does any one know of job openings or a good place to stay on st johns? and does any one live out in the jungle there?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 PM

Are you talking about St. JOHN (no 's') in the U.S. Virgin Islands?

You've picked the most expensive of the islands, albeit the loveliest...but no, no one lives in the jungle, because the jungle is a national park donated by Rockefeller...

Mookster, you're confused...there are no jungles...there's a so-called Rain Forest on St. Croix, but that mostly has to do with climate.

There are a number of good places to stay on St. John. How deep is your wallet?

Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM

310 posts, read 1,180,748 times
Having been there many times the only island I would return to, to vacation and live is St. John. I love how small it is, love how I can do many different activities that won't destroy the environment, and everything I need is there, shopping, restaurants, chartered trips, etc.

Locals were very kind and helpful and I have felt no resentment in the 10 or so trips there. I have heard that the locals don't like people from certain areas of the country such as Californians and people from the east coast. But also heard they love people from the midwest since in general they are more polite and less uptight.

And the person who said it was unbearably hot?! Please, the breeze off the ocean is great and the afternoon squalls are refreshing but its nowhere near as hot as Texas. And don't even get me started on that ****hole called Houston, that city has disgusting weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories