U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,682,459 times

Advertisements

Annie, it's getting to where I burst into tears when I read our local newspapers. Children being killed, the hospital is struggling to afford to care for people, our power bills just get worse and worse and worse, and just today I read that American Airlines is going to cut us to just one flight in and out to Miami daily. The St. Croix crime blotter is growing daily.

It sure is a beautiful island and I'm going to miss so many of the really warm and caring people. Unfortunately, many of our close friends have left or are leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM

7 posts, read 63,230 times
Islands have their problems. No doubt.
Small economies subject to boom and bust, lack of resources, lack of inexpensive energy, small pool of leadership, insular culture, and every crime feels like it is right around the corner -because it is, more awareness of racism because you haven't isolated yourself in a suburb.

You have to be passionate about something to live on an island. Diving instead of drinking, helps. Living a simpler life, rather than a pampered one. Ability to work in less than ideal jobs because you want to wake up in a rainforest, or overlooking the ocean. Ability to make friends. Love of the ocean.

There's also nothing wrong with chasing that dream for a few years, until you are ready for the next dream.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM

17 posts, read 76,728 times
Nicely stated sundayonstx! Follow your dreams!

Passion for living on our beautiful island. We came for the weather! Can't be beat, to me always summer and one wardrobe

I did find work here before moving so that helped. Pay was less, but again living on the beautiful island> Enjoy awesome snorkeling, great diving, beautiful beaches, incredible boating, lots of other islands to visit and wonderful land based activities and cultural events throughout the year.

We live on the east end and love it, close to friends, our activities and do travel west and north to enjoy events and friends there also.

Last edited by stxer; 09-25-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,682,459 times
There are so many wonderful islands to choose from...STX, once a great choice, is not a smart pick any longer.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 AM

69 posts, read 139,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
It is sad for me to hear about St. Croix. I lived and worked there for a few years and I absolutely loved it.
St. Croix is still loved by many who are staying and even those who are going.

Yes, the crime is up, yes the electricity rates are going up again (19.8%) as of October 1, BUT there is a feeling of optimism that St. Croix will come through this and be better. It may take a while and there will be growing pains, BUT I personally think that things will stabilize and st. Croix will return to a modicum of normal.

There is a great underground farming movement, more people are homeschooling(I know as I do and have seen an increase in our numbers), there are actually more day time fun events, people are becoming simpler (out of necessity) and I feel that the community is coming together.

There are jobs here. Yes they are hard to find, but there are jobs I know of people who are moving here for the jobs, I have been offered jobs, my friends have been offered jobs. Yes, it is hard to find them, yes some businesses are closing - but not all of that is attributed to HOVENSA, some of it is the economy in general worldwide.

Will everyone love St. Croix and be able to stay here, no. Will everyone want to stay? no. Will people leave for various reasons? Yes. If you come will it be totally different from what you know - YUP, will you make some great friends? Definitely. WIll you fel out of place for a while? Probably - most people do.

If you do decided to come to St. Croix, just remember we are a US territory but we are different.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 63,230 times
Hilodiver makes a good point: there ARE other islands. But...none that are US territory and within 6 hours by air to half the US, and with airfare under $500. This is a BIG reason statesiders seek out STX especially those east of the Rockies. And if more did it would be a better place.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,365 times
We are considering moving to St. Croix when we retire at 60 yrs. old. My husband and I love the outdoors and have read all the posts and know the advantages and disadvantages of moving to the islands. I noticed that the last post is several years old and wondered if anyone is still "out there" reading/writing posts about the economy, etc. of the VI. Can someone tell me about the price of moderate real estate on St. Croix in a safe area (2 bedrooms/2 baths) and, also, about the current crime situation? Whatever information you can give me would be appreciated.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 AM

7 posts, read 8,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenneseehome View Post
We are considering moving to St. Croix when we retire at 60 yrs. old. My husband and I love the outdoors and have read all the posts and know the advantages and disadvantages of moving to the islands. I noticed that the last post is several years old and wondered if anyone is still "out there" reading/writing posts about the economy, etc. of the VI. Can someone tell me about the price of moderate real estate on St. Croix in a safe area (2 bedrooms/2 baths) and, also, about the current crime situation? Whatever information you can give me would be appreciated.
Yes, I can help you. Send me an email to: vshankins@yahoo.com. Have a great day!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,666,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenneseehome View Post
Nothing has changed much in the last couple of years other than the closing of the Hess refinery which has further depressed housing prices. If you've not already done so I'd highly recommend you go to the VI Moving Center site and first go through the huge amount of general information you'll find on drop-down menus top of the page before going onto the forum (which right now is primarily contributed to by STX residents). Housing prices vary widely depending on location and your best bet would be to visit and work with a licensed real estate agent who can show you what's available and where. They all have websites so you can see online the range of pricing. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 PM

300 posts, read 361,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Nothing has changed much in the last couple of years other than the closing of the Hess refinery which has further depressed housing prices. If you've not already done so I'd highly recommend you go to the VI Moving Center site and first go through the huge amount of general information you'll find on drop-down menus top of the page before going onto the forum (which right now is primarily contributed to by STX residents). Housing prices vary widely depending on location and your best bet would be to visit and work with a licensed real estate agent who can show you what's available and where. They all have websites so you can see online the range of pricing. Good luck!
STT Resident, have you visited STX lately? Which ereas did you see? Did you notice all the vacant shops in C-Sted? All the For Rent signs psoted all aver the island? Schools closing?

Don't be fooled the Hovensa closure has taken a big toll on the local way of life. Which in the case of the above poster who has a fixed income maybe a good thing. For $2K permonth you can probaly find a decent family home in a nice hood. For $1.5K you can get a very nice condo 2.2 condo with pool and all the extras. Entertainemnt is cheep becasue there isn't much to do that requires dropping $$--unless you by a boat. Food/electricity/gas may cost more depending upon what you're accustomed to. Figure in air tickets 2x per year to visit family .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories