Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 12:24 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times

Advertisements

Cost of living in Guam is 4% cheaper than Hawaii. It depends what you want. Hawaii has more people, more jobs and places to buy, it's busier. I think Guam has a population of 169,000 (maybe a little more) Hawaii has 1.5 million residents.

I will take the less crowded Guam unless they offer me a nice job in Hawaii which is the reason most people move to places. The only thing that worries me are tsunamis. 80% of the world's tsunamis happen in Pacific Ocean. The island of Tonga just had one. Tsunamis in Guam are low but still with the earth changing is like living in the Caribbean islands during hurricane season. You take a risk, other islands more than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUGBtp7jHKc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 04:08 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Cost of living in Guam is 4% cheaper than Hawaii. It depends what you want. Hawaii has more people, more jobs and places to buy, it's busier. I think Guam has a population of 169,000 (maybe a little more) Hawaii has 1.5 million residents.

I will take the less crowded Guam unless they offer me a nice job in Hawaii which is the reason most people move to places. The only thing that worries me are tsunamis. 80% of the world's tsunamis happen in Pacific Ocean. The island of Tonga just had one. Tsunamis in Guam are low but still with the earth changing is like living in the Caribbean islands during hurricane season. You take a risk, other islands more than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUGBtp7jHKc

Guam is surrounded by reefs and has many hilly locations very close to a beach. I'm not an oceanographer but I feel like that would mitigate the risk and increase your safety

Last edited by drinkthekoolaid; 02-15-2022 at 04:32 AM..

Old 02-15-2022, 09:47 AM

Maybe so although this idea has been refuted by some geophysicists. Guam like many small islands in the Pacific in the middle of nowhere are subject to typhoons, tropical storms, earthquakes and landslides. Without the U.S. military in the island, Guam would be on their own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guam#/...magnified).svg

Old 03-10-2022, 01:52 PM

817 posts, read 626,327 times
They don't tolerate degenerate tourists in Guam lol

Old 04-30-2022, 02:33 AM

My gf and I are planning a trip to Hawaii and Guam in July. She has family in Hawaii she hasn't seen in a while (she's of Japanese descent) and I've never been outside of the mainland US so it's gonna be tons of fun. Does anyone know how hot it gets in Guam during july? I've been reading about summers on the island being "unbearable" to some people but hot weather usually never bothers me.

Old 04-30-2022, 09:29 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
It's not the heat, it's the humidity. July is the rainy season. When I was there we had many 95/95 (95 degrees/95% humidity) days. As long as you are near the ocean, it's not too bad, but inland it's really oppressive. I usually ended up taking three showers a day.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:33 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
joininvegas is right. I've been to Guam in July and it was rough. I stayed near the water, too. I dealt with it, but it was very uncomfortable.

Why are you going to Guam, NearFantastica? Do you have family there? Is this a layover stop for you? Just curious is all as I don't see many Americans vacationing in Guam unless they are visiting family.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
joininvegas is right. I've been to Guam in July and it was rough. I stayed near the water, too. I dealt with it, but it was very uncomfortable.

Why are you going to Guam, NearFantastica? Do you have family there? Is this a layover stop for you? Just curious is all as I don't see many Americans vacationing in Guam unless they are visiting family.
I have no family in Guam, just my gf's family in Hawaii. I've always wanted to visit Guam or CNMI since it's a part of America but close enough to Asia to have that 'exotic island' experience with the less expensive price tag of Hawaii. I'm wondering if CNMI might be a better choice since it's less touristy than Guam though. Our itinerary is 1 week in Hawaii to visit gf's family, 1 week in Guam or CNMI for a romantic couple vacation. We want to do it one go in July, definitely during a summer month.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:05 PM

I was in Adak, Alaska and Iceland with the P-3 Orion Navy Squadrons some people like to live there after their military duty if they had jobs with military contracts as a civilian so living in Guam is not out of the question for some. At least it's better weather and a nicer culture.

If I want to be left alone and don't want people to find me, Guam is an option. It's an adventure. If you are into it, go for it!

Old 05-19-2022, 06:28 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
This thread is kinda old,but this is just my observation.

If you want to live somewhere more similar to the U.S Mainland,such as in Housing Styles,Neighborhoods,Stores,Restaurants,Cooler Weather and Cheaper flights to the Mainland then you'll enjoy Hawaii.

Guam is Smaller,Less Crowded,Hotter with Warmer Ocean Temperatures,Less Expensive,but closer to Asia and Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories