Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 AM

19 posts, read 147,649 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am faced with the unique decision of moving to Guam or Hawaii. The job and pay are the same. The island of Maui is where I would be in HI. It looks to me like Maui is more for tourist and Guam seams to be a better place to live. Having been to neither place, I welcome all opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:21 AM

19 posts, read 147,649 times

Old 12-10-2008, 11:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,776 times

Old 12-10-2008, 12:06 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,008 times
Guam is the type of place where you'll either go to school, or you'll drink/party the entire time that you're there. UMUC classes are held on COMNAVMAR and Anderson AFB so there's a potential to get a degree started if you're into that. PROS:The scuba diving there is phenomenal and cheap if you're into that sort of stuff. You shouldn't bring a new car to the island because the streets are pretty rugged. There's always a party, clubs don't close until 4 and sometimes later. A good place to save money a be a beach bum. The scenery on the southern part of the island is phenomenal and you'll probably see nothing else like it. CONS: There's no mass transportation so YOU NEED a car to get around the island. Typhoons hit once a year, but they don't seem to cause much damage. The shopping malls are non existent; there's Guam Premium Outlet and Micronesia Mall. Then only big box stores on the island is Macy's and Kmart. SUMMARY: If you're single I would choose Guam, but if you're married I would choose Maui (I was stationed on Pearl Harbor so I can't say anything about Maui.)

Last edited by Takes1 2 Know1; 12-10-2008 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,346 times
Post this on the hawaii forum, see what they say.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
I've never been to Hawaii, but I've been to Guam. My family members who have been to both many times and even lived in both prefer Guam, but they have a bias from being raised there. The shopping is limited in Guam, as brought out. I think some of my family members go to Hawaii or the Philippines for big shopping trips.
Weather and tropical terrain is supposedly not that different from Hawaii. When I was in Guam it was definitely beautiful, but probably not more so than Hawaii. They do get typhoons, but my family there has always been okay.
Chamorro culture has influence from the Spanish. Between the Island + Spanish culture, family is super important.
That's all I know...it's been a long time since I've been there, haha.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:08 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
Choose the place that filmed an Elvis Presley movie back in the 1960s.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:02 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,190 times
I just vacationed in Oahu back in early November for the second time and loved it. When I was stationed in Alaska back in the mid-90's I was sent to Guam for a special assignment that last 4 months and I also enjoyed the island. I've said in previous posts that I'm looking to relocate to Hawaii but I wouldn't mind moving to Guam either. The weather there was unbelievably good there, and since I love to run I couldn't think of a better place. Now as for jobs there, that's what I'm not too sure about. I know there are dentists on the island but I'm not sure how many are hiring and what the going rate is for a dentist relocating from the mainland. I'm not sure what other industries are there either so I can't really give any advice about jobs there but I know they do exist. From what others have told me Oahu is very expensive so maybe Guam is a better choice.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
I've lived on both Guam and Hawaii. And...I used to work for a dentist on Oahu, believe it or not. Anyway, I had a better experience on Guam to tell you the truth. I liked Guam a whole lot more. Hawaii was OKAY. I think it just depends on the sort of lifestyle you want and if you're okay in doing without certain things.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 68,171 times
I am from Guam. Definitely, now is the best chance to move since the economy in the mainland suffers. But, if your 2nd language is spanish, you probably won't go far in searching for a local hospitality jobs that the most speaking language here in that industry is Japanese. Like what I am doing, I am a real estate agent and the houses here are much cheaper compare to that of States of Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories