Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times

Advertisements

I was in Guam for 4 months back in the mid-90's while in the Air Force. The island was beautiful and I thought the locals there were very nice. How are the jobs there? I'm a 34 y.o. single dentist currently living in PA looking to possibly relocate to either Guam or Hawaii within the next 4-5 years. I know there are dentists on Guam but I'm uncertain about who's hiring and what the salary would be like. Plus, I'm not sure what I have to do about gaining a dental license to work there. My license right now will take me to 40 different states so I don't see a problem in that regards but I'm wondering how to go about it. Maybe I should call the Dept. of Health and find out. Anyone have suggestions for a dentist willing to relocate to Guam. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I haven't been to Guam (which is a US territory) nor Hawaii (which is a US State.)

Territories have their own licensing requirements and, although they follow basic Federal guidelines, they do maintain their individual quirks. A few years ago I met a soon-to-be-retired dentist from NYC.

With huge family ties here, he had sold his NYC practice, was all set to retire here and had bought a condo here but just wanted to keep his hand in, as it were, and offer his services on a part-time basis at the local hospital to assist in the care of patients who had dental problems.

I listened and then told him that, although I wished him the best of luck, I didn't think that - even though he was basically a "bahn-here" and with all his family connections - he would have an easy time working with the current government.

Just a couple of months later he came into my place again for dinner and of course I asked him, "So how did it go? Are you into that dental clinic?"

He shook his head. "You were right." he said.

"I presented those ASSES with all my credentials and they just put me through so many hoops and were demanding more and more and more to such an extent that I finally just gave up. I wanted to give back to the community. Couldn't do it and I'm now retired, period."

I think your thought about contacting the Department of Health in Guam is a first good move. Of course you should also research whether or not your services are actually required on Guam and what the job market can bear where your specialty is concerned. Same for Hawaii.

Best you make a PMV (pre*move visit) for a few weeks before you embark on any big relocation to what is essentially foreign territory. Hope I've helped just a bit. Cheers!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Great information, thanks for the quick reply. Yea sometimes when moving to a different state or terriotory it can be quite hard to get all the requirements together to acquire a license, and it's ashame too because it sounds like this dentist just wanted to stay busy and work a few hours a week and give back to the community. I've encountered that before where some places around this country really need dentists but don't make it easy for them to practice there when it comes to filling out the paperwork. I wouldn't mind talking to that other dentist and getting his prospective on the whole ordeal. If you happen to see him again ask him if he's willing to talk and maybe I'll give him a call sometime. Thanks for all the information you provided.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 13,178 times
Beautiful island, generous and such hospitality from the locals. They appreciate everyone they come in contact with. You'll see! Great food also! No one there is hungry! One howlie homeless guy I saw there is quite healthy! He always has a drink and something to eat from the locals!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times
What is Howlie? Do you mean haole? (the Hawaiian word?) Just curious.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 9,976 times
In response to you considering Guam as your future Destination, and possibility for practicing Dentistry, I have heard good things about "Paradise Smiles" which is located in an area called "Tamuning". They have several Dentist in the office, so maybe you might look them up online and maybe one of them would't mind pointing you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM

Hey outinguam, thanks for the post, I'll definitely write that name down and look into it.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,763 times
hello did you ever get a dental license from guam?
what involoved in geting a dental license?
i am also interested in guam . now i am in califonia DDS in a a bankrupted state trying to relocate. ;(

Old 06-12-2011, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,951 times
I am from Guam and have been working in a former HMO now insurance owned Dental Practice for the last 25 years. If you have interest in coming to Guam, I can assist you in providing you the information you will need. Contact me for more information.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,679 times
Default Periodontist in Guam

I am a periodontist looking to move to Guam and start a practice over there. Can any current dentist in Guam tell me if there is a need for a periodontist and how to go about obtaining a Guam dental license? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories