U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:20 PM

177 posts, read 883,210 times

Advertisements

I hit some legal complications and can't bring my car to PR with me as planned. This means that I will be without a car for four to five weeks. Does anyone know an inexpensive car rental company in the metro area that I could use for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:30 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,777,457 times
Unhappy Check With Your Insurance Company!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
I hit some legal complications and can't bring my car to PR with me as planned. This means that I will be without a car for four to five weeks. Does anyone know an inexpensive car rental company in the metro area that I could use for that.
Renting a vehicle for more than two weeks may not be covered by your vehicle car insurance company......it appears that somewhere in some policies is a time limit for how long some insurance companies will cover your insurance while in a rented car...for some it is as little as two weeks......for others up to a max of 30 days......and of course you only find out after you call them up to report an incident......

Some credit cards offer free coverage......but that only takes effect after you have exhausted your own vehicle insurance...

Old 12-27-2008, 10:24 AM

19,597 posts, read 20,381,759 times
I used to rent cars at the airport in San Juan for 3 weeks at a time with no problem. Just had to let them know the return date. Probably best to contact a car rental agency.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,777,457 times
Cool Car Rental Company???

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I used to rent cars at the airport in San Juan for 3 weeks at a time with no problem. Just had to let them know the return date. Probably best to contact a car rental agency.
The only thing the car rental company cares about is getting paid...either from your insurance company or you......the last time I rented a vehicle was in Hawaii......6 months ago...from a major chain...and since I don't take their optional insurance...when I returned the vehicle they did a fine tooth inspection...looking for scratches/dents/dings/etc......explaining to me that they now charge the renter for the repair......and since each ding is considered a separate incident...guess who pays for the repairs......

My insurance company will only pay for damages to a rental vehicle for two weeks while on vacation and or away from home...my credit card will pay for damages for 30 days...but either way...it's a ***** to find out your not covered after the crash......Of course...you could always take the rental car company's optional insurance coverage...$$$$$...and just not worrry about anything but paying......

and yes there are some out there that will pay for 30 days...

Old 12-31-2008, 10:47 AM

177 posts, read 883,210 times
I rented a car for a week and got ripped off by Enterprise. The price is ridiculous! I did take the optional insurance since driving in PR is a bit unpredictable.

Finally, I shipped my car yesterday and it should be in PR in a week or so. Now to pay the import tax

Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 15,163 times
Yep, Enterprise are crooks, and they have a bad reputation. Next time you may want to try Hotwire, usually much better rates, you usually get a car from Avis or Hertz.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,712,902 times
I looked into shipping my car from the states to Puerto Rico once and the price was beyond belief. You must have lots of pride in that car, I'd think it'll be better to just sell and buy in the island...

Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 PM

4,919 posts, read 20,423,799 times
All major rental car companies rent for more than 30 days, but you don't rent these through their regular on-line systems. There are usually special toll free numbers that you call and they make the arrangements. Just do a search for long-term car rentals and you'll go direct to their websites for long term services. Most ofthe thrird party services (Orbitz, priceline, etc) don't have access to 30+ day rentals unless the regular rental center can offer 30 day monthly rentals.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM

241 posts, read 955,961 times
Isn't it better to just get a lease?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 PM

56 posts, read 124,272 times
Today in San Juan I saw a green modified mustang with ALASKA license plates. yeah, a car with license plate from alaska in PR. from coldest us state to hottest US state(f-u)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories