Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,407 times

Advertisements

and I have some general questions. I did a search for the questions I have, but nothing popped up. I hope this isn't another of those totally redundant threads. I apologize in advance if it is.

We've been to St. Thomas twice before, but the stays were shorter. I have a very general idea of the geography. We will be near Frenchman's Cove.

I'm looking for grocery and general shopping stores. No more eating out for every meal.

Any Natural Food store?

Book stores?

What to do with any health related issues?

Thanks for any input and suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 11:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
The two best places for shopping are Cost U Less and Plaza Xtra. CUL is a warehouse store located in Market Square East off the Weymouth Rhymer Highway and has a huge selection of everything you need, along with a good meat department and very good produce department, huge liquor selection and good prices, Plaza Xtra is in the Tutu Park Shopping Mall where the big KMart is located. The Natural Food Grocery and Deli has two locations, one at Mandela Circle in the Havensight area and one at Sub-Base which is on the airport side of town. The best (only!) book store is Dockside Bookstore in the Havensight Mall. Health-related issues? Well, we have the Roy Lester Schneider Hospital but, unless it's an emergency, I'd recommend the Red Hook Family Practice which is located on the upper level of Red Hook Mall (across from the Red Hook ferry terminal.)

Think that just about does it for those questions! Cheers and enjoy your visit!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:23 PM

Many thanks, STT Res!! I've noticed your posts in the past and was hoping you'd drop by with local info.

I'm sure we will figure out more when we get there, but it's so much nicer to have some sort of idea before we land. We are looking forward to our stay. The water.....oh, the beautiful water! Last year we chartered a catamaran for two weeks out of Tortola. This year we'll spend more time on land.

Right now I'm looking at a few inches of blowing snow.....gusting winds of 40-60 mph...wind chills of -10 degrees. It's beautiful in its own way, but a break in the sun will be nice!

Happy New Year to you!!

Old 12-31-2008, 04:00 PM

Glad to be of help. Just to get your thoughts buoyed and take you away just for a moment from that dreadful weather you're having (maybe it's "beautiful in its own way" but I never miss it for a moment!) the weather is simply perfect here right now! I spent several hours at Magens Bay today*lapping up the sun, swimming and reading, watching mongooses play in the bush and listening to the breeze wafting through the palms. Heaven! It's all waiting for you. Stop by The Toad and Tart (Toad and Tart - Homepage) if you get a chance while you're here and say hello. Cheers and Happy New Year to you and yours too (I'll be well*asleep by the time it gets here.)

Old 12-31-2008, 04:33 PM

OMG! You have Shepard's Pie!! My SO is looking at the page now. It's his favorite! We are sooooo there! Bangers and mash......OK!!!!!!!!!! What the h-e-double toothpicks. Since moving to the Poconos I've gained a ton of weight. What's one more banger?

I just said to him, "I'm gonna respond to STT. Anything you want to say?" His reply, "Are you hiring dishwashers?!!?"

So, you're gonna be asleep rather than ringin' in the new year? What? Not gonna hop the ferry to Foxy's? I can't imagine what it must be like over there tonight. I hear you can walk from boat to boat to get ashore. Too much flash for me. My son-in-law was wandering around the bar there last January. When he appeared, I asked where he was hangin'. He said he was just back there talking to George. Then he told some interesting stories as per George. Guess he was chattin' with Foxy while he worked on his lobster traps.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 PM

I'm WAY too old for Foxy's and it's just not the same as it used to be when it was so much smaller. Was there a couple of decades ago for New Year's and it was so much fun but I'd rather remember it the way it was. Foxy's daughter has a place over there now too but can't remember the name of it - she's over here a lot and stops in from time to time to have a gab. Who knows I may just be awake enough to take a quick look at the goings-on in NYC and watch everybody freezing! Enjoy your snow! Cheers!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 PM

11 posts, read 41,427 times
Plaza Extra is good. And don't forget K-Mart......

Old 02-03-2009, 03:58 PM

Thanks, Bob, covered both in my post of 12/31 but it never hurts to repeat!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:20 PM

345 posts, read 1,277,138 times
Cost U less and next to that would be plaza extra, dont go to the pueblos, i dont see how they can keep their food good when its 90 degrees in the stores. I used to spend all day going from the opposite end of St. john to Cost U less on St. Thomas.

Agreed, red hook family practice. Thats where i went and thats where my family still goes

And yeah that bookstore in havensight. But if youre on St. John they have a little bookstore/coffeeshop at starfigh market behind cruz bay. They have lots of local authors with signed books and local painters. The books with the messages signed in them make great gifts.

As for the weather i have you all beat! Where i'm last week it didnt get over -40 for a month... Now i'm really thinking of going to see mom and dad and the rest of the family for spring on St. Thomas lol

Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Just a quick epilogue....

We arrived home late last night to moderate temps....27 degrees.
The sun is shining today, and I am charmed by all the various shades of brown and green. It's so nice to be home, and........well.......ahhh....who the hell am I kidding!!??!!

I miss the bougainvillea! I miss the oleander!! I miss the iguanas and the geckos!!! I miss that aqua blue water!!!! I miss the 80 degrees with the soft winds!!!!!

OK. Now that's outta my system. Actually, home is pretty nice too. There's next year to plan. There is a large house...out on the east end.....and maybe......

Sending a special, "Hello!" to STT Resident and Adam. Thanks for the lovely dinners, the great local ambiance of your restaurant, and all the info and suggestions you provided. Give the kitties a pat for me! See ya in about 330 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories