Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 AM

32 posts, read 106,128 times

Advertisements

Why UPR? (Translated Version)

Translated version of http://estudiantes.upr.edu/nuevos/index.php

What Can I Study? (Translated Version)

Translated version of http://estudiantes.upr.edu/admisiones/carreras/index.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,417 times
Thanks for all your responses everyone, I have researched the academics of the university online I was more wondering about living on the STX for a semester, I keep getting different accounts ranging from a third world war zone rife with crime to a tropical paradise. I was mostly wondering about Christiansted and what that town was like as well as whether its hard to fit in as a mainlander thanks in advance

Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Not at all difficult to fit in. Sending you a private message with some links which will help.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfriedman17 View Post
Thanks for all your responses everyone, I have researched the academics of the university online I was more wondering about living on the STX for a semester, I keep getting different accounts ranging from a third world war zone rife with crime to a tropical paradise. I was mostly wondering about Christiansted and what that town was like as well as whether its hard to fit in as a mainlander thanks in advance
If you refer to Puerto Rico as a third world war zone, you must know that the Homicides per Capita here are around 20 (20 homicides for every 100,000 residents on a year)(Puerto Rico population is 4,000,000), and I just found that in the US Virgin Islands, homicides per capita are around 40 (40 homicides for every 100,000 residents on a year).

Source: The Virgin Islands Daily News - A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper (http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article?id=17619494 - broken link)

USVI population (109,840 on 2008) fits 36 times in Puerto Rico population (3,954,037 on 2008), and if you multiply the homicides in USVI by the times it fits PR population (42 x 36) the result is 1,512 homicides, and Puerto Rico homicides in 2008 was 806. So, which territory is more safe?

Last edited by alexis91; 01-06-2009 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 AM

177 posts, read 958,894 times
Well, it is difficult to say specifically which university to choose, as it depends on the interests of the person. Here is the information about all universities in Puerto Rico:

Latest University Rankings: UNIVERSITIES LIST BY STATE

I do believe that UoPR is a much bigger university, hence it is likely to offer more to the student.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
Well, it is difficult to say specifically which university to choose, as it depends on the interests of the person. Here is the information about all universities in Puerto Rico:

Latest University Rankings: UNIVERSITIES LIST BY STATE

I do believe that UoPR is a much bigger university, hence it is likely to offer more to the student.
Oh please, InNeedOfAnswers! For a brief moment there I thought you had first-hand experience of both UPR and UVI but after going through your several posts on this forum it seems to be not so and your opinion is based solely on what? That UPR seems to be a bigger university and thus is "likely to offer more to the student?"

It seems you've made plans to move to PR but are not yet there, have already formed general opinions from information garnered from the internet along with a couple of visits.

When you speak from what you know first-hand then, and only then, can you opine. You assume much, which is why I asked you in a previous post to express your opinions to the OP based on your knowledge of UVI versus UPR, a question which you conveniently ignored. Obviously your opinions are garnered solely from internet sources and you have no direct knowledge of the attributes of either UPR or UVI.

You also appear to have no real idea about living in PR even though you plan to move there in short shrift. You've obviously done a lot of research and have formed several opinions about living there, about the political situation, the crime rate - DOH!

It's a wise man who assumes nothing but who treads a cautious path in a new adventure in a new environment and speaks not of what he thinks he knows but what he knows after living it.

The OP asked simple questions and, frankly, you've responded to him in very silly and obtuse terms with no merit whatsoever. Sorry, you just really got me goat! Takes me a while to get riled up but you did it! Cheers!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM

I don't know about UVI, but I know about UPR because I am puertorrican and I live in Puerto Rico. All the documents, books, etc.. are in english, but the professors teach in spanish. And I think more than 95% of professors must know English very well. I would like to know more about the University of Virgin Islands, because the thread is about it and practically there is too few info on it, except that there are two campus, STT and STX.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM

alexis91: a good post and, as I pointed out earlier, information on both UVI and UPR is readily available on the internet but, as with all such information, specifics can be obtained from the institutions themselves via direct contact. Cheers!

Old 01-07-2009, 05:46 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
Yes, in theory all lectures at the university level should be given in English. The background communication (such as university paperwork, etc.) is done mostly in Spanish. Coming from the USA you should have less trouble getting into UoPR. UoPR is also a US accredited university, which means that you will be able to carry your credits elsewhere you choose to go. There are two main campuses, one in Mayaguez and another in Rio Piedras. Although there is much overlap, one offers more of the engineering core and the other medical core.

In theory? Should be?

were you getting your information from research or from having taken actual courses at UPR?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM

177 posts, read 958,894 times
lets just say that this is from a reliable source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories