U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:57 PM

24,671 posts, read 60,678,878 times

Advertisements

That response is so lame, InNeedOfAnswers. A reliable source? You never mentioned any "reliable source" when you posted in response to the OP's original request and continued to post spurious information. Basic challenges to date as to your expertise have never been answered by you.

The bottom line is that you have no first hand knowledge of either UPR or UVI, and you are planning a move to PR to take on a teaching position. You have visited PR a couple of times and have already decided what needs to be "fixed" where general life in PR is concerned. Go for it! Aaaergh!

Good luck, young man! I wish you well! Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 AM

177 posts, read 883,327 times
STT Resident, sorry that I have made you upset. I explained why I would choose UoPR, but also did say that it is an individual choice and can't tell the person asking the question where they should go as there was not much information in the original post. Choosing a university should be based first on the quality of the program, second the opportunities that are available for students, and then on the location. I don't know what interests the poster has, so it is true that UoVI may have programs that are not offered at UoPR, and vice versa. My opinion is made based on the fact that usually larger universities have a wider spectrum courses to offer, etc.

In regard to your statement that I know what needs to be fixed is a complete misconception of my posts on this forum. I never claimed what needs to be fixed, as I don't know what is broken. I agree that I have posted my observations, but never claimed that these are in any way accurate. My understanding is that people can express on these forums exactly that.

I am not going to give you all of my credentials, but I have been in academia for a long time now. I traveled to many countries, and have lived in a number of places. This experience gives me some basic understanding of how things operate. I always have respect for the people who live in the places where I travel, and same will apply to PR.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:35 AM

5 posts, read 10,696 times
Thanks for all your responses, If I do attend this university I will definatly want to travel to as many carribean destinations as I can whats the cheaperst and or easiet way to get of off ST Croix ? Thanks in advance

Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,678,878 times
From STT it's only a 10 minute ferry ride to St John and there are frequent ferries to the British Virgin Islands which are about a 45 minute ferry ride. There are also day sails and charters going between STT/STJ and the BVI. St Croix is more isolated but there are regular seaplane flights between it and STT and also a ferry which runs between the two but not all the time. Otherwise from both STT and STX there are regular flights down island (don't forget you will need a passport.) Hope that helps.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:49 PM

345 posts, read 1,155,373 times
I attended UVI, they don't offer much unless you are into marine biology. Other than that its kind of like a community college. I had a great experience there none the less.

The only problem is transferring to another college. Extremely difficult like everything else.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM

301 posts, read 725,327 times
Bumping this.

I'm curious if the Op ever actually went to UVI, especially since they were considering French as a major (which is one of my majors. I'm doubling in French/Theatre).

I've googled and while school websites are official and nice... it's also good to have the 'unofficial' real information.

I personally don't have any interest in Puerto Rico because I haven't taken Spanish since seventh grade. Thought I would mention that since a lot of the info on this thread suggests PR.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM

8,870 posts, read 2,924,558 times
The UVI campus on St. Thomas is gorgeous, and being that it is a smaller university, it's more likely that you will receive more personal attention. I know a good number of people who attended the university and are now successful professionals.

It is, as mentioned, absolutely wonderful to have a number of islands closeby or even to have a campus with a beach. All the best to you in your decision.

ETA: Jus realized that this is an old thread! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories