Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,418 times

Advertisements

Hi I'am from upstate NY and I am trying to decide where I would like to study abroad for a semester. The University of the Virgin Islands has always intrigued me so I was wondering if anybody on this forum went there and could tell me about it. Also there are two campuses one on ST Thomas the other on ST. Croix which island would be recommended? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 AM

20 posts, read 84,843 times
I've never been to the one on STT but the one on STX is huge and looks very nice. I've debating about going there as well and have heard that the's school's alot better than it used to be.

What are you trying to major in?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 AM

I'm not to sure yet but I was thinking either French or History but I definitely want to take some classes in carribean studies What about you? and ya the more I read the more I like STX I really want to explore Christiansted that looks like a great town. I dont know how old you are but what is STX like for a university student? Thanks alot

Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 AM

20 posts, read 84,843 times
i was going to be going there for nursing but i've heard mixed reviews about the program. we actually have a condo down there (on stx) and try to visit often - but doesn't happen much. i'm under 30 and always have a good time there. i know alot of college students work at the restaurants but i don't know what rent would run for a place.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM

177 posts, read 959,025 times
how about University of Puerto Rico. It is a very good university.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
how about University of Puerto Rico. It is a very good university.

Do they teach in english?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM

Yes, in theory all lectures at the university level should be given in English. The background communication (such as university paperwork, etc.) is done mostly in Spanish. Coming from the USA you should have less trouble getting into UoPR. UoPR is also a US accredited university, which means that you will be able to carry your credits elsewhere you choose to go. There are two main campuses, one in Mayaguez and another in Rio Piedras. Although there is much overlap, one offers more of the engineering core and the other medical core.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Yes, in theory all lectures at the university level should be given in English. The background communication (such as university paperwork, etc.) is done mostly in Spanish. Coming from the USA you should have less trouble getting into UoPR. UoPR is also a US accredited university, which means that you will be able to carry your credits elsewhere you choose to go. There are two main campuses, one in Mayaguez and another in Rio Piedras. Although there is much overlap, one offers more of the engineering core and the other medical core.
Not sure what you mean when you say, "Coming from the USA you should have less trouble getting into UoPR." The University of the Virgin Islands is in the US Virgin Islands which is a US territory and has two campuses, one on St Thomas and one on St Croix.

It's accredited, and all classes and paperwork are conducted in English.

sfriedman17: I can't give you specifics on the curriculum but this is easily found online if you do a Google. It all depends on what you're looking for in terms of study. As far as living in the US Virgin Islands, I understand there are many students such as yourself here on both campuses and there's no reason why you shouldn't have a great time here on whichever campus suits you better. Cheers and good luck!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 AM

lol, indeed both Saints are US territory. I still would go with UoPR

Old 01-06-2009, 06:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
lol, indeed both Saints are US territory. I still would go with UoPR
Would probably help if you gave specifics as to why you would recommend UoPR over UVI. I can't offer a comparison since although I'm somewhat familiar with UVI I know nothing about UoPR. The OP would probably appreciate some input from someone such as yourself who's had experience of both. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories