U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering possible job promotion to St. Thomas Island, 7K monthly income, advice where to live, single women, live for less than 2K per month, close to tourist places

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM

737 posts, read 2,313,323 times

Advertisements

Not at all offended by the rant, STT. We actually put out buckets of water so when the Haitians come ashore, after enduring a long and dangerous trip, they will be able to get water to drink and some use it to wash while waiting for the vans. I have already been told by long-time residents that the influx of Haitians looking for a better way of life has not diminished very much over the last 30 years and continues to remain a low priority of those responsible for the immigrations - which, I have been told by police officers, is NOT their responsibility. It is the responsibility of INS and therefore, PD will not respond. I speculate that not enough money is directed at illegal immigration and frankly, many of the illegals use STX as a stopping point before moving to their final destination.

To clarify, we are NOT riddled with violent crime here. This is a safe and welcoming island, as is STT. There have been instances in the past, likely more will occur in the future, but I've said this before: these types of crimes happen everywhere. We knew the stats before moving here and it did not impact our decision. It is different here than in the States with regard to law enforcement - there is corruption - BUT that is viewed through a microscope on the islands versus state-side where it just doesn't make news. Crooked cops are everywhere, not just here.

Just letting the OP know where he stands if thinks he'll "make a difference" in/with local law enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,621,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Not at all offended by the rant, STT. We actually put out buckets of water so when the Haitians come ashore, after enduring a long and dangerous trip, they will be able to get water to drink and some use it to wash while waiting for the vans. I have already been told by long-time residents that the influx of Haitians looking for a better way of life has not diminished very much over the last 30 years and continues to remain a low priority of those responsible for the immigrations - which, I have been told by police officers, is NOT their responsibility. It is the responsibility of INS and therefore, PD will not respond. I speculate that not enough money is directed at illegal immigration and frankly, many of the illegals use STX as a stopping point before moving to their final destination.

To clarify, we are NOT riddled with violent crime here. This is a safe and welcoming island, as is STT. There have been instances in the past, likely more will occur in the future, but I've said this before: these types of crimes happen everywhere. We knew the stats before moving here and it did not impact our decision. It is different here than in the States with regard to law enforcement - there is corruption - BUT that is viewed through a microscope on the islands versus state-side where it just doesn't make news. Crooked cops are everywhere, not just here.

Just letting the OP know where he stands if thinks he'll "make a difference" in/with local law enforcement.
True that the PD isn't responsible for apprehending illegal immigrants and that it's the INS's responsibility but of course they do join forces when necessary. The immigrant problem has been thus for years and is unlikely to change when we have such a vast expanse of shoreline which can't possibly be monitored 24/7. And the illegal immigrants are simply trying to escape impoverishment and aren't exactly a threat to any of us. Our tax dollars are better spent on subduing/getting rid of the real criminals in our midst!

As far as the VIPD is concerned, I've had some HORRENDOUS experiences with them in all my years here but, on the other hand, have likewise had some WONDERFUL experiences with them. As you noted there are good and bad cops in every jurisdiction throughout the world and my main gripe is with such as induhvidual who jumps onto every post related to moving to and living in the USVI with nothing but general diatribes. Our transient society and the high attrition rate of newbies is never going to change and I have no problem when people give their opinion and say, "it wasn't a fit for me," but cockeyed negative generalizations do get me a little steamed...

I don't think the OP said anything about wanting to "make a difference" where his move/promotion is concerned. I know now and have known in the past several Feds who've come here with eyes wide open and who do/have work/worked here with their local counterparts very well. Some Feds don't fit in here as many other newbies don't! Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories