U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 16,153 times

Advertisements

WOW! I am just in shock at the comments on here! I'm samoan and I was born and raised in Pago Pago,AS. I have much pride to be born and raised in American Samoa. But how degrading it is to see a fellow samoan call the island their parents originated from "filthy" and "disgusting". Yes,American Samoa isn't quite the ideal fantasy island. But just as the previous post, if you're one to move or visit expecting the mainland look and life, then you're stay isn't going to be as pleasant as it should be. People born and raised in American Samoa don't have as much as those who are born and raised in the mainland. To complain about how much it cost for banana's and milk and etc...how is it any different to the economy in general anywhere in the world?! It's a hustle and people back in Am. Samoa are also trying to make a living too. To complain on the housings provided and whatnot, it's so much easier to complain and point out the negative rather than moving to Am. Samoa and make a difference and set your mark in history...samoan or not! And of course the government in Am. Samoa isn't quite what we all would like for it to be, but how is that any different with the politician issues in the mainland?! As a samoan who was born and raised in Am. Samoa, I am well aware of the issues still at hand concerning Am. Samoa, but how can anything get better in Am. Samoa, if samoans themselves keep degrading where their roots were originated from?! American Samoan or Western Samoa...point is,we are all Samoans just guided under different political views. My daughter is half samoan and I will proudly teach her the the samoan ways, the samoan culture, the language, and especially her roots! This is why "SOME" of these samoan these days born and raised in the mainland don't know how to act. I've met samoans born and raised in the US who looked down at me because I was born and raised in Am. Samoa. In specific,they said those born and raised back in Samoa(not Am. or Western) are "fresh off the boat". And both my parents are Samoan and raised me to be strong and independent. So here's to those who think very little of Samoa and the people born and raised in Samoa(American or Western). I will tell you the same thing I told them, while you're walking around the US acting a fool thinking you're better than us because you're behind wasn't "so-call" shipped out here off of a boat, either your mother or you father was. And while you walking around here thinking you're all that and much more compare to us because you're wearing all the brand names clothing and footwear, you still live at home with 8-15 people in your house too. While you're laughing at some samoans who can't speak english as well as you do because you were born in the US,you're the dumb one because english is our second language. At least we can take pride and say that we're samoans,can speak the language and know the culture!!! Also, some of you born in the US who laugh at samoans born in Samoa that can't speak english as well as you do,guess what?! Their english may not as be as well as yours,but most likely, their education level and progression is much higher than yours! And I am one of them! I am a samoan born and raised in Pago Pago, AS. I graduated from Fagaitua High School, graduated with my degree in college, and now working in a Financial Consulting Company as a Financial Advisor! I've always spoke english well because fortunately for me,my parents spoke both english and samoan to myself and my siblings. So in reply to the original subject of this entire post, maam, if you're going to move to Samoa to work at LBJ Medical Center for 2yrs. Your experience as a nurse and all the help you can provide,can make such a difference in Am. Samoa and the lives there. To all my fellow samoans,remember your roots and know that there is no such thing as a "mainland" samoan and a "fresh off the boat" samoan. We're all samoans...so be proud of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM

2,956 posts, read 4,339,364 times
Misty, Very well said, since my leaving of Am. Samoa I have met a number of Samoans who have never set eyes on their homeland, one thing I can say, it would do them allot of good to visit the the home of their ancestors. I was shocked to hear them put down Am.Samoa, saying it was backward and lost in time. If they only knew the truth about their culture, but sadly, they will most likely never take the time to visit.
I found my experience in Samoa, both Samoas, to be very rewarding, I forged life long friendships which still continue to this day.
One thing I find amazing, is allot of people I have talked to speak of Samoas as being uneducated, and backwards. Of course these people are speaking out of ignorance, Am. Samoa has the lowest high school drop out rate of any state or territory in the U.S. with the exception of Puerto Rico. I guess, just because a person honors their culture and roots, they are considered ignorant. The western culture could learn allot from the Samoan culture, ie., not abandoning their elderly and the importance of family. We could learn allot from the fa'a Samoa.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 16,153 times
Terry, it is very Sad to see such comments like the ones in here about Samoa. Some don't even have a slight idea of how some people back home have very little or absolutely nothing. Some don't even have a clue how hard it is growing up in Am. Samoa and have to come out here to the US to seek a successful life and gain knowledge to hope one day to move back home and help make Am. Samoa a better place for not just Samoans,but for tourist also visiting. But I've meant every word I said of being proud and taking so much pride being born and raised in Am. Samoa. The culture and lifestyle and disciplinary and respect I learned growing up back home,is why I look at some of people of other nationalities and feel sorry for them. As you've mentioned...abandoning their elderly and not acknowledging the importance of families. Also, the fa'asamoa culture is slowly fading away and becoming so modernize. I've been to some samoan functions here in the US to where I've seen a taupou do moves in her solo dance that I've never ever seen done before traditionally in a taupou siva.(???) It's so sad because many samoans are so busy trying to keep up with the latest fashion,trends,and lifestyle that it's causing the tradition and culture to fade and slip away.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 7,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoaumu View Post
you nailed it. american samoa is the worst place on the planet to live. i've been a lot of places, and this is just nuts.
WOW, I am samoan and Yes, everything you said is true..I don't know why MANY of the Samoans are sooo crookit in samoa. My parents and grandparents were very honest people and ALWAYS made decisions based on Right is right and Wrong is wrong..And like you said it's not what you know it's who you know and there lys the problem of people being in positions they shouldn't have and starts corruption.. People who haven't had any training and have never had power just DESTROY whatever their in charge of.. I wish things were different. I would love to go back to Samoa. But, I don't have anyone in any high positions so it would be hard for me to get ANY JOB at all over there. But, we still have our house back home and that's o.k because that's what takes me back.. Thank you for your honest truth and I'm happy you were soo honest because EVERYTHING you said was helpful information for anyone looking to take up a job in Pago Pago.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,275 times
wow! i am not really surprised to see such negativity from people about american samoa. what would really be sad is if those who had negative comments had any samoan descent. then their ignorance will surely prove the statement about samoa's failed education system. samoa is a beautiful place to visit. true, it is not perfect, and there isn't a super walmart at every block, but you can still find what you need at the small grocery stores. there is no tax in samoa, but that doesn't mean that everything is cheaper. mcdonald's, carl's jr, pizza hut, kfc are some of the fast food joints they have now, but just because it's there, doesn't mean that that's all you're gonna eat (who gains over 60lbs in a year anyway?). some people can't even afford to buy fast food in samoa and they live off the land. you'll often see people on the side of the road selling fruits like bananas, papaya, coconuts. this is their way of gaining income.very few people in samoa rent because many people own land, or live with relatives. It is different from living in the states, but people do rent. their government and education system is again not perfect and there is some questionable characters sometimes, but every government has its shady characters and samoa is not excluded. people do fasi (beat) their kids too. and maybe i don't seem surprised about this, but it's their culture to spank their kids. the samoan people are all about respect. respect for your parents and your family. to see a man hit his son is nothing out of the ordinary. jobs are scarce! i think it comes down to that saying "it's not what you know, but who you know", but if you have a medical background, i think you have a better chance of gaining employment. i know that alot of times if you get contracted as a nurse to go to samoa, that the agency you go through helps secure housing as well. i would strongly suggest a car, but that's just because i am not a bus person and the buses don't run after hours there. bugs are a nuisance, especially the mosquitos, but as long as you are prepared and have the necessary preventive tools, you can avoid the sores and scars. i went to visit family in october and my cousin's son was 6 and he didn't have any scars on his legs. so it is all about how you take care of yourself. living in samoa might be a little challenging in the begining because you might not have everything you are accustomed to, but a couple of years wouldn't hurt. you would be getting paid and experiencing something new, learning a new language if you have the patience, meeting new people, gaining work experience to add to your resume. i think it's awesome! and when you have time off, you can take a trip to western samoa where i hear it is really beautiful and you can double, almost triple the amount of your dollar! i plan on moving to samoa for a couple of years too. i love it there. it's really laid back, the people are friendly and it's so peaceful. the only think i plan on making mandatory when i get there is an airconditioner because it gets really hot there. well god bless you on your endeavors, and may he keep you safe on whatever path you choose.
alofa

Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,246 times
Talofa everyone. after reading some of your posted views of our Birth Place, it darned on me of how much hate there is casted on our beloved home of origin. can't say who's right or wrong. however,we can only be true to ourselves as well as we value our own thoughts to the best of our abilties. this is my place of birth for sixteen and a half years when I joined the USARMY to Retirement in 1995. even though I now reside in San Diego, CA. since then, American Samoa ( for good or bad ) is still value as the # 1 place on earth to my heart. with that been said, the only bad that that can become of this is not to do anything. with much love....

Old 10-25-2015, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,474 times
Wow mike-laauli, you basically just posted a rant without even answering the main question at all. I doubt you or your mother are Samoan. American Samoa is a beautiful place. The schools are great, the food is always fresh, and the medical system is great. I have been to pago pago numerous times, and you are a completely uneducated retard. Go troll somewhere else you dumbass!

Old 10-26-2015, 12:36 PM

19,574 posts, read 20,355,352 times
^^ Zombie thread, the poster has only 1 post and that was in 2008.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:49 PM

23 posts, read 44,018 times
Well, since there is already a post for American Samoa... why does this place get so overlooked? Samoa seems like such a lovely place from what little I've seen. Cheaper than Hawaii, and a little slice of the South Pacific you don't even need a passport for.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:54 PM

543 posts, read 522,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingsguard View Post
Well, since there is already a post for American Samoa... why does this place get so overlooked? Samoa seems like such a lovely place from what little I've seen. Cheaper than Hawaii, and a little slice of the South Pacific you don't even need a passport for.
That's what I've been saying. I guess the primary downfall is that it's so far away. I think it suffers from that in much the same way Guam does. I'm sure the infrastructure isn't the greatest either but that's not enough to turn me away.

A.S. is definitely on my bucket list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories