U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 24,709 times

Advertisements

WE are thinking about moving to ST. John. I have read all the horrors about living on St. Thomas, which when I land in St. Thomas I cannot get off that island fast enough. It is just plain creepy feeling to me. St. John is different. Much more laid back. Friendlier...I am sure it has its ups and downs too. Does anyone have insight? Relocation would be from the Great Lakes, northern Michigan region....where we have too much fresh water!.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,615,256 times
Sorry you have such negative feelings about St Thomas which has been my home for over 25 years now! Maybe your only experience of STT has been the taxi ride from the airport to the Red Hook ferry terminal en route to STJ?

That said, have you spent any time at all in the islands or have you just been here on vacation? The two are vastly disparate. One of the most important things you need to do is make a pre-move visit and spend a month here trying to live like a local rather than as a visitor. I'm sure you know that St John is the most expensive of all three (actually four now with the inclusion of Water Island!) to live on and if you're planning on working here, your opportunities for employment are going to be MUCH more limited than on either STX or STT. COL "sticker shock" is likely to be more of a thunderbolt coming from deepest darkest Northern Michigan and unless you have vast financial resources you'll likely do what most locals here do and find yourself working two or more jobs to make ends meet.

If you can't afford a PMV and want to just take your chances then make sure you have at least $10K to get set up. That will quickly be eaten up with first/last/security for a rental, an inexpensive island car/registration/insurance, general living expenses for a month until you can find employment, plus setup costs for cable or satellite TV, internet access, telephone service, etc. - and buy an open-ended return ticket so you can get off the rock if it doesn't work out. Travel light, and put your major possessions in storage until you discover whether island living is or is not for you. I hate to harp on it but island living simply isn't for everybody and thus we have such a high attrition rate of newbies.

Happy researching! Cheers!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 24,074 times
STT Resident: with that being said, if I were to purchase a home outright, wouldn't that make things much better? No need for a high paying job, etc.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,615,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rther View Post
STT Resident: with that being said, if I were to purchase a home outright, wouldn't that make things much better? No need for a high paying job, etc.
Have you checked out RE prices here? And you would certainly want to live here for at least six months and get to know your way around before deciding on where to live or even if island life would suit you. Even if you were fortunate enough to be able to buy a home outright, maintenance costs are very high. Cheers!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 22,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Sorry you have such negative feelings about St Thomas which has been my home for over 25 years now! Maybe your only experience of STT has been the taxi ride from the airport to the Red Hook ferry terminal en route to STJ?

That said, have you spent any time at all in the islands or have you just been here on vacation? The two are vastly disparate. One of the most important things you need to do is make a pre-move visit and spend a month here trying to live like a local rather than as a visitor. I'm sure you know that St John is the most expensive of all three (actually four now with the inclusion of Water Island!) to live on and if you're planning on working here, your opportunities for employment are going to be MUCH more limited than on either STX or STT. COL "sticker shock" is likely to be more of a thunderbolt coming from deepest darkest Northern Michigan and unless you have vast financial resources you'll likely do what most locals here do and find yourself working two or more jobs to make ends meet.

If you can't afford a PMV and want to just take your chances then make sure you have at least $10K to get set up. That will quickly be eaten up with first/last/security for a rental, an inexpensive island car/registration/insurance, general living expenses for a month until you can find employment, plus setup costs for cable or satellite TV, internet access, telephone service, etc. - and buy an open-ended return ticket so you can get off the rock if it doesn't work out. Travel light, and put your major possessions in storage until you discover whether island living is or is not for you. I hate to harp on it but island living simply isn't for everybody and thus we have such a high attrition rate of newbies.

Happy researching! Cheers!
Hi STT Resident.
My husband and I are probably moving to St. Thomas in a couple of months. Work is not a problem, since we are driven by an offer there for him and I telecommute.

Are the dangers of living St. Thomas blown out of proportion? We can do a pre-move visit, to be honest but I lived in the Dominican Republic and Panama growing up, lived in Croatia (Brac) and Spain. I've traveled extensively but am always curious to hear from the locals.

I don't scare easily but want to know more or less what to expect. Thak you!

Old 06-30-2012, 12:50 PM

83 posts, read 196,102 times
Top tip: Spend some time exploring STT before deciding on STJ. STJ only has one gas station & one decent grocery store, and while it has a lot to offer in the way of serenity & gorgeous beaches, there are a lot more amenities on STT. Also, house prices are way higher on STJ. Might want to rent for 6 months & see if it works out?

Hope it works out!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 PM

80 posts, read 382,611 times
Saint John is absolutely beautiful and if you are looking for true tranquility, you will love it. If need be, you can just ferry over to Saint Thomas, but escape from the hustle and bustle by returning to Saint John. I dislike Saint Thomas and love Saint John because of the secluded areas and unsurpassed tranquility and beauty. It's slower on Saint John and too busy for me in Saint Thomas. I felt safer in Saint John. I have been to both islands about 10 times throughout my life.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,646,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rther View Post
If you can afford to buy a house outright, you have no need for a job. PERIOD. High paying or otherwise. You are clearly a trust fund baby or something if that happens If you can buy a house outright anywhere it surely opens a multitude of doors to you. Be aware, though - you may need that high paying job just for your electric bill. It's my understanding that the ridiculous-5-years-ago rates have only increased further. I think in another thread someone mentioned the rates being approx. 4X what they are in the States? That alone would send me screaming into the night.

I love St. John, totally love it, but it has a downside for everyday living (other than the price of goods, which just made my eyes roll back in my head). Yes, you can get most of what you need - at a greatly inflated price. You don't have as many options on entertainment, and while the ocean is entertainment enough for a very long time you may eventually need more for just LIFE. Of course, the ferry is there and it's a quick ride, but I have a friend on STJ who goes to STT every week for grocery shopping, medication, etc. While that's cute and quaint for a while, it would certainly wear me out - starting about Week 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories