U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,033,517 times

Advertisements

After Christmas we were approached by our trash pickup persons and told that we were supposed to have given them money for Christmas. We did but wondered if that is truly the custom. Also, can anyone suggest a way to keep from having our garbage containers stolen. We can't afford to keep replacing them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:38 AM

1,772 posts, read 4,074,725 times
Yes it is custom, but I sure hope they weren't the ones who told you to do so. Big entitlement culture is a major crux of the Puerto Rican economic mindset, and it boils my veins.

As to trash cans getting stolen, nothing surprises me in the island. Just be glad they didn't rip apart your air conditioners for measly yards of copper wire. I'd say your best bet is to have those underground trash cans they have in some of the older neighborhoods. Of course, everything is a big red tape to get anything done in Puerto Rico, so you might even have to get a permit to punch a hole in the concrete in front of your house lol. Good luck to you.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes they are the ones who told us to do so but at least we know now. Before we had completely moved in someone stole all the copper piping outside our house (to the appliances) so now we have plastic.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:51 PM

Can someone tell me how we are supposed to give the Christmas tip to the trash collectors? They come at 4:00 a.m. now and I usually am not up at that hour but I'm afraid if I tape the envelope with the money to the lid it will be stolen.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,800,731 times
You were supposed to give them money? It's a tip, not a fee. I would report them to their supervisor. As for the trashcans, write your address in big letters on the outside of the can. At least, if you see it somewhere else, you'll know it's your can.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM

7,732 posts, read 8,779,363 times
Quote:
After Christmas we were approached by our trash pickup persons and told that we were supposed to have given them money for Christmas.
Wow, talk about sense of entitlement!

Even people here on Long Island don't act like that and we are notorious for bad etiquette. Puerto Ricans should be ashamed by this kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories