U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:43 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,652,504 times

Advertisements

Island living isn't for everyone and the attrition rate of "newbies" is very high. The best advice I can give to anyone thinking of moving to one of the US territories is to spend money on a pre-move visit of at least two weeks.

Stay somewhere modest (not in a resort on a beach!) and do the mundane kinds of things you would do at "home" such as grocery shopping, visits to the PO and the bank, the DMV, etc. Read the local newspapers, get to know the geographical layout of the island, drive in "rush-hour" traffic, talk to people and learn the local mores. In other words, be a sponge.

A well-planned PMV has saved many a person from making the costly mistake of relocating cold only to find that island life just doesn't suit them. And if you DO decide to make the move, come with as little as possible to start out. Leave your major possessions on the mainland - you can always ship them at a later date if you decide to stay a while. And ALWAYS have enough money in reserve for a ticket home.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 AM
m76

5 posts, read 16,602 times
HAHAH!! I'm a Guamanian but moved when I was 17...I went back again a few times when I was 19, 22, and 24...twice was for a year..the other for a few months...why? OMG! i AGREE with everything you have said!!!

I have been living in the mainland now for almost 10 years and when I miss the warm beaches I will be going to HAWAII lol NOT Guam!!!

I love you Guam cuz you are my home, but I will not be returning LOL for many, many, many, reasons. =)

and I completely agree, when I went back and spoke of this 'elephant in the middle of the room', people became defensive and let's just say my 'people' weren't too inviting afterwards.lol

Old 01-09-2010, 06:16 PM

7,732 posts, read 8,778,111 times
After reading this thread and the other threads about US territories I have come to one conclusion .... home rule is a failure and we need to bring back direct rule via presidential appointed governors and the whole deal.

I still think the Puerto Rico makes Guam look normal in comparison though.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 AM

40 posts, read 102,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGLOLNOO View Post
When the cops came, I pointed out empty beer cans that weren't mine (yeah, the thieves made themselves right at home). Perhaps they should take them for prints....they LAUGHED. The police LAUGHED AT ME because GUAM HAS NO FINGERPRINT DATABASE OR FORENSIC LAB OF ANY KIND.b
Oh man, those cops were cruel...

As a Hawaii person, I was thinking about trying to live on another Pacific island like Guam for a little bit. I know OMGLOLNOO's post reflects just one person's perspective, but after reading that post, I'm having second thoughts about living in Guam. Maybe I'll just stay at home in Hawaii nei.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories