U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,415,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I doubt that it's true in Puerto Rico, but at least in some Latin American countries, "blue-blond gringo guys" are a hot commodity among las jovencitas...
Yes, indeed, and if you are a tall, good-looking, beautiful- smile gringo, and at least try to dance SALSA, and speak a little bit of Spanish.........You are in!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,264,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Yes, indeed, and if you are a tall, good-looking, beautiful- smile gringo, and at least try to dance SALSA, and speak a little bit of Spanish.........You are in!!!

That's the one theme I always see - if a person can DANCE, all is good!!

Unfortunately I can't dance so well, but I always try to go anyways and enjoy myself. As long as people are good-spirited about it!

That's one of the things I like about differences between mainland USA and Latin American culture. In more mainland USA, friends/associates would quickly cut you down for trying to dance and you can't dance well. Whereas my experience with Latinos, is they really don't care how well or poorly you dance, as long as you're all having fun!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 PM

91 posts, read 310,770 times
If there's something in which Puerto Rico excels over any other country in the world is in music, dancing and having a good time.

Puerto Ricans wouldn't lose an opportunity to "dar una baila'ita," pretty much anywhere, once the salsa beat begins.

Wanna have serious fun? Go anywhere where there are pleneros, like Fiestas de la Calle San Sebasti√°n (January), and get into it.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 PM

138 posts, read 285,473 times
It shouldn't matter there are plenty of Blond/Blue Eyed Puerto Ricans, not as common as Black hair and brown eyes but they are around. Having traveled across Latin America you should be fine I wouldn't worry about it. If you come as an outsider you will be seen as an outsider, if you come as part of the family you will be excepted.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:58 AM

888 posts, read 685,803 times
Honestly, I don't think it's an issue.
Just be yourself and have a good time.
The PR people are less uptight about skin/eye color than the US.
Don't worry.

Let destiny and serendipity carry you - you'll have an adventure.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 PM

81 posts, read 267,796 times
i find that being a gringo who lives here, i am accepted in every situation i get in to. Its all about your attitude and the way you carry yourself.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 PM

684 posts, read 1,320,924 times
Only 1/6 of the usa population has blonde hair. A smaller percent is blue eyed/ blonde haired.

When this type of US nationals travel to Venezuela, they are considered part of the european venezuelan ethnic groups (italian, spanish, portuguese, german). Average middle high income vzlans.

Now, when they open their mouth and the english lenguage is heard, venezuelans ask the person if he is Australian/canadian/english. Venezuelans do not recognize US nationals as "blue eyed/blonde people".

Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,074 times
Nobody will give you trouble for being an English-speaking American, white or black, Hispanic or non-Hispanic in Puerto Rico. There is a degree of racism in the island (mostly associated with social class status), but you don't feel the segregation or that strong "ethnic" tension that you feel in some big cities in the United States. You might be known by some neighbors as "the gringo", or "the American", but it will not be done in a negative light.

Sadly, Puerto Rico "developed" with the car-obsessed planners of the middle of the 20th Century, and today, naturally, it is very car-dependent. Public transportation is not very effective, sidewalks are small and in some parts full of cars, and the island in general is full of urban sprawl. I live in Hato Rey (San Juan) and sometimes use my bicycle to get around, but you can only get away with that in some areas, and most likely on the weekend. You can find small "walkable" enclaves in parts of Old San Juan, Hato Rey, Santurce (including Condado and Miramar), and near the Rio Piedras University area.

There is a lot of murder-related crime in the island, but the victims are usually people involved in the drug business. However, people in general are friendly (there are always some exceptions), and will most likely stop to help you with directions or anything if asked to. Even poor people generally understand some basic English, as it is (not as effective as it should) taught by school teachers and by the influence of movies and cable television.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:17 AM

26 posts, read 105,982 times
Puerto Ricans are very friendly...Isla Verde is a great area: Puerto Rico Is The Place

I think you will be fine...enjoy Puerto Rico.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:30 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,215,988 times
You'll find some on the island just don't want you there, but for the most part I was treated like a prince during my 10-day vacation in 1998, and later during the one and a half years I lived there starting in January of 1999. While in the military during the 80's one of my friends was from the island and in '98 he and his wife invited me for a vacation and I took them up on the offer. Had an absolutely wonderful time, and his wife's friend and I hit it off and kept in touch after my vacation was over. The families of all three of them treated me especially well.

I found I had most of my problems when I was working. Had a couple co-workers who did not want gringos working with them. Also, once in awhile when my friend and his wife insisted on going to one of the local bar type settings some of the locals made it clear they didn't appreciate me being there. Didn't phase me however. Went to one of those places where the locals all were wearing cowboy hats. When we were leaving the bartender looked at me and said in english, "Be careful", in a mocking way. I stopped lowered my sunglasses and looked him in the eye and said, "Be careful of what???" I knew what he meant but decided to defuse the situation a little and asked, "What, you think we can't drink???". He said, "Oh yeah, night and day. Night and day.", while smiling. Of course it helped that my friend had been a no-neck powerlifter, and was staring the other 'Cowboys' down as I talked to the bartender. That still makes me laugh when I think about it. I didn't feel in any real danger, but if I had been by myself, who knows? Truth be told, that same sort of thing could happen in my own hometown if I wandered into a bar I had never frequented before.
A matter of being smart where you go.

I found people who lived along the coast more used to people from the states travelling through or stopping. Still felt like I stood out like a sore thumb, but not as much as when I was in the mountains. Sticking out was sometimes a very nice thing though as the attention I received was often extremely hospitable.

And if I had been just a little younger I probably would have gotten married there. I was 33 when I moved and received a fair amount of attention from some very very beautiful young women, but wouldn't have felt right about it even though they were more than old enough. Even took things too slow with the girl I had met on vacation and lost her because I refused to act like anything but a gentleman, and she was in a hurry to get married or something, I don't even know to be honest. She expected me to be more aggressive right off the bat.

One thing I noticed was the people in the town I first lived in, Hatillo, seemed very happy and proud a white guy from Ohio would move there. They were used to people from the island moving to the states so it was a big deal I moved there.

By the way, when I was living there my friend told me some people from the states move I think around Rincon on the west side of the island. There is supposedly good surf for surfers a certain time of the year and some people have moved there. Might be something to check out. Personally, if I lived on the island again I'd probably want to be in a smaller community again, and I liked Hatillo quite a bit. Maybe because it's familiar to me. I also lived in Arecibo for awhile before I left the island. I felt safe in both those communities, but can't say I would have in all of the smaller communities I came across. But again, I could say that about certain neighborhoods in my own city here in Toledo, Ohio.

If you wont be moving there for many years, it will give you plenty of time to learn the language to help you enjoy your life on the island, if you don't already know it.

Please excuse any typos as I typed this pretty fast and don't have time to proofread it....Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories