U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 03:11 AM

543 posts, read 894,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Y'know with all this division in the mainland United States. Black aren't popular in one spot, whites aren't so popular in another spot, and on and on.

Occassionally that feeds into other areas, where other groups decide they don't like black or white, for similar reasons, and on and on.

How about in Puerto Rico? If you have an obvious looking gringo guy...even if speaking Spanish and down-to-earth...are they received as the perpetual gringo? Are they thought of in a way as 'that guy looks gringo, so therefore he must be (insert negative stereotype) here...

Or, are things pretty casual...whoever is whoever, etc.

(Basically, I lived in South America for a year, years ago, mostly Brazil, and absolutely loved it! Occassionally I entertain the idea of someday in my later years, finding a great walkable city, proximity to everywhere, no car, just stroll and live out the rest of my life - got another 25 years of working though before me. But nontheless, what are the feasibility of this in somewhere like San Juan or a similar amenity-rich, non-auto-centric city in Puerto Rico...and would reception be decent, negative, etc.?)
Read my thread on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:55 AM

111 posts, read 140,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunpup View Post
There is no similarity between Puerto Rico and Venezuela except language. I live in PR and have lived briefly in many areas of Venezuela. Venezuela is a very stratified almost racist society totally unlike the non-racist easy going PR society which is a combination of mainland and Spanish culture.
I'm surprised to read that some find no similarities between PR and Venezuela. It is well noted and the opinion of most that Venezuela is sort of an anomaly in South America, sharing more with the Islands than with the rest of South America. As a latino, this is something I've heard all of my life and something I've noted myself having much exposure to both Venezuela and Puerto Rico.

Venezuela and PR share many cultural similarities (strong andalucian/canarian and moderate african influence in speech, music of choice is salsa/reggaeton, national sport is baseball, Caribbean/tropical landscape, obsession with beauty pageants, and much more). Traditional Venezuelan food is very similar to Cuban food and extremely popular in the Dominican Republic (street carts sell cachapas and arepas). Most striking to me about Venezuela is how some accents (particularly among the coastal blacks) are virtually indistinguishable from some accents I've heard in PR and the Dominican Republic. To someone that doesn't know Venezuela, the best description IMO would be something like a mix of Colombia and PR/DR/Cuba .

I think the differences you allude to are more political/economic in nature. Venezuela is in fact a very stratified and racist country. There is (or was) a strong foreign upper class sector (20-30%) that is very distinct from the rest of Venezuela. If you commingle mostly with that sector of Venezuela, you will see no similarity to Puertorican culture. However, if you go out to the streets and deal with middle/lower-middle and working class Venezuelans, you will see a striking cultural similarity to the Caribbean Islands. That is, of course, if you don't get shot in the process.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:45 PM

132 posts, read 201,373 times
You have some good points here, particularly on accent, which I am no judge of.
I have travelled very extensively in Venezuela from east to west and north to south from steaming jungles to high Andes.
I am a keen observer of my environment, and I was always astounded how even a short distance in that country made for very observable differences. Even the shape of bread!
This is the reality of Venezuela that there is not much communication from one region to another. Economic and political instability are big factors.
There are more varieties of people. The southern half of the country.is made up more of indigenous peoples many of whom are pure of racial stock. Some Amazonas villages borrow very little from Spanish design and influence. Andean people still were wearing black in mourning over lost nationhood when I was there.
Militarism--even before Chavez--is evident everywhere even in the police.
Food seems to be much more corn based than in PR (arepas so common), perhaps more of the Amerindian influence.
Vast economic differences exist with whites not too associated with darker people. Not a big middle class. You are rich or poor, sometimes very poor.
Puerto Rico has been strongly influenced by its more-than-a-century relationship with the US which profoundly changed it.
Another reason for Venezuelan differences are a result of its ongoing border disputes and wars with all of its neighbours. PR never had such problems which can strongly influence national development.
So much, but space is limited here.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 AM

If you call yourself a "gringo" you have not only labled yourself an outsider but have accepted a word that gives you a very negative connotation. If you wish to be laughed at and called pejorative names keep calling yourself that. Those who do not like you or where you come from.will tell you they have the right to call you this word. Amongst many other such words it is designed to denigrate and make fun of someone generally disliked. They will call you this commonly in Mexico where the US is generally hated.
In Puerto Rico we are all one nation of the same citizenship white, brown, or black. Lose the word!

Last edited by Sunscape; 01-12-2015 at 04:06 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Whoops! I didn't see the date of the original posting.

Last edited by sunpup; 10-03-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,297 times
We are non Spanish speaking and have three kids. We will have to look for work. How hard is it to find work with no Spanish and are there any options for safe, decent English speaking public schools? Is their a certain area I should focus on to try to make this work?

Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 PM

355 posts, read 617,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perlamaria View Post
Americans come here and expect us to speak english and every time i see one of you i told them to their face speak spanish they go to guaynabo because they think theres going to find more white puerto ricans and they dont want to live close to dark puerto ricans lol then they get surprised when all puerto ricans live in harmony no matter what the skin color is like in usa i have many friends that have become independentistas after living in racist usa we dont want no part wit usa get out yanquee here you are not safe to be killed just cause you are white
"All Puerto Ricans live in harmony no matter what the skin colors is..."

Then you tell them they're not safe and can be killed for being white.

Goes without saying but lets say it anyway, this is a ridiculous post.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,272,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
Yes there are Gringo ghettos, where gringos stick to each other and complain, complain and complain. But if you're adventurous and go out and meet the people you'll really get a sense of what Puerto Rico is really like. People are friendly, helpful and really like Gringos, but strange as it might seem to many gringos, most Puerto Ricans despite knowing English keep to other Puerto Ricans because they prefer to socialize with others who joke around in Spanish. However they'll be polite and will never tell you to speak their language, like gringos demand Hispanics do in the U.S.

Bottom line, Learning Spanish is a must if you're going to live there, but if you live in a gringo ghetto, no need to learn the language.
Gringo ghettos? Where are those located at?

Old 10-14-2018, 03:39 PM

783 posts, read 390,097 times
Quote:
Since the hurricane? Miami......

Old 10-15-2018, 11:21 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,131,600 times
Quote:
Rincón has its share of depraved burnouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories