U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 PM

12 posts, read 19,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
We had a good discussion about this subject recently on CD: //www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...erto-rico.html

Bottomline is that while you'll find more English speakers in tourist areas, but that doesn't mean you won't find people who speak English elsewhere in the Island. Like Purtex says, "many are not comfortable speaking English" so out of shyness, they may not even attempt it.

Spanglish is more prevalent in the U.S. mainland versus PR, IMHO, and I don't think it's limited to Puerto Ricans. Unfortunately, many Hispanics/Latinos living in the U.S. mainland speak Spanglish.
I can vouch for this. I live right now in Texas and hear a lot of Spanglish while in Puerto Rico, you either spoke to a person in Spanish or English. There is a lot of Spanish slang words that are derived from English words but when people speak to you in English, they won't use those words.
Remember, from kindergarten on we are taught English with all the other school subject. This happens in every public and private school on the island. If you look at the signs on most of the business, you will notice that many of them are in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:58 AM

25,058 posts, read 24,026,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not really sure but in my opinion they either need to become a state and pay up like the rest of us or cut them loose
Pay up like the rest of us yet another uninformed comment from a mainlander. You DO know that Puerto Rico has a <30% income tax, right? No, I bet you didn't. We don't pay federal income tax, but we collect about the same amount as if we paid federal income tax. What, you want us to pay another 20% federal on top of that, to have a tax rate of 50%?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM

2,743 posts, read 3,428,996 times
[quote=joseph hosz;the us would never cut puerto rico lose its a military strategic point for the usa, [/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to read your reasoning that the island is of strategic importance to our military...

The island no longer has Rosey Roads, and Ft Buchanan is too small to accommodate an influx of troops as in a staging area prior to a deployment somewhere....and not to diminish their importance, it seems the Coast Guard has the greatest impact on the island and surrounding waters now.

Military of Puerto Rico

As for the tax situation, until the current tax revenue is used for it's intended use (for the betterment of all residents), of what use would a tax increase be ?

As to the use of English....my wife worked at the VA Hospital in San Juan for 3 months, and even tho' it was a directive from the VA Administration, that all personnel will converse in English only it never happened, nor was it enforced. Fellow RN's and Doctor's would flaunt the rule and continue to speak in Spanish because they were comfortable with it, regardless that my wife and their fellow Nurse was having important patient information effectively withheld from her. Seems the mindset was; this is my island, my native tongue, and you're not about to tell me how to speak.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-14-2012, 06:06 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,142,344 times
So what exactly are both sides getting from each other?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM

7,732 posts, read 8,779,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
So what exactly are both sides getting from each other?
It doesent matter what 'we' get or what 'they' get. What matters is that roughly 85-90% of Puerto Ricans desire a permanent union with the United States differing only whether that permanent union should be a 'territorial commonwealth' or as the 51st state of the United States of America.

Zaida Hernandez said today that voter registration for the pro-statehood New Progressive Party is nearing 1,000,000 while voter registration for the pro-commonwealth Popular Democratic Party has fallen to 700,000 ... there's slightly less than 2,000,000 registered voters on the island. ESTADO 51!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 PM

21 posts, read 41,867 times
@gemstone,Cuba,Venezuela, and all points south.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 AM

2,743 posts, read 3,428,996 times
"Cuba,Venezuela, and all points south"....

sorry, that tells me nothing of the military advantage the island of Puerto Rico would offer the US....but I don't want to hijack the thread with this discussion.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 AM

7,732 posts, read 8,779,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Cuba,Venezuela, and all points south"....

sorry, that tells me nothing of the military advantage the island of Puerto Rico would offer the US....but I don't want to hijack the thread with this discussion.

Regards
Gemstone1
Actually it does, Rafael Hernandez Airport in Aguadilla has the longest runway in the Caribbean built as part of Ramey Air Force Base specifically to handle the B-52 bomber.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,800,731 times
Holy necrothread!! Do you guys know that most of the posts in this thread are from a time when George W. Bush was president and Anibal Acevedo Vilá was governor of Puerto Rico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories