U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 AM

177 posts, read 883,416 times

Advertisements

Got a new one for you guys.

This happened on 26 towards San Juan maybe about a month ago. Time: afternoon approaching evening and past the rush hour.

I encounter heavy traffic which was unexpected. Soon it becomes evident that there is an car accident ahead. Four or more police vehicles block all but the left most lane. As I am approaching the accident, and along with the rest of the drivers, I try to make my way through the bottle neck, at this time I notice a driver that decides to plow right through the accident! He made it almost all the way through, but was stopped by police. Instead of stopping, the driver tries to back up, but now he is driving over things that look like some sort of evidence that police marked. I did not stick around to see what happened next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM

543 posts, read 894,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
One of the other "customs" I have noted in PR regarding shopping carts is that of leaving empty carts behind cars parked in the parking lot. I have noticed people doing this many times when it would have taken just as little effort to put it in between cars so that it would not block anyone.
WASP people in Virginia do that too!!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,633,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
WASP people in Virginia do that too!!!!
LOL tell me about it. These people in Virginia are something else. They do not know how to drive. It's crazy. They do not use any signals or anything. Also, people here stare a lot, like if one is from another planet, also people from here drive so slow, also when I back up people just walk behind the car like if I was not backing up is crazy lol... I get so vexed but I always try to keep cool... It's so hard trust me.. Sometimes I cannot hold it anymore... and would just honk at them.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,309,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNeedOfAnswers View Post
That happens in supermarkets all around the globe. I have seen few solutions in Europe where the shopping cart is equipped with a coin operated lock. The carts are locked and you need a quarter to unlock it. When you take the cart back then you can get your quarter back. I think that this solution would work in PR very well.
They used to do this in almost all the supermarkets when I was growing up (in New Jersey). For some reason, they don't do this anymore. Maybe people don't care about a quarter knowadays as much as before? LOL. I think it's really efficient!

Old 07-15-2009, 12:01 PM

I have witnessed yet another act of leaving a shopping cart in the checkout lane. Too bad that my Spanish is so weak, I would have chewed that person out.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,633,789 times
Quote:
I have witnessed yet another act of leaving a shopping cart in the checkout lane. Too bad that my Spanish is so weak, I would have chewed that person out.
Wow lol I hate when they do that! How are you able to comminicate in PR if you do not know Spanish? Or you just go to the places that the people speak English?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Wow lol I hate when they do that! How are you able to comminicate in PR if you do not know Spanish? Or you just go to the places that the people speak English?
I understand the basics, and there is usually someone who knows at least limited English. It is enough to get by, and when all fails I summon my co-workers for help with translation. Learning Spanish is essential when living in PR, and that is my goal.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:10 PM

22,316 posts, read 898,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
KMart tried it on St Thomas and it went down like a zinc cupcake. The quarters would get jammed, the mechanisms rusted out fast in the tropical climate and the project lasted all of a year before being scratched.

Just in general, if you have an idea of how things could be "made better" in the Caribbean then you can bet that it's already been tried - and more often than not more than once or twice! Cheers!
What about the "teaching" of grocery store etiquette. Something along the lines of signs and cashiers that say "Thank you for shopping at X...and thank you for returning the grocery cart to the proper place?"

Also, perhaps you business-oriented readers would be able to address here just how detrimental to business it would be to use pilons or turnstiles to prevent grocery shopping carts from even leaving a store. I can see the elderly being put at a disadvantage, but not if store personnel are assigned to assist them via employee use of the carts from store to parking lot.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 PM

81 posts, read 267,930 times
Quote:
That happens in supermarkets all around the globe. I have seen few solutions in Europe where the shopping cart is equipped with a coin operated lock. The carts are locked and you need a quarter to unlock it. When you take the cart back then you can get your quarter back. I think that this solution would work in PR very well.
The quarter in the shopping cart thing happens in New Jersey, although they have seemed to find a way to get around this feature. They also charge for plastic bags when you check out. i know its unrelated but i found it odd.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 PM

81 posts, read 267,930 times
Only in PR have i seen someone at work (today the post office) more worried about their text message than doing their job. And the gentleman i am referring to was in his late 40's. It amazes me how most people here have a phone attached to their ear 18 hours a day here. My bro-in-law wakes up to his phone ringing and falls asleep with it in his hand. Drives me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories