U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,810,019 times

Advertisements

Actually, the old timers blame cable television and:
1.) There seems to be no direct indication of "Crips" and "Bloods" activity. It's all local. With many "town hall" meetings hoping to instruct parents on gang type activity.
2.) 59 murders for the 2009 year, and 5 already in January doesn't bode well. Very little respect for human life. We ARE the highest per capita murderers in America, I believe, but someone please prove me wrong. Less than 30% resolution rate of murders.
3.) It is NOT illegal immigrants doing the lion's share of the killing. It's locals. Illegals tend to keep a very low profile, work and send money home.
4.) The "entitlement" attitude, from the upper echelons of government down to a school kid with a .357 magnum prevails strongly in the Islands. You want it, you take it. You have a god given right to it.
5.) Two cops (and a civilian co-conspirator) just got convicted of conspiracy, bribery, corruption, etc. shaking down an alleged drug dealer.
6.) Never had a problem ourselves in nearly 12 years living here. Use your head.
7.) The police know where the guns are coming from and generally who is bringing them in. Mostly not locals, although a kid with the National Guard was caught with another person from Tennesee smuggling guns and ammo. The National Guard kid was found "not guilty" by a "jury of his peers," but the Tennessean was convicted. Read what you want into that. It IS a whole 'nother world.
8.) According to news reports, 60% of the guns identified used in crimes were legally registered. Those of us that don't "carry," and abide by the law, remain at risk by the thousands that have guns stuffed into their baggy pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 03:00 PM

5,556 posts, read 7,076,236 times
Um...I just want to add something here in relation to this topic.

Before I got into Facebook, I was on another social networking website known as Hi5. While I am a native of the Virgin Islands, my immediate family roots are from St. Kitts and Nevis. As a result, I did some searches on my last name trying to find family on those two islands. Well to my shock, I was taken aback by the amount of pages (created by 13-21 year olds) that were either all decked out in red or blue. The owners of the pages often had on a blue or red bandana across their faces or they would pose with GUNS or special signs. Even more strange was the fact that some of the contents were written in some unreadable code. In one picture from Nevis, there were 4 young boys all dressed in uniromed colors. They had on red shirts, black Dickies pants and all had red handkerchiefs hanging out of their back pockets. Each held up their fingers in some sign. This was at a funeral for a fallen friend who supposedly died in an "unmentioned" gang war that is going on over there.

The pages were also littered with pictures of fancy cars, half naked girls and dollars all over the place. Obviously there priorities lies elsehwhere. For most, I am sure this is just a phase, but others are serious about this and are making it COOL and appealing to those who might be on the fence at the moment.

As if that was not bad enough, I stumbled across a MySpace page featuring a STUDENT at my alma mater (IEKHS). He also mentioned his current home area and it just so happened to be next to my old neitghborhood where my mom and little sister still lives. Well, he was on there posing with TWO 9mm guns crossed across his chest and he had a picture of hundred dollar bills strewn across his bed. He also sent out props to his brother who was in jail; a brother he had pictures of posing with guns. I can see this and find this. Can the cops??? This young kid has a right to his "freedon of expression" of course, but...

What I am pointing out here is, there is a sub-culture growing up right beneath our noses back home who are clearly being drawn in by a foreign vibe that was not cultured back home. Clearly their heroes are from elsewhere and it is quite disturbing.

As is often the case, by the time the authorities notice it or call it what it is, the bad guys are light years ahead in weapons and know how.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Still, no direct evidence of actual organized gang stuff. Just an awful lot of wannabees. I'll let Rodney know about the MySpace and facebook stuff. Thing is, they're killing each other. Always local on local. IEKHS has had fight flareups, the St. John/St. Thomas rivalry, kids arrested with knives and other lovely occurrences of late. There are definitely "posses" running around fighting each other over nothing. It's an entitlement attitude that permeates society here, from the top of government, all the way down to the children. They're trained that "cash is king" and "get it where you can."

Old 02-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Still, no direct evidence of actual organized gang stuff. Just an awful lot of wannabees. I'll let Rodney know about the MySpace and facebook stuff. Thing is, they're killing each other. Always local on local. IEKHS has had fight flareups, the St. John/St. Thomas rivalry, kids arrested with knives and other lovely occurrences of late. There are definitely "posses" running around fighting each other over nothing. It's an entitlement attitude that permeates society here, from the top of government, all the way down to the children. They're trained that "cash is king" and "get it where you can."
I agree with the above in bold (for now), however, whether they are directly connected or 'wannabess,' it's not a good thing. Emulating that kind of lifestyle is disturbing, to be honest.

Who is Rodney, if you don't mind me asking???

Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM

7,732 posts, read 8,775,352 times
Quote:
I can see this and find this. Can the cops??? This young kid has a right to his "freedon of expression" of course, but...
While I have heard of law enforcement agencies using MySpace or Facebook in an investigation I don't think it's very widespread. I personally think using such resources are an amazing aid to investigations but I guess many in the law enforcement world think otherwise.

There has to be a reason why the police do not use these resources. I mean it's RIGHT there only a few clicks away on the www.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
While I have heard of law enforcement agencies using MySpace or Facebook in an investigation I don't think it's very widespread. I personally think using such resources are an amazing aid to investigations but I guess many in the law enforcement world think otherwise.

There has to be a reason why the police do not use these resources. I mean it's RIGHT there only a few clicks away on the www.

I guess.

Come to think of it, a few years back while I was still living in Florida, Sean Taylor, corner back for the Washington Redskins was killed in a botched robbery in South Florida. I remember the news station talking about the MySpace pages of two of the suspects. I was able to access them before they were yanked down. Nothing but guns, bragging about money, pictures with them flashing hundreds of hundred dollar bills, weeds, g-string clad girls, loads of profanity and so on. What was interesting was that some of their comments were put up on their pages AFTER the shooting.

*sigh*

What is also interesting is that while some of the kids are just posturing and talking nonsense and may, indeed, be decent kids at heart, some of them have up all that nonsense on their computers, communicating with others of like minds and their parents are completely oblivious to the fact that Jonathan B. Surburbia is flexing on MySpace as "G@NG$T@ OG."

Old 02-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Rodney Querrard, Chief of Police STT.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Rodney Querrard, Chief of Police STT.
Oh ok. I thought so. He's the new guy, right?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 17,173 times
real gang action up in cali homie

Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM

11 posts, read 36,686 times
I recently rented a car and the agency insisted that I install a steering wheel lock anytime I went to a beach. Said a number of his cars had been stolen.
BUT, we didn't have any problems....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories