U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:10 AM

24,671 posts, read 60,666,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by execubob View Post
I recently rented a car and the agency insisted that I install a steering wheel lock anytime I went to a beach. Said a number of his cars had been stolen.
BUT, we didn't have any problems....
Interesting - never heard of that and I assume they provided you with the steering wheel lock?

I had one car stolen here a few years ago - the one night I forgot to put the steering wheel lock on it! It was a Honda Accura which is a very sought-after vehicle for the kids who like to soup up their vehicles at no expense to themselves and after a couple of incidents where they tried to take the car out of my parking lot I bought the steering wheel hub. Forgot to put it one night and it was gone, right from underneath my nose.

It was found a few days later along with a couple of others, way up in the boonies and just by chance. They hadn't had a chance to take out the engine or the transmission but had removed all the seats and were obviously preparing to come back for the rest of it.

I now have a Ford Explorer which isn't on the list of "Vehicles to T'ief" but because the driver's side door doesn't lock I have that steering wheel lock on it all the time.

As far as visitors are concerned, those of us who contribute to various forums always advise them NOT to take anything of value to the beach on any of the islands with any expectation that leaving credit cards, money, cameras, etc. either in the locked glove compartment or the locked trunk renders them safe.

Take what you need and no more and, if you're going out to swim or snorkel and there's nobody to watch your things on the beach, buy a swim pack which you can swim and snorkel with to contain your valuables. There are hundreds available!

Hope that helps a little. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,065 times
It's been interesting reading this stream of messages. I live on St. Thomas and am part of the solution, period. So are you all. We can stay away or run away, but as in everything, it will surely follow in one way or another. Our presence, more than those who are negatively and destructively involved, is most important at this time to stand for what/how we want our island homes to remain... beautiful, tranquil places for healing and whatever else...

Please be mindful in what is posted pertaining to our island homes. We'd appreciate it staying realistic, yet progressive. This will benefit all who live, visit or plan to visit our home in the future. Should we all just leave and give the island to negativity? I think not. Come home Virgin Islanders, Come home and reclaim our islands for our future generations to live off of comfortably and productively. Easier said than done, I know, but how else do we begin without beginning?

Last edited by VI-lander_4Life; 06-06-2010 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories