Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM

169 posts, read 526,403 times

Advertisements

My sister who lives in Asia is thinking of getting married in Guam (I live in the midwest in the US). She's thinking of March (in 2010) - is that a good time to visit? I read that it's the 'dry season' then and perhaps less humid? Do typhoons happen all year round or in some particular months?

She's thinking of getting married in one of the glass chapels but not certain yet as she's still in the beginning planning stage. It'd be a very small wedding (maybe 10-20 people altogether if that, but at least 7). Any good suggestions? Perhaps dinner at a nice restaurant?

If we don't want to stay in a hotel, are there many houses/condos (like in Hawaii, not that I'd been) for rent (let's say say for a week?)

This may be a stupid question... do people drive on the same said as mainland US?

Husband and I maybe using this trip to check Guam out as a potential place to live in the future since we'll be there already (prob not in the next few years, since we'd need to save up first, and obviously need to do some more search). So it'd be nice if we get to try some local things to see if it's a lifestyle that suits us (we aren't really big city people but I know island life can be different... I'd like to think I'm quite adaptable since the US is the 3rd country I'm living in). I love trying local and different food too.

Is living costs as high as Hawaii?

Any advice welcome!

I found this website about Guam What's It Like to Live on Guam? and will be doing more search online, but thought I'd ask the experts here too Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:48 PM

also, are there any good guidebooks out there? Seems like only have those Micronesian ones?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM

9 posts, read 40,465 times
Why does your sister want to get married here? It really isn't that great. I currently live here and am counting the days 'till I can leave. Guam is very poor, run down, dirty and full of graffiti. The hotels are OK but not what you would expect in the US. The economy here is very bad and it's extremely expensive to live here. We are military and get to live on base and that makes it bearable. The people here are very nice but that doesn't make up for the fact that culturally there isn't much to do here. You can only got to the beach so much before you tire of it. Even though most beaches are so polluted the news stations advise you not to go into the water. It is also very hot and humid here and while typhoons and earthquakes do occur they are not an everyday occurrence. Guam would be more bearable if it where closer to the US but it takes 21 hours of flying just to get there.

They do drive on the same side as the US and I do not think that there are condos to rent here at all.

People want to believe that Guam is just like Hawaii or an island paradise but it's not. The infastructure just isn't there. The government is very corrupt and they do not value education. They want our American money but hate that the US is here. They cater to the Japanese tourists and seem to ignore the military.

I do not tell you this to discourage your visit but just to let you know some of the truths about this island. Most people will tell you that it's paradise and won't give you the facts. I wish someone would have told me the truth before I came here.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:12 PM

thanks for your post tonga. appreciate your honesty.

my sister wants to have a destination wedding closes to asia, and thought guam may be a good choice that's not too expansive.

as for why we might consider moving to guam further down the road - because it's a US territory (don't need to go through immigration) closer to my family who live in asia and australia. haven't seen my family for 5 years due to the distance.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,067 times
Quote:
They cater to the Japanese tourists and seem to ignore the military.

that's refreshing, actually. everyplace i've seen colonized or inhabited by too many americans becomes a negative place culturally, it has a tendency to become less 'human' somehow and become shallow and unfriendly. the only positive or beneficial thing they present is the physical as in infrastructure, goods etc.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 14,663 times
Like any where else, there are good and bad things about Guam. It may be relatively poor, but if you've been to other countries, or travelled a lot, you will see that it is not "very poor and run down." As for the issues with American money and military, there is a lot of history to this, which cannot be explained in one post, but if one is interested enough, they can take the time to learn about it so that they can understand it better.

As for weddings, Guam is a location to which many Asian tourists come for weddings. There are a number of hotels, many of which have their own chapels. You can look up a listing of hotels at www.guamphonebook.com and I'm sure most of them have their own websites. So if your sister is interested, she can take some time to look for herself rather than taking the word of myself or any other random person. I don't know of many houses or condos that rent weekly, but there are some condo-like hotels available. There are also a lot of good restaurants in a variety of price ranges. You said that you love trying local and different foods, and there is definitely the opportunity for that here.

We do drive on the same side of the road and it is an expensive place to live. But the people are great. And there are a lot of outdoor activities if you chose to take advantage of them. It really all depends on the kind of person you are, whether you are open to new experiences, and whether you take the time to look beyond the surface.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM

Thanks! She has just booked St Laguna Chapel for next March - so I guess I have a year to prepare! I have been to some poorer countries (not the very rural areas tho). I am not really looking for luxury. I'm excited about the trip!

Thanks for the website!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 AM

6 posts, read 58,695 times
I'm also from Guam. I wouldn't say that the island is poor and run down. The government could definitely do a better job at cleaning up and enforcing laws on taking care of buildings or tearing them down. But that's a whole other story.

I've lived in many different places and went to college in San Francisco. I will tell you that on Guam you'll never find more friendly/ welcoming people.

Regarding the aforementioned comment about Guam's economy being bad I can honestly say that it isn't as bad as the mainland US right now. Yes, man people have lost their jobs, but it hasn't gotten as bad as the US. So at a time like now I'm very glad that I live on Guam.

Guam isn't what people think it is. It's a beautiful, but like most things it is what you make of it. If you're constantly focusing on the negative you'll never get anything positive out of your visit or your life.

Weddings on Guam are beautiful. I suggest that your sister get married in the afternoon so she can get pictures with the sunset. I will say that, hands down, Guam has the most breathtaking sunsets.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:51 PM

thank you!

i believe the wedding is at 3pm, so we can definitely get some pics afterward closing to sunset.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,921 times
Default wedding planner in guam

Hi my name is Kathleen and I am an event planner here in Guam...if your sister needs further assistance in regards to her upcoming wedding I will be more than happy to assist her she can visit my website www.bonitanangelsplanguam.com or email me at kat@bonitanangelsplanguam.com I have been in the business for the past 3 years and have done weddings with the budget of $1,000.00 up to $30,000.00...hoping to her from either of you soon.

Sincerely,
Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
My sister who lives in Asia is thinking of getting married in Guam (I live in the midwest in the US). She's thinking of March (in 2010) - is that a good time to visit? I read that it's the 'dry season' then and perhaps less humid? Do typhoons happen all year round or in some particular months?

She's thinking of getting married in one of the glass chapels but not certain yet as she's still in the beginning planning stage. It'd be a very small wedding (maybe 10-20 people altogether if that, but at least 7). Any good suggestions? Perhaps dinner at a nice restaurant?

If we don't want to stay in a hotel, are there many houses/condos (like in Hawaii, not that I'd been) for rent (let's say say for a week?)

This may be a stupid question... do people drive on the same said as mainland US?

Husband and I maybe using this trip to check Guam out as a potential place to live in the future since we'll be there already (prob not in the next few years, since we'd need to save up first, and obviously need to do some more search). So it'd be nice if we get to try some local things to see if it's a lifestyle that suits us (we aren't really big city people but I know island life can be different... I'd like to think I'm quite adaptable since the US is the 3rd country I'm living in). I love trying local and different food too.

Is living costs as high as Hawaii?

Any advice welcome!

I found this website about Guam What's It Like to Live on Guam? and will be doing more search online, but thought I'd ask the experts here too Thanks much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories