U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,682,139 times

Advertisements

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to hindsight2020 again"
Very eloquent and insightful post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 14,495,720 times
"People are people so why should it be..."
I was surprised to see so much diversity in skin color in PR. You really can't tell someone's from PR by the way they look. I also found it interesting that PR is so mixed, in part, because historically it's been a refuge for fleeing people. First from Venezuela during the Bolivarian independence movement (solidifying PR as very conservative) and then, among others, for white dominicans (when they were persecuted in their homeland) and cubans. I'm an American (which means I'm a lot of things ancestrally) and my wife PR (she's what I call the PR triumvirate..white, black, and taino). I take it for this thread that if we end up moving there, I would probably prefer San Juan for much the same reason people choose NY in the states.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 PM

543 posts, read 894,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I was surprised to see so much diversity in skin color in PR. You really can't tell someone's from PR by the way they look.
People ask me if I'm French or Nordic. I'm very tall, but I also have very distinguished Mediterranean facial features and visible body hair. If I talk Spanish, I'd get asked if I'm from Spain or Argentina (Hispanic countries with the most white people). When I say I'm from PR, nobody believes me. They may believe me when they see me with my siblings; who do not look like me; my brothers have darker skin, but lighter eyes. My little half sister (who was like a daughter to me) is like a mini clone of me...that spend too much time at the beach (she has dark skin).

Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,308,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I was surprised to see so much diversity in skin color in PR. You really can't tell someone's from PR by the way they look. I also found it interesting that PR is so mixed, in part, because historically it's been a refuge for fleeing people. First from Venezuela during the Bolivarian independence movement (solidifying PR as very conservative) and then, among others, for white dominicans (when they were persecuted in their homeland) and cubans. I'm an American (which means I'm a lot of things ancestrally) and my wife PR (she's what I call the PR triumvirate..white, black, and taino). I take it for this thread that if we end up moving there, I would probably prefer San Juan for much the same reason people choose NY in the states.

I agree, lol. I don't think any Latin American country is as diverse as Puerto Rico, with the exceptions of Cuba and Brazil. The rest have one dominating race. There is no Puerto Rican "look", pretty much anything and everything goes. Even siblings with the same parents come out varied and its a common occurance.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 PM

709 posts, read 1,606,874 times
Quote:
There is no Puerto Rican "look",
Most Puerto Ricans look Biracial or Triracial, so there is a Puerto Rican look.

Most Puerto Ricans have a distinct look that is limited only to the New World a.k.a the Americas. In other words most Puerto Ricans have a unique look that can not be found in the Old World like Europe or Sub Saharian Africa.

Your average Puerto Rican is too dark to pass for a European and at the same time too light to pass for a Sub Saharian African. Your average Puerto Rican racially looks out of place in both the White community and the Black community and can not racially blend in neither of those 2 communities appearance wise.

Luis Guzman and Jennifer Lopez are the bench mark for looking Puerto Rican because they fall into the category of not looking European enough to pass for White and at the same time not looking African enough to pass for Black. This is what happens when a society is created out of racial miscegnation between Africans, Amerindians, and Europeans. You get a population where the majority does not racially resemble David Beckham or Deion Sanders.

Last edited by John McClane; 07-10-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 06:11 PM

4,476 posts, read 8,632,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post

Most Puerto Ricans have a distinct look that is limited only to the New World a.k.a the Americas. In other words most Puerto Ricans have a unique look that can not be found in the Old World like Europe or Sub Saharian Africa.

Your average Puerto Rican is too dark to pass for a European and at the same time too light to pass for a Sub Saharian African. Your average Puerto Rican racially looks out of place in both the White community and the Black community and can not racially blend in neither of those 2 communities appearance wise.

Luis Guzman and Jennifer Lopez are the bench mark for looking Puerto Rican because they fall into the category of not looking European enough to pass for White and at the same time not looking African enough to pass for Black. This is what happens when a society is created out of racial miscegnation between Africans, Amerindians, and Europeans. You get a population where the majority does not racially resemble David Beckham or Deion Sanders.
Puerto Ricans are made up of Blacks (Africans) Whites (Spaniards) Indian (Taino)

That is why some Puerto Ricans may look Black, White or even Indian.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post

Uh, that's not exactly true. I have seen so many Puerto Ricans that look either purely White or purely African that I can't say "Most Puerto Ricans look like this...". Not to mention all the ones I've seen that have an Indian look to them. I have alot of aunts from my father's side that can pass as life-long residents of Mumbai, LOL. Then you have my mother's sister, who had a woman insult her at the movies in Spanish once because she thought she was White and wouldn't understand a thing. When my aunt replied in Spanish, the woman was both surprised and scared, LOL. My younger brother looks exactly like a Hasidic Jew and I have that "can pass for anything look", LOL. People usually don't know what I am and I've gotten Brazilian, Italian, Egyptian, Indian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Arab before.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 07-13-2009 at 10:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 01:59 PM

709 posts, read 1,606,874 times
Quote:
Uh, that's not exactly true. I have seen so many Puerto Ricans that look either purely White or purely African that I can't say "Most Puerto Ricans look like this...". Not to mention all the ones I've seen that have an Indian look to them. I have alot of aunts from my father's side that can pass as life-long residents of Mumbai, LOL. Then you have my mother's sister, who had a woman insult her at the movies in Spanish once because she thought she was White and wouldn't understand a thing. When my aunt replied in Spanish, the woman was both surprised and scared, LOL. My younger brother looks exactly like a Hasidic Jew and I have that "can pass for anything look", LOL. People usually don't know what I am and I've gotten Brazilian, Italian, Egyptian, Indian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Arab before.
So because your mother's sister can pass for White, that means the majority of Puerto Ricans can pass for White ?

If that is the case than why is it at Puerto Rican pride parades people who look like this
Moderator cut: copyright photos

The crowds that you see at Puerto Rican pride parades is nowhere near as lily White as the crowds that you see at Oktoberfests and St. Patrick's Day parades.

I don't know of any place on the planet where the majority is made up of a genetic mixture of Spanish, Amerindian, and African, yet at the same time the majority of the population still manages to maintain a physical appearance that looks fully White, do you ?

Newsflash populations do not get Whiter when you have large scale racial miscegnation between the Spanish, Africans, and Amerindians.

So my statement is entirely true when I say most Puerto Ricans can not pass for White. If most Puerto Ricans looked White they would not be socially included into the category called people of color.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-25-2010 at 05:11 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM

I didn't even say that all Puerto Ricans look or are White; where on earth did you get that? Out of all the different types of Puerto Ricans I described in my post, why did you focus on my aunt who's White? It seems like your trying way too hard to prove how "non-White" Puerto Ricans are. It's ridiculous. I speak according to my experiences, based on what my Puerto Rican family looks like (which is extremely diverse by the way; we have EVERYTHING) and my contact with Puerto Ricans, both here and on the island (which I have visited 7 times).

Last edited by Busch Boy; 07-14-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 PM

1,772 posts, read 4,075,250 times
It's mild xenophobia. The idea that some Hispanics are racially white scares the Jesús out of some people. When you cannot visually recognize the genetic markup of a population that has been stereotyped and marked as "undesirable social currency", the thought of procreating with them by the slightest of oversights (having a bunch of white Hispanics running around below the radar causes such risks to materialize) causes people to become obtuse in their differentiation of race and ethnicity.

As a white Hispanic myself, I saw it come full circle during my tenure living in Alabama. Most of these Southeners had the prescribed notion of the mestizo puerto rican you highlighted above, complete with the cultural crutches, language barriers and african-american by-proxyisms. So when I showed up they didn't know which way was up. I was accepted by the peer group by sheer racial and macro-cultural compatibility (the guy is white, speaks english without a heavy accent and doesn't wear puertorican flagged wifebeaters), but the name and the inflection of voice, nevermind the bilingualism, created a source of mistrust. So in true paranoid fashion they devised a further stratatization of race. They called it "white white". I kid you not, you cannot make this stuff up. According to them, there was no question I was white, but sure as the sky is blue they were certain I was not "white white". Have you heard crazier nonsense? Dating was an afterthought during that college phase of my life, as not being "doubly white" was not the kind of social currency these "belles" in Tuscaloosa were looking for. As opposed to blacks, I could fully interact socially and publicly with them, making great friendships along the way, but I sure as heck could not sexually engage any female in that crowd, that's just textbook xenophobia. It is what it is. This is 2003 so it wasn't that long ago.

The bottom line is that race is very much still social currency in this country, and that is unlikely to change, even with a black president and all. Granted, other countries have even more blatant racial tensions than our US of A (Brazil, Spain come to mind), but to suggest threads like these are not exemplifications of the inherent value people place on ensuring their offspring are racially white in this country is blatantly disingenuous. As somebody who has been simultaneously a victim AND a beneficiary of said racism, I know this reality to be true first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories