U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 PM
ncc

95 posts, read 275,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I agree, lol. I don't think any Latin American country is as diverse as Puerto Rico, with the exceptions of Cuba and Brazil. The rest have one dominating race. There is no Puerto Rican "look", pretty much anything and everything goes. Even siblings with the same parents come out varied and its a common occurance.

Agreed! Whenever I'm there visiting and i'm in a restaurant or other type of business, i'm always approached in spanish, no matter what part of the island. Luckily, i do speak spanish, but it goes to show that there's not a dominant look in PR. All those different colors of skin, hair, eyes really produce women.. Every time I went to Mexico or even to the mexican neighborhoods in my city, i really stick out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:01 PM

3,711 posts, read 7,566,958 times
The 80% that claim to be white is obviously a lie.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 AM

10,029 posts, read 14,497,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
You do know that if even 1% of your ancestors are Taino or African, you can not be considered White, you do know that right ? Are you familar with the one drop rule that disqualifies people who are not genetically 100% European from being White.
what are you some sort of nazi? this sounds like the hatethat was spread againt the Italians "they're not really white because they aren't northern european"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
They called it "white white". I kid you not, you cannot make this stuff up. According to them, there was no question I was white, but sure as the sky is blue they were certain I was not "white white". Have you heard crazier nonsense?
sound based in ignorance. a friend of mine who lived in Miss. (from Venezuela of Dutch ancestry) encountered the same, they jsut referred to him as Mexicans, which he came to find was what they called ALL hispanics. my iown surprise athow racially diverse PR was came also as a result of ignorance. Puerto Ricans make up only 1% of the metro area in Philly (which puts them at around 60k, maybe a bit more) and many largely keep to their neighborhoods but many just blend in. they could be Italian or Greek, some of them, one guy i swore was Irish was from just outside Ponce. of course, from a dating perspective, I think it's tougher on PR men. many men are uch less discriminatory in their sexual partners (if she's hot, she's hot). there are always a certain segment of white women that dig on chocolate candy bars, but I always figured PR men are similar to asian men, many of their women cross over easily but it doesn't work the same for the men. My wife points out (and she's PR) that she thinks American men make better catches because of the way many PR men view women. mind you, the deep south feels like a different country to me as it is.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
You have to remember that Puerto Rico lies in the tropics, my GF is from PR and when I stay with her family, I turn very very dark with in a week of being there. Most people would be darker if they lived in PR.
my wife is PR but since she moved north, she's gotten much lighter and is often confused for mediterranean. I always joke that she'd make a great spy since so many nationalities mistake her for their own. my grandmonther was sicilian and was fairly pale much of her life but as soon as she moved to Texas, she turned brown.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:35 PM

549 posts, read 1,547,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Out of the territory's 4 million residents, what #/percentage are non Hispanic Whites?

Do you mean Europeans?

Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Do you mean Europeans?
So there are no white south americans, australians, south africans, or Russians?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM
ncc

95 posts, read 275,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
what are you some sort of nazi? this sounds like the hate that was spread againt the Italians "they're not really white because they aren't northern european".

If people want to make those type of comments on ethnicities, then they should know actual facts and history. Of course they don't, which makes them sound very ignornant.. Southern Italy, especially Sicily (with its capital Palermo, that's considered to be the most conquered city in the world) was conquered by the Normans. The following is from Wiki...

The Normans were the people who gave their names to Normandy, a region in northern France. They descended from Viking conquerors of the territory and the native population of mostly Frankish and Gallo-Roman stock. Their identity emerged initially in the first half of the tenth century, and gradually evolved over succeeding centuries until they disappeared as an ethnic group in the early thirteenth century. The name "Normans" derives from "Northmen" or "Norsemen", after the Vikings from Scandinavia who founded Normandy (Northmannia in its original Latin).
They played a major political, military, and cultural role in medieval Europe and even the Near East. They were famed for their martial spirit and Christian piety. They quickly adopted the Romance language of the land they settled in, their dialect becoming known as Norman, an important literary language. The Duchy of Normandy, which they formed by treaty with the French crown, was one of the great large fiefs of medieval France. The Normans are famed both for their culture, such as their unique Romanesque architecture, and their musical traditions, as well as for the military accomplishments and innovations. Norman adventurers established a kingdom in Sicily and southern Italy by conquest, and a Norman expedition on behalf of their duke led to the Norman Conquest of England. Norman influence spread from these new centres to the Crusader States in the Near East, to Scotland and Wales in Great Britain, and to Ireland.
In Russian historiography, the term "Norman" is often used for the Varangians, as for example in the term "Normanist theory". In French historiography too, the term is often applied to the various Viking groups that raided France in the ninth century before settling down to found Normandy.

Conquests in Italy:

Opportunistic bands of Normans successfully established a foothold far to the south of Normandy. Probably the result of returning pilgrims' stories, the Normans entered the Mezzogiorno as warriors in 1017, at the latest. In 999, according to Amatus of Montecassino, pilgrims returning from Jerusalem called in at the port of Salerno, when a Saracen attack occurred. The Normans fought so valiantly that Prince Guaimar IV begged them to stay, but they refused and instead offered to tell others back home of the prince's request. William of Apulia tells that, in 1016, pilgrims to the shrine of the Archangel Michael at Monte Gargano were met by Melus of Bari, a Lombard freedom-fighter, who persuaded them to return with more warriors to help throw off the Byzantine rule, which they did.
The two most prominent families to arrive in the Mediterranean were descendants of Tancred of Hauteville and the Drengots, of whom Rainulf Drengot received the county of Aversa, the first Norman toehold in the south, from Duke Sergius IV of Naples in 1030. The Hautevilles achieved princely rank by proclaiming Prince Guaimar IV of Salerno "Duke of Apulia and Calabria". He promptly awarded their elected leader, William Iron Arm, with the title of count with his capital of Melfi. Soon the Drengots had attained unto the principality of Capua, and the Emperor Henry III had legally ennobled the Hauteville leader, Drogo, as dux et magister Italiae comesque Normannorum totius Apuliae et Calabriae in 1047

From these bases, the Normans eventually captured Sicily and Malta from the Saracens, under the famous Robert Guiscard, a Hauteville, and his young brother Roger the Great Count. Roger's son, Roger II, was crowned king in 1130 (exactly one century after Rainulf was "crowned" count) by Pope Anacletus II. The kingdom of Sicily lasted until 1194, when it fell to the Hohenstaufens through marriage.
The Normans left their mark however in the many castles, such as the Iron Arm's fortress at Squillace, and cathedrals, such as Roger II's at CefalĂą, which dot the landscape and give a wholly distinct architectural flavour to accompany its unique history. Institutionally, the Normans combined the administrative machinery of the Byzantines, Arabs, and Lombards with their own conceptions of feudal law and order to forge a unique government. Under this state, there was great religious freedom, and alongside the Norman nobles existed a meritocratic bureaucracy of Jews, Muslims, and Christians, both Catholic and Orthodox.

This is only a percentage of what Southern Italians are made up of.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,555 times
wht would i be classified as? in terms of cultural background where my ancestors are from? am i allowed to say i am a true puerto rican not a mutt? can i claim i am taino decent?//www.city-data.com/forum/<font...- broken link)

Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 AM

758 posts, read 2,004,366 times
I think this thread got way off topic from the very beginning. I think the OP was talking about transplants from the continental U.S. that have no cultural ties to the island or to Hispanic roots. Like... a pharmaceutical engineer from Minnesotta that went to work for Pfizer. The #s are skewed.I wouldn't trust census figures either. In my neighborhood, A LOT of gringos and canadians own condos but they rent them out to tourists and they hardly live here, and definitely don't raise their kids here (don't blame them). Places where I've scantly seen 'expats' living and working in PR: tour operating companies, surf schools, skydiving hangars, multi-national companies, hotels, the universities. If they do have children, they either homeschool or send them to private school. And as tax benefits for American companies are eroding, so is the presence of 'expats' (not really expats since they never technically left the country)

And for the records... my closest friends are PuertoRicans who identify themselves as 'white' Hispanic.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM

7,732 posts, read 8,782,353 times
Quote:
I think the OP was talking about transplants from the continental U.S. that have no cultural ties to the island or to Hispanic roots. Like... a pharmaceutical engineer from Minnesotta that went to work for Pfizer.
That is exactly what I ment. Thanks for clarifying this for the posters. When I say "White Non Hispanic" I am referring to Joelaldo's example or federal government employees, US military personnel, surfers on permanent vacation, retirees, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories