U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 AM

6 posts, read 38,090 times

Advertisements

As a Puerto Rican I laugh when I hear Ricans in the United States claim they are 100% Taino indian, or even a 3rd. It's impossible.

All Puerto Ricans are:
-fully White or mostly White (MAJORITY) [ricky martn, benicio del toro, Dayanara Torres, Denise Quiñones, Zuleyka Rivera, sonia sotomayor, Daddy Yankee, Baby Rasta y gringo, wisin y yandel, Joaquin Phoenix, marc anthony, mayra matos, jennifer colon, cynthia olavaria, charlotte ayana, noelia, susie castillo, nina sky, ect ect]
-mostly Black [think tego calderon, roberto clemente, bernie williams]
-about equal [rosario dawson]
-strong indigenous look [Luis Guzman]
-theres also some Asian Puerto Ricans but are usually highly mixed but they are a small minority.

Puerto Rico is a TINY island in the Caribbean where:
-European (and some Arab/Persian) explorers came, and brought along disease.
-Taino population was originally small, and virtually wiped out early on by disease and genocide.
-Island was White washed by immigrants from Europe many times over for centuries. Spaniards, Portuguese, Germans, Italians, British, French, Greeks, ect.
-Blacks who were brought to replace the lost Taino slaves were not allowed to mix with the Whites for some time. There was never a huge Black population anyway.

That is the truth, it's common sense.

Here are some examples in PR:

San Juan Bus:

Vast majority of people look southern European.

And in NYC, large PR population:

Moderator cut: copyright photos

Same.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-25-2010 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 AM

6 posts, read 38,090 times
Also McLaine your one drop rule does not mean much because people will call you what you look like. ESPECIALLY in other countries where the stereotype isn't: tan skin+black hair+brown eyes = Mexican. I am Puerto Rican with olive skin, brown eyes, black hair, tall and I am always mistaken for Italian and Greek and other southern European countries (which is obviously where my ancestry lies). Sometimes I get places like Lebanon or Morocco. I also do get Mexican from the less traveled American crowd, usually from southerners and African Americans.

One drop rule, an American invention like the term Latino/Hispanic means nothing. Oh and Luis Guzman and Jennifer Lopez are not how most Puerto Ricans look. Not all Europeans are pale either. Look at Penelope Cruz, Antonio Banderas, Christino Ronaldo, ect. I have met PLENTY of tan and even exotic looking Europeans of Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, French, Greek, Croatian, Sicilian, ect ancestry with olive/tan skin of various shades. All racially White, they sure ain't Black, Asian, or indigenous.

Last edited by someguyfrompr; 06-24-2010 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,141,075 times
LET'S JUST ANSWER THE OP'S QUESTION FOR ONCE!!!

There clearly is a category in the US Census as "non-hispanic white." I believe that this is what the OP was looking for. Anyway, out of an estiamted 3,940,626 inhabitants in Puerto Rico, 36,114 are labeled as non-hispanic whites. That 0.9% of the total resident population belonging to the category that OP was looking for.

Yes, guys, race is something that is not so easily defined. However, we still sadly live in a world with labels and identities, so the "non-hispanic white" label is a legit one. Not always so easily defined, yes, but one that many people still clearly identify with. Hence, the figure I gave (excludes tourists of course) is probably a reasonably accurate and legit one for the OP.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:05 AM

13,773 posts, read 34,623,068 times
Please stay on topic and do not post pictures that are not yours. Please report bad post using the triangle icon on the right of the post.

Also calling other posters names is considered a personal attack.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 PM

31 posts, read 153,010 times
Well, I don't understand this color talk really because in Puerto Rico most Puerto Ricans know themselves as Puerto Rican and not by the color of there skin....

But I happen to be what you guys call a black Puerto Rican, my family happens to be from Bayamon, the majority of my family is pretty much black. I have to say the census is completely wrong in Puerto Rico I mean 80 percent white??? Ive been to P.R. several times, at least 25 to 30 percent of the people Ive seen in San Juan look black, and 40 percent looked mix to me, the rest looked white (30 percent), I haven't been to Loiza yet, but Ive been to Fajardo and some parts of the eastern areas of Puerto Rico, and for the most part its almost all black and mullato with some white. Also I think about 30 percent or 35 percent of the people I saw in POnce were black and also again 40 percent looked mixed and about 25 percent looked white maybe. Mayaguez, I have some family there, I saw a lower percent of black colored Puerto Ricans in Mayaguez, about 15 or 20 percent of the people there were black, and 30 percent mixed, and about 50 percent white.

I love Puerto Rico either way, I'm definitely thinking about moving back, love to have my kids raised in that environment!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,129,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post
Well, I don't understand this color talk really because in Puerto Rico most Puerto Ricans know themselves as Puerto Rican and not by the color of there skin....

But I happen to be what you guys call a black Puerto Rican, my family happens to be from Bayamon, the majority of my family is pretty much black. I have to say the census is completely wrong in Puerto Rico I mean 80 percent white??? Ive been to P.R. several times, at least 25 to 30 percent of the people Ive seen in San Juan look black, and 40 percent looked mix to me, the rest looked white (30 percent), I haven't been to Loiza yet, but Ive been to Fajardo and some parts of the eastern areas of Puerto Rico, and for the most part its almost all black and mullato with some white. Also I think about 30 percent or 35 percent of the people I saw in POnce were black and also again 40 percent looked mixed and about 25 percent looked white maybe. Mayaguez, I have some family there, I saw a lower percent of black colored Puerto Ricans in Mayaguez, about 15 or 20 percent of the people there were black, and 30 percent mixed, and about 50 percent white.

I love Puerto Rico either way, I'm definitely thinking about moving back, love to have my kids raised in that environment!
I had this same discussion with my neighbors. They were saying that you will find way more fair-skinned people in San Juan, which is the total opposite impression that I received. I think though that people we think are Afro/Mulatto PRican in the San Juan area could very well be Dominican immigrants, and you're not going to know unless you hear them talk. But yes, people of African ancestry seem to be the least represented on the west coast, without a doubt. I'd say my town San German is, at best, 1% Afro-Puerto Rican.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 PM

686 posts, read 1,543,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I had this same discussion with my neighbors. They were saying that you will find way more fair-skinned people in San Juan, which is the total opposite impression that I received. I think though that people we think are Afro/Mulatto PRican in the San Juan area could very well be Dominican immigrants, and you're not going to know unless you hear them talk. But yes, people of African ancestry seem to be the least represented on the west coast, without a doubt. I'd say my town San German is, at best, 1% Afro-Puerto Rican.

Actually most PR's aren't white or black/mulatto, most are actually quite tri-racial.

SpringerLink - Human Genetics, Volume 115, Number 1

Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 AM

2,226 posts, read 4,549,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
So if a genetics test was done you, would you be pretty confident that the results would come back saying you are genetically 100% European without a single drop of Taino and or African ancestry ?

You do know that if even 1% of your ancestors are Taino or African, you can not be considered White, you do know that right ? Are you familar with the one drop rule that disqualifies people who are not genetically 100% European from being White.

So are you 100% confident that none of your ancestors have ever mixed with a Puerto Rican who has Taino and or African ancestry ?

You can't go around calling yourself White if you have Black and or Taino looking people in your family.

The reason I call myself White is because there is not a single person in my entire family that racially looks like Jennifer Lopez. Everybody in my entire family looks lily Whitebread. Blue eyes, ginger red hair, blond hair, etc are all very much present in my family.

Nobody in my family has the high cheek bones and almond shaped eyes that you find among the Tainos and other Amerindian groups.

Can the same be said about your family Mr. "I am a White Hispanic".

-----

John

If you can't trace all your family to Europe, you are a suspect under the "one drop rule". I know PR's that totally descend from recent European migration.

In Europe, all Americans are judged by the same law you're applying here. I can trace my family to the Middle Ages, but you don't know where you came from or if your ancestors were Blacks or Indians.

For that, you would need a DNA test and you have 30 percent probability of coming out smoked.

Apart from that, in Europe we don't have Polish-Irish-Armenian-Italian-Turks-Russian-English-French-Comanche, that's an Anglo, but not an European.

You must remember that 28 percent of "White Americans" have Indian blood and 21 percent of "White Americans" have Subsaharan blood.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:51 AM

2,226 posts, read 4,549,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Most Americans I know have a definition of White that does not include having Taino or any other type of Amerindian ancestry.

I consider you a Mestizo because you are not genetically 100% European. You have people in your family tree that racially look like Pocahontas.

Racial purity is extremely rare in Puerto Rico.

That is why you never see any Puerto Rican families where everybody looks White.

Look at the family album of most Puerto Rican families and you will always see pictures of atleast one family member that looks Taino or Black.

I knew a Puerto Rican guy who looked like he could pass for a Jew, Italian, or Greek but has a grandmother who looks like she could be Donna Summer's twin sister. In other words he has African ancestry in his family tree and does not draw 100% of his family tree back to Spain.
---------------

If you are an Anglo and you can't trace all your family to Europe (either by ADN or documents), you are mixed.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM

24,672 posts, read 34,777,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Carmona View Post

Yes, James, your impressions of PR demographics are pretty much consistent with what I see there. About half of PR is probably white or near white, the rest are obviously black, mulatto or mestizo. Out West (Mayaguez, Cabo Rojo, etc.) is less black, east of San Juan (Fajardo, Carolina, Loiza), is more black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories