U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,536,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So like a good PR boy, I always understood that I am foremost Spanish, and likely have Taino and African blood in me, because that is what we are told PRs major influences were. Of course there were a variety of other settlers, including varying Europeans, Asians, Jews, etc, but the Spanish/Taino/African mix is the most abundant (for lack of a better word). That being said, I recently took a dna test to get some insight into my lineage, and discovered that I am basically 100% Arab (a mix of different Arab populations), and that the region of the world that I am most similar to, genetically, is not Latin America (or any Latin American country) or Europe, it is Mesopotamia (Iran/Iraq areas). In fact, my closest genetic relatives are the Kurds in Northern Iraq. So my questions are these: Both my parents are from PR, as are my grandparents, however I have virtually NO Spanish/European, Taino, or African influence of any substance, and am basically 100% of Arab descent. How is this possible? Is this common? How large was/is the middle eastern influence in Puerto Rico historically? Could PR be surpressing the role of middle eastern migration for some reason or maybe just doesn't know how large a role it played?
There were many Sephardi Jews that came to Puerto Rico since 1492 and continuously arrived and populated and settled the island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 09:55 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,536,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So like a good PR boy, I always understood that I am foremost Spanish, and likely have Taino and African blood in me, because that is what we are told PRs major influences were. Of course there were a variety of other settlers, including varying Europeans, Asians, Jews, etc, but the Spanish/Taino/African mix is the most abundant (for lack of a better word). That being said, I recently took a dna test to get some insight into my lineage, and discovered that I am basically 100% Arab (a mix of different Arab populations), and that the region of the world that I am most similar to, genetically, is not Latin America (or any Latin American country) or Europe, it is Mesopotamia (Iran/Iraq areas). In fact, my closest genetic relatives are the Kurds in Northern Iraq. So my questions are these: Both my parents are from PR, as are my grandparents, however I have virtually NO Spanish/European, Taino, or African influence of any substance, and am basically 100% of Arab descent. How is this possible? Is this common? How large was/is the middle eastern influence in Puerto Rico historically? Could PR be surpressing the role of middle eastern migration for some reason or maybe just doesn't know how large a role it played?
Converso Jews of Puerto Rico - YouTube

Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 AM

4,533 posts, read 6,775,118 times

Converso Jews of Puerto Rico - YouTube

Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,857,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
There are plenty of Afro Arabs in the Middle East! Remember that Arab is a cultural term.
That is true. More than 2 million people of African descent live in Saudi Arabia alone. A lot of people don't know this but Saudi Arabia has one of the largest African Diaspora populations in the world.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sa.html

Old 10-22-2014, 07:41 AM

229 posts, read 694,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
.... In the Y-chromosome, the haplogroup R1b (west European gene) is prevalent and is carried by over 50% of Mexican men. Haplogroups J1/J2 (Middle Eastern) and E1b1b (North African) combined show up in less than 20% of Mexican men. Haplogroups G, I, and R1a (Caucasus, Scandinavian/Balkans, and east Europeean, respectively) show up at around a combined 12% of Mexican males. Haplogroup Q (Amerindian/Native American) is carried by around 16% of Mexican males. Other haplogroups are also present in much smaller amounts. So yes, North Africans, Arabs, and Jews are ancestors of some Mexicans, but most of Mexicans’ male ancestors are Europeans (predominantly western Europeans) as shown by the high percentage of R1b and relatively high combined percentage of R1a, G, and I.

However, the percentage of J1, J2, and E1b1b is similar in Mexicans as it is in Spaniards. So this suggests that most Mexicans did not get this ancestry from North Africans and Middle Easterners directly, but rather they mostly got it from Spanish men who carried these lineages.
Can you link to the source material? Or do you know what kind of sample they used?

It would be interesting to see this information for the population in PR. I bet it would look quite different.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
All Lebanese in puerto Rico are 100% Catholics OK!!!

Old 12-21-2014, 03:37 PM

5,824 posts, read 8,589,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
Can you link to the source material? Or do you know what kind of sample they used?

It would be interesting to see this information for the population in PR. I bet it would look quite different.
Puerto Ricans mostly have a Taino maternal lineage (mtDNA) and European paternal lineages (y-chromosome), at least based on what shows with most Puerto Ricans that I share on 23andme (they happen to be distant cousins of mine, but we figure this out after it came up on 23andme) and on the information presented in a few anthropological forums.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:42 AM

724 posts, read 503,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
Well, if you know that the Arabs dominated Iberia for 300 years, this should not come as a surprise to you.

I do not know it for a fact, but I have always been convinced that my ancestry is of Arabic origin, probably through Spain. Even though all my immediate, back to my grand, grand parents where born in Puerto Rico.

Just as an exercise, watch any video taken in the streets of Iraq, Palestine, Lebanon, heck pick almost any middle eastern country, but mute the sound. Then ignore the local indicators, and just look at the faces. When I do that, I find myself thinking "that could easily be a Rio Piedras street scene"

Someone already prob said this but it's actually more like 900 years, so if your relatives are from Spain, especially southern Spain, you have Arab blood in your veins, no surprise there. So, most of Spain's expeditions to the new world got their start in southern Spain and therefore most of the Mariners that ended up staying in the new world were basically moors. It's really not much of a surprise that a puerto rican would have Arab blood. Also, DNA tests of Palestinian and Israeli populations show almost no discernible difference as far as racial makeup. If your from the "holy" land, as far as DNA is concerned the only difference is what fairy tale you tell your kids.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 AM

543 posts, read 894,000 times
I'm so going to revive this thread.

I've encountered tons of ME and Muslim people around Austin, and most of them would look like generic white people if they dress in western attire. I had a tow truck driver who served me who was from Iraq, but didn't look like it (he looked like a Brit). Before my husband started collecting his SS check, he worked for an IT company and most of his Muslim co-workers looked like generic white people despite their names.

It can go both ways.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 913 times
Sir, something is not accurate in what you have said. The are DNA tests made by a PHD on the Puerto Rican Population and what you said does not corresponds with the current knowledge.

Last edited by Martin Ibn Rubain; 06-25-2016 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories