U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay`·.¸¸ ><((((º>.·´¯`·><((((º>
4,533 posts, read 6,772,010 times
Reputation: 13502

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
The poet Victor Hernández Cruz writes about this frequently:

Coffee House Press: Books (http://www.coffeehousepress.org/themountaininthesea.asp - broken link)
Thanks for the link to this book. It seems like a very good book
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
 
3 posts, read 17,585 times
Reputation: 10
Remeber that the south of spain was taken by the moors for more than 500, some areas were conquered back during the reconquista. but many continued to be invaded and went on invaded for a total of perhaps 700 plus years. Whey would this relate to us as puertoricans. Well, the Spanish that came to our Island, did come from the South of Spain,
During the inquisition everyone was forced to become catholics, so it is possible that some of the spanish that came to the island were pure decendants of these moors, that later became catholics during the inquisition. I hope this helps ,, you can look up al andalus,, that was the name of spain during the moors invasion
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
 
3 posts, read 17,585 times
Reputation: 10
Remeber that the south of spain was taken by the moors for more than 500, some areas were conquered back during the reconquista. but many continued to be invaded and went on invaded for a total of perhaps 700 plus years. Whey would this relate to us as puertoricans. Well, the Spanish that came to our Island, did come from the South of Spain,
During the inquisition everyone was forced to become catholics, so it is possible that some of the spanish that came to the island were pure decendants of these moors, that later became catholics during the inquisition. I hope this helps ,, you can look up al andalus,, that was the name of spain during the moors invasion

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...#ixzz0i01tPJhg
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 02:52 PM
 
35 posts, read 62,507 times
Reputation: 22
There are a lot of Arabs in Puerto Rico. Tons. Then again, theres a lot of everyone, but with Arabs, I think its more than most other people, other than, say Dominicans and maybe some other hispanics(including haitians and jamiacans). But Arabs are up there in the minority population in PR. PR is a very respectable place, Puertoricans are very accepting of all people, more so than probably any other people on earth really, a true colorblind utopia. Sounds so fake, but its true.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
 
35 posts, read 62,507 times
Reputation: 22
Actually, to add to that, there was a Miss Universe from the country of Belize I think it was, anyway, she said that Puerto Rico was the only place on Earth she didnt notice her own skin color because people treated evberyone equally, she was black.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2010, 01:19 AM
 
177 posts, read 232,661 times
Reputation: 94
This is a great thread!

Here is what I found:

I have a few very old historical books and they point to the idea that the Taino are the descendants of the 10 Lost Tribes of Israel. Not only us, but all the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas.

In one of my books, it states that Columbus used translators of the Hebrew and Aramaic tongues to communicate with the Arawak People. In another, Bartolomeo De Las Casas is quoted saying that we are in fact the Lost Tribes of Israel and that they should be careful of their handling of us (paraphrasing).

In a documentary on languages that I saw around 15 years ago on TLC, it cited that the Native Languages of the People of the Americas were related to Hebrew and many were variants of it.

There is much more.

The Mormons also believe this, although they have their own distorted version which includes themselves( whites ).

This is something that was erased from our memories. We were taught that we were pagans and cannibals... of course, by our colonists.

I have embraced this as fact, If you read the Holy Bible, it totally describes the things that our people went through.

It is our History. The Bible also says that the Nation of Israel was replaced by impostors - read the Book of Obadiah.

Another things is the Geneology. They taught us that we trace our ancestry from our Mother. But the Bible teaches that Man's ancestry and Blessings are passed down through the Father.

I'm so glad you posted this. I hope you look at my reply with an open heart and research this for yourself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 AM
 
229 posts, read 694,168 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
This is a great thread!

Here is what I found:

I have a few very old historical books and they point to the idea that the Taino are the descendants of the 10 Lost Tribes of Israel. Not only us, but all the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas.

In one of my books, it states that Columbus used translators of the Hebrew and Aramaic tongues to communicate with the Arawak People...
These claims are based on conjecture not fact.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
Another things is the Geneology. They taught us that we trace our ancestry from our Mother. But the Bible teaches that Man's ancestry and Blessings are passed down through the Father.
You are referencing genetics not genealogy, mitochondrial inheritance specifically. Both parents contribute to your genetic print, but you only get mitochondrial DNA from your mother. Since only females pass on the mitochondrial DNA, you can trace genetic ancestry by the female side using it. The same cannot be done on the male side.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2010, 11:55 AM
 
177 posts, read 232,661 times
Reputation: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
These claims are based on conjecture not fact.

You are referencing genetics not genealogy, mitochondrial inheritance specifically. Both parents contribute to your genetic print, but you only get mitochondrial DNA from your mother. Since only females pass on the mitochondrial DNA, you can trace genetic ancestry by the female side using it. The same cannot be done on the male side.
Did you read the part where I wrote "Historical Books"?

So history in books is conjecture? I happen to have a reprint of Columbus' log entries published in the 1500's by the Varela family and it clearly points to this... is this conjecture?

How do you know about the "Mitochondrial Inheritance"? Did you read it in a book?

I did not say ANYTHING about "genetic imprint" - I spoke towards Tracing your Ancestry... you know, your Fore Fathers?

If I read something in Historical Documents and you read some "scientific" report claiming "mitochondrial inheritance", why is my view "conjecture", and yours fact?

The problem is that our people choose to believe lies rather than the truth.

Your answer does not even disprove my statements. You are just parroting what the people who own you want you to think and say.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 AM
 
229 posts, read 694,168 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
Did you read the part where I wrote "Historical Books"?

So history in books is conjecture?
You credit the "history books" that you chose as undeniable fact, but discredit other history books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
I happen to have a reprint of Columbus' log entries published in the 1500's by the Varela family and it clearly points to this... is this conjecture?
The part that Columbus brought with him translators who had aramaic, hebrew, and other middle eastern languages is not disputed. (I made the quote too long and included that part by mistake) They where expecting to find people who spoke these languages in their search for an alternate route to India.

The part that the Taino Indian where descendants of the 10 tribes of Isralel....Yes, as a matter of fact yes it is conjecture. Not on your part but whoever wrote the book you are reading. How could Columbus, Fray Bartolomé de las Casas, or anyone from their time know that the Taino Indians where descendants of the 10 tribes of Israel? just how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
How do you know about the "Mitochondrial Inheritance"? Did you read it in a book?
Several different sources(even TLC that you name as a reliable source), with science books being one of them. Key word, science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
I did not say ANYTHING about "genetic imprint" - I spoke towards Tracing your Ancestry... you know, your Fore Fathers?
what about our foremothers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
If I read something in Historical Documents and you read some "scientific" report claiming "mitochondrial inheritance", why is my view "conjecture", and yours fact?
Point of clarification, I did not mean your conjecture, but whoever claimed that the Taino where descendants of Israel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
The problem is that our people choose to believe lies rather than the truth.

Your answer does not even disprove my statements.
I did not mean to disprove anything, your statements disprove themselves. You even reference the mormons as a way of butressing your argument and in the same sentence discredit them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Borikua View Post
You are just parroting what the people who own you want you to think and say.
Now, this is just cute

Last edited by BuenoQueHacemohAhora; 04-26-2010 at 09:16 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,672 posts, read 34,771,335 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notepad View Post
There are a lot of Arabs in Puerto Rico. Tons. Then again, theres a lot of everyone, but with Arabs, I think its more than most other people, other than, say Dominicans and maybe some other hispanics(including haitians and jamiacans). But Arabs are up there in the minority population in PR. PR is a very respectable place, Puertoricans are very accepting of all people, more so than probably any other people on earth really, a true colorblind utopia. Sounds so fake, but its true.

I do not really believe that...........but I love PR.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top