U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,851,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalid30 View Post
First of all thank you for taking the time to ask that question I was emotional reading it and u ll know why, as you might know spain was invaded by north african arabs from morocco that stayed there for 700 years they ruled most of spain under the name of alandalus or andalucia and the last kingdom was Granada that was taken by christian spain in 1492 (remember that colombus discovered PR in 1493) if you want to know more about these arabs look up "moors" or "moriscos" in spanish..spain or andalucia was an incredible place of economical prosperity and culture (btw 4000 spanish words came from arabic) and you can still see some of it if you go to alhambra granada or to the city of cordoba spain, during that time muslims christians and jews lived in peace under the rule of the islamic arab sultans or caliphs that were btw very open and less conservative than some muslims now, anyway after spain took over they were given the choice to convert to christianity or leave the country some of them left to latin america (guess where :-) or north africa..but some stayed and pretended they converted but they didnt spanish king found out after a while and ordered them deported in 1609, they deported almost 1 million people just because they look arab and they might be muslim...anyway most of them came to morocco (and I am a direct descendant) and the rest went to italy turkey and latin america mostly dominican colombia and puerto rico, spain covered it up because it is such a shame but hey now its the subject of a big debate in spain (Documental y debate : La explulsión de los Moriscos - RTVE.es

You know I moved to the us 3 years ago and unlike other latinos as soon as I saw a puerto rican man or woman I would think they are from morocco...I knew about the story of moriscos so I did some more research to know why are they so similar to moroccans...I am going there next month also for that matter...we are brothers!
People seem to forget that not all the Moors were Arab. Many were indigenous African people that were Muslim converts who helped conquered Spain. Thats why the called them Moors meaning people with a darker skin complexion compared to the Spaniards. People also seem to forget that Arabs are not native people of North Africa. Its like saying a white man is a Native American.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 05-19-2011 at 12:57 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,385 times
The Spaniards were never very Moorish themselves.Sure they got conquered by the Moors for a long time,but the Moorish soldiers rarely brought Moorish women with them.Besides most of the Moors were BERBERS(Natives of North Africa,a Berber is not an Arab).There's different Berber groups : Amazighs(From the Atlas mountains in Morocco),Kabyles(From Kabylie in Algeria) and more,Berbers have their own culture,language(different Berber dialects like Chelha,Kabyle,Touareg...) and heritage.A Kurd is not an Arab either,Kurds aren't Semitic,Kurds also have their own language (Kurdish,but they have different dialects too),their own culture and their own heritage.I don't think Central Americans,South Americans or Spaniards look Arab or Middle Eastern,just because you have dark hair,skin and eyes does not mean you're Arab or Middle Eastern.I know some Arabs who are really pale and have light brown hair and green eyes,but you can tell they're Arabs because of Arabesque facial feautures.I have yet to see a Puerto Rican with Arabesque facial feautures.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM

2,875 posts, read 3,414,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamshir View Post
The Spaniards were never very Moorish themselves.Sure they got conquered by the Moors for a long time,but the Moorish soldiers rarely brought Moorish women with them.Besides most of the Moors were BERBERS(Natives of North Africa,a Berber is not an Arab).There's different Berber groups : Amazighs(From the Atlas mountains in Morocco),Kabyles(From Kabylie in Algeria) and more,Berbers have their own culture,language(different Berber dialects like Chelha,Kabyle,Touareg...) and heritage.A Kurd is not an Arab either,Kurds aren't Semitic,Kurds also have their own language (Kurdish,but they have different dialects too),their own culture and their own heritage.I don't think Central Americans,South Americans or Spaniards look Arab or Middle Eastern,just because you have dark hair,skin and eyes does not mean you're Arab or Middle Eastern.I know some Arabs who are really pale and have light brown hair and green eyes,but you can tell they're Arabs because of Arabesque facial feautures.I have yet to see a Puerto Rican with Arabesque facial feautures.
I live in Southern California. There's a fair number of Middle Easterners and Persians (i.e., Iranians) in this area. Several years ago, I went shopping at a local market which has a section devoted to Middle Eastern products. An older woman approached me speaking in Arabic. She was surprised to find out I was not Arab.

In addition to that experience, almost every time I fly, I get "randomly selected" by TSA personnel for a meticulous inspection. When I don't get "randomly selected" I've noticed that someone from TSA will strike up a conversation with me. I guess they're just checking my accent.

It use to bother me, but not any more. Those guys are just doing their job in making sure that I don't blow up in the plane.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:00 PM

543 posts, read 893,497 times
^^This had happen to me twice.

The first time, there was a bunch of Middle Eastern people ahead of me in the check point. When it came my turn, they asked me if I was with them 'cause I sounded like them, and I look like them but taller. They gave up when the supervisor came by and said "can't you guys see that she's taller than all of those Middle Eastern people? She must be Russian!"

The second time the guards though I had explosives hidden on my contact lenses fluid (the bottle was sealed!).

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM

674 posts, read 1,376,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ALTAWK718 View Post
Don't have a lot of time but Puerto Ricans have very significant Arab genetics mostly from especially Lebanon, Palestine/Israel, and to a lesser extent Syria, and Iraq. Two reasons for this. One was Muslim expansion through Spain and intermixing, two was many of the conquistadors were Arabic from these countries primarily. Third was direct Lebanese/Palestinian migration to the island. Very interesting.
Although she was born in Colombia, Shakira's parents are Lebanese.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:47 PM

294 posts, read 629,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So like a good PR boy, I always understood that I am foremost Spanish, and likely have Taino and African blood in me, because that is what we are told PRs major influences were. Of course there were a variety of other settlers, including varying Europeans, Asians, Jews, etc, but the Spanish/Taino/African mix is the most abundant (for lack of a better word). That being said, I recently took a dna test to get some insight into my lineage, and discovered that I am basically 100% Arab (a mix of different Arab populations), and that the region of the world that I am most similar to, genetically, is not Latin America (or any Latin American country) or Europe, it is Mesopotamia (Iran/Iraq areas). In fact, my closest genetic relatives are the Kurds in Northern Iraq. So my questions are these: Both my parents are from PR, as are my grandparents, however I have virtually NO Spanish/European, Taino, or African influence of any substance, and am basically 100% of Arab descent. How is this possible? Is this common? How large was/is the middle eastern influence in Puerto Rico historically? Could PR be surpressing the role of middle eastern migration for some reason or maybe just doesn't know how large a role it played?
Discovering that you have Arab influences sure blew you away...huh?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 PM

37 posts, read 102,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Discovering that you have Arab influences sure blew you away...huh?
Most Mainland Americans of Puerto Rican decent do not know anything of the significant Arab influence on the island. Almost everyone I know thinks they are a perfect mix of Euro, Indigenous Taino (Asian), Sub-Saharan African which is not even realistic. A lot of Puerto Ricans I grew up with are obviously full southern European ancestry or mostly with some having minimal African and little if any Taino. Many likely have ancestry from Arab countries as well, some very significant if not full descent. Then there are those Black Puerto Ricans, with some minimal Euro/White genetics.

Walking through a Puerto Rican neighborhood you might as well be in Palermo, Sicily; Beirut, Lebanon; or Valletta, Malta with Blacks sprinkled here and there.

Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,851,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I live in Southern California. There's a fair number of Middle Easterners and Persians (i.e., Iranians) in this area. Several years ago, I went shopping at a local market which has a section devoted to Middle Eastern products. An older woman approached me speaking in Arabic. She was surprised to find out I was not Arab.

In addition to that experience, almost every time I fly, I get "randomly selected" by TSA personnel for a meticulous inspection. When I don't get "randomly selected" I've noticed that someone from TSA will strike up a conversation with me. I guess they're just checking my accent.

It use to bother me, but not any more. Those guys are just doing their job in making sure that I don't blow up in the plane.
Even still, most Americans can usually tell the difference between someone who is Hispanic vs. someone who is of Middle Eastern/South Asian origin.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 AM

37 posts, read 102,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Even still, most Americans can usually tell the difference between someone who is Hispanic vs. someone who is of Middle Eastern/South Asian origin.
Only through mannerisms, styles of dress, language, customs and even then. Good luck with the Americanized. Biologically Latin Americans can be of any race and the same goes for Middle Eastern/North Africans.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 AM

8,750 posts, read 16,436,345 times
EdGuitar..I can't say it blew my mind, but it is not part of the story we were sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories