Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 08:06 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,962,695 times

Advertisements

I've been viewing Google Maps, and personally I like the look the of the towns, mountain roads, etc. Nice density for small towns that make them look quite walkable. Quite a few cool looking homes that hug the mountain roads throughout rural Puerto Rico as well.

Is there much of a demand for people to live in the smaller towns and the rural countryside? Or most people relocating to Puerto Rico are looking more at the touristic areas of Rincon or SJ suburban satellite cities?

Those out of the way places look really cool throughout the island of Puerto Rico! If I were to live in the PR, I'd want a small dense town, or a home hugging the mountainside on a country road.

Looking pretty cool there, Puerto Rico!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 01:34 PM

185 posts, read 297,889 times
I spent a week in Condado a few years back, rented a car and made a day trip to Arecibo Observatory (RIP), and was also impressed by the rural and remote areas.

I remember a lot of small farms and it looked as if people might just be getting by, but if one was living at a slower pace in a peaceful area like that, it would probably be okay.

Its my understanding that outside of larger cities, less English is spoken. My Spanish is limited and if I were to move to Puerto Rico I would make becoming fluent in Spanish a high priority.

My current occupation has little demand outside of larger cities and I think commuting into an area like San Juan, Condado, etc., would probably be a hassle. Driving on Expreso 22 (the toll road) was no problem, but driving in the city was a challenge.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:30 PM

13,272 posts, read 4,109,814 times
Puerto Ricans in the rural places are very friendly and very open. You will learn the language quick by being around them everyday. If I had to move back to the island it would be rural all the way. Play dominoes all day, the food the music and the atmosphere. Going to the city they have to force me to go.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:43 AM

9,780 posts, read 14,616,562 times
Like SanJuanStar said, you will become fluent at least in spoken Spanish in the Puerto Rican dialect simply by living there. The exception is of you live in a bubble of other Americans which due to a lack of constant contact with Puerto Rican your Spanish will be limited to hola, adiós, por favor, and maybe gracias. Perhaps your vocabulary includes words like pare, salida, solo; etc by virtue that they are on traffic signs. lol

Old 03-21-2021, 10:47 AM

5,647 posts, read 11,202,844 times
I've visited most of the Spanish-speaking lands in the Americas except for Cuba, DR, PR & Venezuela. If the Covid epidemic ends and we return to normal travel mode for tourists in the next few years, PR is one of the places I'd like to visit. I speak fluent Spanish and can handle the PR or Caribbean dialect of Spanish (origins from Canary Islands dialect). I graduated from a public high school in Chile, which also uses some Canary Islands dialect in pronunciation, or lack of pronunciation of many letters such as S or D.

I'm retired and currently living in Germany, but don't plan to stay here past September. I'll likely return to the US at that point, and decide if I want to put down roots somewhere, or find another place outside the US to stay for 6 months to a year. PR would be easy, because no visa paperwork needed and my Medicare and secondary health insurance in the US would cover me.

I like bicycle riding and enjoy riding on back country roads that don't have a lot of car traffic. Here in Germany, it is a bike riding paradise. I can get to almost anyplace on a bike and the car drivers pass with plenty of room and courtesy on rural roads.

Are there some towns in the central mountains of PR that would make a good home base, where it is possible to bike ride on the rural roads without extreme risk? Low traffic volume is what I prefer. The roads can be paved or unpaved, hilly or not hilly. The terrain looks pretty challenging when I look at a Google Maps satellite view.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:13 PM
mym

707 posts, read 1,164,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
where it is possible to bike ride on the rural roads without extreme risk? Low traffic volume is what I prefer. The roads can be paved or unpaved, hilly or not hilly. The terrain looks pretty challenging when I look at a Google Maps satellite view.
Not in the interior.

the hills are too much. the roads are too narrow. sight lines obscured by vegetation. I did see bicycle lanes in Isabella but thats coastal. i just wouldnt recommend it.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Puerto Ricans in the rural places are very friendly and very open. You will learn the language quick by being around them everyday. If I had to move back to the island it would be rural all the way. Play dominoes all day, the food the music and the atmosphere. Going to the city they have to force me to go.
Playing dominos all day - what a cool image! How are the small towns for having people out and about? I can't get a good sense based on youtube/google maps.

Old 07-01-2021, 05:54 PM
mym

707 posts, read 1,164,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Playing dominos all day - what a cool image! How are the small towns for having people out and about? I can't get a good sense based on youtube/google maps.
i can tell you what it was like but im not sure if any of us still live there.

towns are hot. maybe the plaza will cool off but the narrow streets in the tropical sun are like an oven.

now rural - thats up in the hills. most likely your house on the side of a slope or if you're lucky a 1/4 acre with a cement brick house. theres a mango tree and a breadfruit tree across the street and 12 banana trees.
You meet people at the fence. good friends make it to the marquesina / patio - an outside gathering place, could be an open covered garage. but it is outside. a single naked lighbulb lights the space. the floor is laminate tile. and in the middle,

thats where the domino table goes.

Old 07-01-2021, 06:28 PM

3,554 posts, read 4,364,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post

towns are hot. maybe the plaza will cool off but the narrow streets in the tropical sun are like an oven.

now rural - thats up in the hills. most likely your house on the side of a slope or if you're lucky a 1/4 acre with a cement brick house. theres a mango tree and a breadfruit tree across the street and 12 banana trees.
You meet people at the fence. good friends make it to the marquesina / patio - an outside gathering place, could be an open covered garage. but it is outside. a single naked lighbulb lights the space. the floor is laminate tile. and in the middle,

My maternal grandparents lived in a place such as described above. It was inland, hilly, desolate, and their house was situated on the side of a slope. During the short time I lived with my grandparents, I recall hot days with no breeze. I would look at tree leaves for signs of air flowing by. My grandparents' house had plenty of oscillating fans, but no AC. It was hot and the home's corrugated tin roof did not help. But hey, you dealt with it and got through it.

After a while, I move in with my parents who lived within a short drive to the beach. On hot Sundays, this boy put on his tennis shoes, put change in his pocket, and jogged 7 miles to Cerro Gordo beach. I would spend the entire day beating the heat by swimming and relaxing.

Old 07-02-2021, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post

beautiful! i love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories